• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if it is possible to use FaceTime via headphones, while simultaneously sending Podcasts audio to a Bluetooth speaker? Or does it have to be entirely one or the other?

One or the other at present. iOS doesn't support multiple streams of audio. Except for whatever hack Snapchat is using

Mistake

Just so I'm clear, there is no way to lock the screen horizontally? I can't find anything. It's one big reason I jailbroke my 4S

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any way to have only certain phone numbers ring (others being silent), but not using 'do not disturb'?

Wife wants a 'work' mode where she'll get notifications for important emails and calls only. Emails being handled by Gmail app which allows notifications only for primary inbox

Any way to have only certain phone numbers ring (others being silent), but not using 'do not disturb'?

Wife wants a 'work' mode where she'll get notifications for important emails and calls only. Emails being handled by Gmail app which allows notifications only for primary inbox

You can set certain numbers in contacts to ignore DND. In the contact go to edit, then ringtone, then set emergency bypass

That's all I can think of

Vuze

Is it possible to share a devices photo stream with other Apple devices that are not using the source iCloud account? (using push technology and not cloud syncing)

Is it possible to share a devices photo stream with other Apple devices that are not using the source iCloud account? (using push technology and not cloud syncing)

Only though iCloud Photo Sharing, which right now isn't an automatic thing. You have to manually put photos into it and it compresses both photos and videos

Hopefully there's some development on this front in 8 days

Vuze

Only though iCloud Photo Sharing, which right now isn't an automatic thing. You have to manually put photos into it and it compresses both photos and videos

Hopefully there's some development on this front in 8 days
Meh. But then again, I think Google Photos only gained this shared "streaming" at I/O this year, right? Kinda curious as to why, it seems like a no brainer for couples, parents...

Link

The Autumn Wind
New problem. I'm not sure if this was due to the latest iOS update or the latest iTunes update, but iTunes will not recognize my phone as being connected via USB anymore. Ultimately, this means I can no longer update the phone or save a backup to my computer. Anyone know how to resolve this issue? I really hate relying on doing that stuff through iCloud, as it's a lot slower.

New problem. I'm not sure if this was due to the latest iOS update or the latest iTunes update, but iTunes will not recognize my phone as being connected via USB anymore. Ultimately, this means I can no longer update the phone or save a backup to my computer. Anyone know how to resolve this issue? I really hate relying on doing that stuff through iCloud, as it's a lot slower.

Based on what you said I'm assuming your phone is on the latest version and your iTunes is completely up to date?

Ros8105

I had the same problem with my iPhone and Windows. This fixed it:

If you use a Windows PC
Follow these steps to reinstall the Apple Mobile Device USB driver:
Disconnect your device from the computer.
Reconnect your device. If iTunes opens, close it.
Press the Windows and R key on your keyboard to open the Run command.
In the Run window, enter:
%ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers
Click OK.
Right-click on the usbaapl64.inf or usbaapl.inf file and select Install.
https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204095

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Cheapest smartwatch/fitness device that will vibrate if you get a notification (mainly just texts but emails would be a bonus too). Wife finding it hard to adjust to her SE after her Xperia M4 which has a little flashing LED so she can easily tell at a glance if she missed a notification

hirokazu

Cheapest smartwatch/fitness device that will vibrate if you get a notification (mainly just texts but emails would be a bonus too). Wife finding it hard to adjust to her SE after her Xperia M4 which has a little flashing LED so she can easily tell at a glance if she missed a notification
Does the Xperia continually flash until you tend to it? There's a hidden Accessibility setting that makes the rear camera LED flash when you receive a notification, but not continuously.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does the Xperia continually flash until you tend to it? There's a hidden Accessibility setting that makes the rear camera LED flash when you receive a notification, but not continuously.

I think so yes. Tiny hidden LED under the front panel that blinks dimly every few seconds.

Will check out the accessibility thing

Edit: ah seems like a 'one and done' thing. Plus really bright

Not a lot out there about iOS 11, most places are reporting:

- ”a refreshed user-interface"
- ”new edition" of the Apple Music app that "better showcases video."
- major Siri updates in iOS 11, introducing contextual learning abilities and deep integration with iMessage and iCloud.
- Group FaceTime, up to 5 at a time.
- iPad specific features

following is from some "deleted Reddit post", so mountain of salt and all that:

You'll be able to try these new features on iOS 11 (beta comes out in June):
Group FaceTime video calling with up to 5 people.
Peer-to-Peer Apple Pay. Apple is completely revamping the Wallet app (renaming it to Pay) and adding social functionality. There will be a social feed, just like Venmo. The new Pay app will also have an iMessage extension that allows you to send cash via iMessage.
FaceTime Audio is going to become the default calling method for iPhone users. Meaning if you call any iPhone user, it will automatically use FaceTime Audio so that you can enjoy a crisp, high quality calling experience. If you call a non-iOS phone, it will fallback to the older cellular calling technology (the one that is currently standard and sounds terrible).
Intelligent, automatic low power mode. It will study your low power mode habits (how often and when you turn it on) and adapt to that schedule. It will also be location and context based. For example, if you leave your home wifi network and have 20% or less, it will turn on low power mode automatically.

-Automator will be unveiled at WWDC and ship with iOS 11 and macOS 10.13.
-The app will be based on Workflow, which Apple recently acquired. Automator will have deeper -OS/iCloud integration with advanced Siri support.
-Apple is killing the Home app in iOS 11. Home functionality will be built into Automator.
-The new Automator app will also be available on Mac. It will replace the older-generation Automator that currently exists on macOS.

That's the one thing that's really irritating me about Apple music. I feel like they wait an entire year for substantial updates to the music app. Just to have a bullet point for the new version of ios.

