• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Are there any apps that allow mixed use of music, podcasts, and audiobooks? Like is it possible to queue up one chapter of a book, then play ten songs, then a podcast, etc? Spotify allows podcasts now, which gets it close, but it can’t access audiobooks.

Also:
Has anyone done professional work with photo or video processing on iPad? I hope to get back into making some side cash doing events and portraits, but I want to improve my mobile workflow. Any tips, must-have apps, warnings?
If you have an iPad Pro, Affinity is a fantastic image editor with cloud integration (Dropbox etc.), layers, pencil support, compatibility with PSDs and most of anything else you’d want from Photoshop. It’s ended up replacing Photoshop in all but the most complex image edits because it’s just so convenient.

Red

If you have an iPad Pro, Affinity is a fantastic image editor with cloud integration (Dropbox etc.), layers, pencil support, compatibility with PSDs and most of anything else you’d want from Photoshop. It’s ended up replacing Photoshop in all but the most complex image edits because it’s just so convenient.
Affinity was recommended for me previously. I’ll have to check it out. I am getting frustrated trying to work with layers in pixomatic on iPhone. Surely iPad apps would be better.

ChRoNiTe

Haven’t had any issues with iOS 11 really until today on my 7+. If I disconnect from my office’s wireless network using control center it will re-connect again after my phone’s screen goes to sleep. It used to stay disconnected until either I reconnected or the next day I showed up for work. Pretty annoying.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Are you able to redeem the gift card at all? Because after that you can add your iTunes Pass to your Wallet, which should have the recently added funds.

To add your iTunes Pass to Wallet:

Open App Store > Tap on your Apple ID icon/picture on the top right > Scroll down to iTunes Pass > Add iTunes Pass
It's an Apple Store gift card. Not an iTunes gift card. For some reason Apple specifically keeps the two separate, even though it's all money already in their pockets. If I could have, I would have just thrown it on my iTunes account by now. It could pay my iCloud bill for over a year.

It actually says on the back "Apple Store and Online Store only" and specifies it cannot be used on the iTunes store. I just tried putting the code in, double checked too, and it says it's invalid.

I guess I should just try and find something to buy with it before it expires. (If it expires. Google seems to imply it doesn't expire ever. But also says iTunes cards expire. So why make iTunes cards expire but not Apple Store one's?) I wish I'd found this card before I got my laptop fixed and bought a new charger for my MacBook and that $70 iPhone case.

It's an Apple Store gift card. Not an iTunes gift card. For some reason Apple specifically keeps the two separate, even though it's all money already in their pockets. If I could have, I would have just thrown it on my iTunes account by now. It could pay my iCloud bill for over a year.

It actually says on the back "Apple Store and Online Store only" and specifies it cannot be used on the iTunes store. I just tried putting the code in, double checked too, and it says it's invalid.

I guess I should just try and find something to buy with it before it expires. (If it expires. Google seems to imply it doesn't expire ever. But also says iTunes cards expire. So why make iTunes cards expire but not Apple Store one's?) I wish I'd found this card before I got my laptop fixed and bought a new charger for my MacBook and that $70 iPhone case.

Apple keeps the cards separate because iTunes gift cards often go on sale because it’s used to buy digital goods, while Apple Store gift cards usually don’t because it’s good for physical goods. If you could buy Apple store gift cards at 20% off, that’s a huge discount on a MacBook or iPhone or whatever you want.

Anyway, yes, a lot of older gift cards don’t have the QR code and can’t be added to Wallet. And no, they don’t expire.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Apple keeps the cards separate because iTunes gift cards often go on sale because it’s used to buy digital goods, while Apple Store gift cards usually don’t because it’s good for physical goods. If you could buy Apple store gift cards at 20% off, that’s a huge discount on a MacBook or iPhone or whatever you want.

Anyway, yes, a lot of older gift cards don’t have the QR code and can’t be added to Wallet. And no, they don’t expire.
I guess that makes sense. I’ll just have to figure out what to buy with it. I do need a new charger for my iPhone 7 Plus. What’s the fastest one I can get from Apple? The 12W one? Of course I could also just hold onto it until I buy my next computer.

hirokazu

When I tried to delete an app yesterday, the app icon wasn't removed from the homescreen. Instead, it was only dimmed. The app title was gone, however. Tapping it didn't do anything, but I was still able to move it around in wiggle mode. There was no X button to delete it, though.
It was gone after restarting my device.
Yeah, that happens to me too. It seems to be uninstalling it when the icon dims, you don't have to restart the device, it'll be removed when it's done. Overall it seems both updating and uninstalling apps takes a lot longer than it used to.

Maybe when it comes to uninstalling, it's actually giving feedback on the uninstall process now, whereas before it'd just remove the icon instantaneously while it's actually still removing it in the background.

Giolon

Where does iHealth store its data? Only local?

Health stores its data only local, unless you enable it in iCloud, then it keeps a copy there for syncing across devices (if you have multiple iPhones I guess). The data is also kept in iCloud backups and encrypted local (iTunes) backups.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Health stores its data only local, unless you enable it in iCloud, then it keeps a copy there for syncing across devices (if you have multiple iPhones I guess). The data is also kept in iCloud backups and encrypted local (iTunes) backups.

Thanks. Disabled the iCloud Setting.

Maybe someone else has the problem, the Nike+ Running Club app has issues since the update from 28th september... It looks like it doesnt work anymore when put in background after a few minutes, the blue badge goes away and it stops tracking my runs. I have to do it this way, because I make a workout from another app, the Nike Workouts are shit for me, unless there is a way to make custom plans I wont switch.

The changelog said something that I now have to give Nike Plus access to iHealth and I am testing right no, if the app still stops tracking GPS, but I am curious to hear experiences from other people

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I guess that makes sense. I’ll just have to figure out what to buy with it. I do need a new charger for my iPhone 7 Plus. What’s the fastest one I can get from Apple? The 12W one? Of course I could also just hold onto it until I buy my next computer.

yes.

The 8 onwards support faster charging using a 29W USB C charger from apple and a USB-C to lightning cable from apple.

However it isn't much faster - but it is much more expensive. So personally I'd stick with the 12W ipad charger. A good 2.4A USB charger should be a similar speed too

SOLDIER

I am really tired of constantly having to restart my iPad in order to have the keys on my Smart Keyboard work. I have to do this at least twice a day.

Is there no fix for this currently?

Breqesk

Those in ”older notifications" you can just tap the X, but on current ones I don't think so. Really irritating if you have a 3D Touch enabled phone.

It's really irritating if you don't, too. Heck, if anything, having a phone that lets you clear all notifications without 3D Touch makes the iPad's ridiculously arbitrary feature limitations that much more infuriating.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Are there known GPS issues in iOS 11? I had the idea that maybe the GPS connections just goes away and maybe that causes the issues

Those in “older notifications” you can just tap the X, but on current ones I don’t think so. Really irritating if you have a 3D Touch enabled phone.
But even th old ones I have to spam the X, apparently it’s alleviated on the phone by 3D Touch to clear multiple days but iPad doesn’t have 3D Touch. But yeah, new ones forcing swiping is incompetence.

Number45

Weird. I’m sure once everything moves down from the current notification you can just tap the X and get the option to clear.

EDIT. Yup, was just able to do this.

aravuus

When do the notifications move down to the list of old ones?

The notification system is fucking dumb for sure, at least on an iPad. Wish they'd just copy android when it comes to this.

Weird. I’m sure once everything moves down from the current notification you can just tap the X and get the option to clear.

EDIT. Yup, was just able to do this.
Yes, but it clears on a daily basis. If I have to clear mon, tues, wed the I have to press it 6 times. You’re supposed to be able to clear multiple days by 3D pressing the x so it says clear all but iPads don’t have 3D Touch so I was hoping for an alternative.

Number45

Yes, but it clears on a daily basis. If I have to clear mon, tues, wed the I have to press it 6 times. You’re supposed to be able to clear multiple days by 3D pressing the x so it says clear all but iPads don’t have 3D Touch so I was hoping for an alternative.
Ah, I get what you mean now. Hadn't encountered this because I clear mine relatively frequently.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Battery drain came back with a vengeance. I'm going to try installing the 11.1 beta, it can't possibly get any worse.

edit: already worth it for 3D multitasking.

I don't know if this is the right thread for it, but...

I have an iPad 3. It's almost 6 years old. The battery is not great anymore and only lasts a few hours and it takes a solid 24 hours of being plugged in to fully charge. This is kind of annoying. Newer games and apps run really slow. I mostly use my iPad for internet surfing and Twitch watching before bed. Twitch recently updated and now it runs pretty bad, crashing occasionally, and requiring me to reset the app sometimes if I minimize the app and come back to it later.

What's a good model to upgrade from that would be fairly similar to the iPad 3, but better?

I was looking at the smaller iPad Pro, but also the new iPad that's just called iPad, but that seems to be a more budget oriented model?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
New iPad is decent. Loses the laminated screen which is a shame but otherwise a great option. For normal use the iPad Pro 10.5 is gorgeous but difficult to justify the premium

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I always tell my roommate to always update her phone, and she did 11.0.3 last night. She ha 11.0.2 previously.
I was playing a game and she came to me frantically telling me the phone updated, but would no longer accept the passcode she's always used on it.

Has this ever happened to anyone?

I had to put the phone into DFU mode, do another 'upgrade' via iTunes to 11.0.3 after which the phone was still disabled when it restarted, but then the passcode now worked.

So if that had not worked, and the phone was not able to be fully restored since "Find my iPhone" is on, how do you do it? I read online that you "remove the device" from Find my Device on icloud.com but we did that and the phone was still disabled. Not sure how that process works exactly.

I always tell my roommate to always update her phone, and she did 11.0.3 last night. She ha 11.0.2 previously.
I was playing a game and she came to me frantically telling me the phone updated, but would no longer accept the passcode she's always used on it.

Has this ever happened to anyone?

I had to put the phone into DFU mode, do another 'upgrade' via iTunes to 11.0.3 after which the phone was still disabled when it restarted, but then the passcode now worked.

So if that had not worked, and the phone was not able to be fully restored since "Find my iPhone" is on, how do you do it? I read online that you "remove the device" from Find my Device on icloud.com but we did that and the phone was still disabled. Not sure how that process works exactly.

You would restore her phone through DFU mode like you updated it, and then as you’re setting it up it would prompt for her appleID and password to get past the activation lock. As long as she had that info there was no risk.

Unless she doesn’t back up her phone, then that would be the risk

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I love offloading apps a lot, but it's a bit problematic.

I offloaded my Dragon Quest VIII app to save me 1.5GB or whatever but keep the save data since the iCloud syncing hasn't worked since iOS 8 or 9 I believe. So I didn't want to lose my save file, which is all the way on the final dungeon. So I offloaded the app like normal.

But this morning I accidentally tapped it which initiated a download, so of course I 3D Touch it to choose "cancel download". Well I should have just let it finish and offloaded again because cancelling a download of an offloaded app is buggy as heck (At least on the most recent 11.1 beta) and it puts the app icon in a sort of middle ground greyed out paused state. I left it like that all day and tonight decided to fix it. Normally I can reboot and it fixes it. It did it with the Twitter app the other day. Icon returned to the normal looking "download from iCloud" state. So I figure the same would happen with DQ8. Nope. Rebooting didn't fix it.

So silly me Iaccidentally tap it again and it starts downloading and decide I want to stop it again but I hit Cancel Download and the phone deletes the icon. What? No. I don't want that! So of course I'm semi-panicking that my save file is gone because it should not have deleted it. It should have returned it to an Offloaded state, at least from my perspective. The data should have stayed. So of course I redownload the app from the store and nope, file is gone.

So I weigh my options at this point. Either I restore my entire phone from a backup to get the files back or I let it go. If I restore there's the chance of losing any text messages from after the last backup. I check my iTunes and see that nope, my last backup was almost 48 hours ago. Apparently no matter how hard I try, iTunes won't backup my phone over WiFi. It acts like it is but it fails and doesn't tell me. So I check on the phone itself to see when my last iCloud backup was. Success! My last iCloud backup was from today at 6:20PM, about 7 minutes after my last text message (Why the hell did they delay, or even possibly cancel iCloud Message Syncing? That's the one feature I wanted in iOS 11!) so I went for it. I reset the phone and just restored from my iCloud backup. The files are back and my text messages are there. All apps are downloaded now. I had to set up Touch ID and add my credit card to Apple Pay again.

I just have to put my music back on. I just hope it syncs my custom tones. Apple seems to have removed Tone syncing from iTunes and I don't know why or how to get custom tones onto my phone anymore. Anyone know?

I love offloading apps a lot, but it's a bit problematic.

I offloaded my Dragon Quest VIII app to save me 1.5GB or whatever but keep the save data since the iCloud syncing hasn't worked since iOS 8 or 9 I believe. So I didn't want to lose my save file, which is all the way on the final dungeon. So I offloaded the app like normal.

But this morning I accidentally tapped it which initiated a download, so of course I 3D Touch it to choose "cancel download". Well I should have just let it finish and offloaded again because cancelling a download of an offloaded app is buggy as heck (At least on the most recent 11.1 beta) and it puts the app icon in a sort of middle ground greyed out paused state. I left it like that all day and tonight decided to fix it. Normally I can reboot and it fixes it. It did it with the Twitter app the other day. Icon returned to the normal looking "download from iCloud" state. So I figure the same would happen with DQ8. Nope. Rebooting didn't fix it.

So silly me Iaccidentally tap it again and it starts downloading and decide I want to stop it again but I hit Cancel Download and the phone deletes the icon. What? No. I don't want that! So of course I'm semi-panicking that my save file is gone because it should not have deleted it. It should have returned it to an Offloaded state, at least from my perspective. The data should have stayed. So of course I redownload the app from the store and nope, file is gone.

So I weigh my options at this point. Either I restore my entire phone from a backup to get the files back or I let it go. If I restore there's the chance of losing any text messages from after the last backup. I check my iTunes and see that nope, my last backup was almost 48 hours ago. Apparently no matter how hard I try, iTunes won't backup my phone over WiFi. It acts like it is but it fails and doesn't tell me. So I check on the phone itself to see when my last iCloud backup was. Success! My last iCloud backup was from today at 6:20PM, about 7 minutes after my last text message (Why the hell did they delay, or even possibly cancel iCloud Message Syncing? That's the one feature I wanted in iOS 11!) so I went for it. I reset the phone and just restored from my iCloud backup. The files are back and my text messages are there. All apps are downloaded now. I had to set up Touch ID and add my credit card to Apple Pay again.

I just have to put my music back on. I just hope it syncs my custom tones. Apple seems to have removed Tone syncing from iTunes and I don't know why or how to get custom tones onto my phone anymore. Anyone know?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201593

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Thank you! That worked. I mean at first I'm disappointed they had to remove the syncing from iTunes, but on the other hand I'm glad they're trimming down iTunes and even made sure you can still add this stuff. And it even remembered the custom assignments when the files were put back so that's a bonus. I didn't have to go back through and set all my ringtones and text tones to all my contacts again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so backup/restore saves app data? I assumed it wouldn't back up the actual apps because it can redownload those but didn't think about the app data. Does that mean if I have a lot of offline content (eg podcasts downloaded, maybe netflix downloads or plex synced shows), does it back those up too?

Separate question - got a skype call from the office at 3am this morning. Had do not disturn on and anyway my skype notifications are turned off. Can some apps ignore the DnD settings?

Ambitious

So, if I'm on the lockscreen, and I want to clear all current notifications, I have to first unlock the phone and lock it again in order to move them to "Earlier notifications", and only then I'm able to tap the X button..?
Obviously, this would clear earlier notifications too - so there's no way to clear only the current ones.

It's a fucking mess.

Dany

Banned
the worst part is how whenever any app updates there is a 75% chance it won't finish downloading and break the phone.

So much fun considering how many apps are updating to be iOS 11 compatible. I've literally had to restart my phone more times in the last week than I've had to before on iOS10.

the worst part is how whenever any app updates there is a 75% chance it won't finish downloading and break the phone.

So much fun considering how many apps are updating to be iOS 11 compatible. I've literally had to restart my phone more times in the last week than I've had to before on iOS10.

This has been a big problem on my iPhone on iOS 11, but for some reason my iPad Pro is fine.

I’m starting to get so frustrated with the performance of my 7 Plus on iOS 11 that I have seriously considered switching to something like the Pixel XL 2. I’m still going to try and snag an iPhone X preorder I think, but if I can’t get one or the final release of iOS 11.1 doesn’t fix my issues I’m going to seriously consider walking away from iPhones.

iPhone 7 Plus user here.

On 11.0.3 with Facebook Background Refresh turned off, my battery life is back to normal, if not better than ever.

I wonder if it has anything to do with Facebook integration of the OS being removed with iOS 11?

Vuze

So, if I'm on the lockscreen, and I want to clear all current notifications, I have to first unlock the phone and lock it again in order to move them to "Earlier notifications", and only then I'm able to tap the X button..?
Obviously, this would clear earlier notifications too - so there's no way to clear only the current ones.

It's a fucking mess.
If they bother you that much, why not swipe left on them to remove them (unless you get 20 at once but then I'd consider filtering them in the first place)? It works with multiple fingers at the same time too so you can easily clear 2 at once minimum.

Ambitious

If they bother you that much, why not swipe left on them to remove them (unless you get 20 at once but then I'd consider filtering them in the first place)? It works with multiple fingers at the same time too so you can easily clear 2 at once minimum.

At work, we use Skype for internal communication. We've got multiple channels for different purposes, so I get plenty of notifications all the time. Permanently muting them isn't an option, however, as the messages might be important.

Back with iOS 9, I had the notifications grouped by app, and I would simply clear all Skype notifications once in a while. Quick and convenient.

iPhone 7 Plus user here.

On 11.0.3 with Facebook Background Refresh turned off, my battery life is back to normal, if not better than ever.

I wonder if it has anything to do with Facebook integration of the OS being removed with iOS 11?

I’m going to give this a try today and see if it helps. There has been something wonky going on with Facebook in iOS