Wish they were more iterative with Apple music.

Guess Who

Banned
Not a lot out there about iOS 11, most places are reporting:

- “a refreshed user-interface”
- “new edition" of the Apple Music app that "better showcases video."
- major Siri updates in iOS 11, introducing contextual learning abilities and deep integration with iMessage and iCloud.
- Group FaceTime, up to 5 at a time.
- iPad specific features

following is from some "deleted Reddit post", so mountain of salt and all that:

That Reddit post is some bullshit. No fucking way they turn around Workflow into a first-party, iOS and Mac cross-platform Automator in less than three months of acquisition.

Majine

Banned
Bolting on video to Apple Music screams of iTunes all over again.

Just give it its own app.

I was so anticipating them finally burying iTunes into the fucking ground and building something new out of the pieces. But then Microsoft announced iTunes coming to Windows Store, so I guess that's out of the picture for this year. What a bummer.

I was so anticipating them finally burying iTunes into the fucking ground and building something new out of the pieces. But then Microsoft announced iTunes coming to Windows Store, so I guess that's out of the picture for this year. What a bummer.

If it's music related videos it makes sense. Documentaries, interviews, content...etc. Non music related video content has no place.

I thought maybe they'd try to fold podcast content into the music app but I like music being just about music.

Reddit post seems insane to me. Not just because of the Automator stuff (though I guess if they had been working really close to the Workflow team for a while before the official acquisition it would be possible?) but for other things like killing the Home app instead, and the "video" focused Apple Music. I believe that video will be getting its own tab and section and stuff but to me that doesn't constitute a redesign

giga

I've been asking for FT Audio to be default like iMessage since forever. Can't imagine what took them so long other than carrier bullshit.

jstripes

Banned
I've been asking for FT Audio to be default like iMessage since forever. Can't imagine what took them so long other than carrier bullshit.

As long as you can disable it on the cell network. Not everyone is comfortable using their limited data.

giga

iMessage uses more data than FT audio will ever use, especially with all the media sharing that's done through there now.

Yeah, thought this might be the year. Maybe they will start moving some pieces out like Video + Podcasts (which they did rebrand recently)

giga

It could be that iTunes lives for people who want syncing and old features like that while they introduce separate apps for macOS.

iMessage uses more data than FT audio will ever use, especially with all the media sharing that's done through there now.

Eh... just checked my stats. Since September 16 2016, "Messaging Services" have used 533MB of cell data. Which is essentially nothing. I would have to imagine that sustained streaming audio would be more than that over 9 months but we'll see

Vuze

Yeah, no way that reddit post is real. Workflow system level integration at this point and killing the home app? No way.

That being said, I'm hyped. First year I'm actually going to get the iOS beta since I have a "spare" device.

giga

Eh... just checked my stats. Since September 16 2016, "Messaging Services" have used 533MB of cell data. Which is essentially nothing. I would have to imagine that sustained streaming audio would be more than that over 9 months but we'll see

3.8GB here.

FT audio over LTE is like 1MB/minute. To match your Messaging Services usage, that would be more than 8 hours of talking over cellular.

3.8GB here.

FT audio over LTE is like 1MB/minute. To match your Messaging Services usage, that would be more than 8 hours of talking over cellular.

Just checked my call stats, I'm on board now. Since a September I've talked on the phone for 35 hours apparently, and most of that was A) to a business so FT audio wouldn't apply and B) in my house where I'm on wifi so data usage doesn't matter

Bring on the FT audio being default!

Give me encrypted calls by default. Would be so amazing.

Also with so many robo dialers these days, might not answer calls unless it's a known number or FaceTime moving forward.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I feel like they've revamped the music app a bunch of times lately and it's gotten less intuitive each time.

hirokazu

Yeah, no way that reddit post is real. Workflow system level integration at this point and killing the home app? No way.
Yeah, killing the Home app seems a bit odd but I can see why Automator would be a good fit for Homekit. Still, it's only been three months since they acquired Workflow. Has Apple ever repurposed an acquisition that fast?

I feel like they've revamped the music app a bunch of times lately and it's gotten less intuitive each time.

Just making shit larger for the sake of making shit larger is a piss poor design choice. I also miss the way the background would change color depending on the album art. Was really nice.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Just making shit larger for the sake of making shit larger is a piss poor design choice. I also miss the way the background would change color depending on the album art. Was really nice.
Unfortunately, that design aesthetic isn't limited to Apple. I feel like everyone is doing it and I hate it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
How about you focus on making the Music app showcase music better. By which I mean local music. Not streaming. Like why is there no landscape player on the iPhone Plus? I also still can't "Add to up next" at all on my Plus, which I set up as new when I got it. Also make it so playlists update themselves live. (For instance, a playlist sorted by last played or play count should update itself when a song is finished playing.) And let us change the sort order on the fly and maybe optionally have that sync back to our iTunes. Also iTunes in the Cloud with live playlist updating when I play my music so I don't have to sync my phone just to update my play counts.

Sch1sm

Figure here gets more traffic than the OSX, thread, so.

I recently did a factory reset on my iPhone 6, and now I can't seem to get Handoff for Messages/FaceTime to work between it and my rMBP mid-2014. At all. No code shows up. I feel like I've tried so many different "solutions" on the Internet but they just aren't working out for me.

1) Handoff is enabled on all devices in questions.
2) They're connected to the same WiFi
3) They're connected to Bluetooth
4) They're signed in with the exact same AppleID address

I can't figure out for the life of me why it's being so problematic. Been a good week since my iPhone reset and I've just been struggling along. Don't wanna go ahead and reset OSX entirely, but I doubt that's the problem anyway because it was literally working a week ago. ;-;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom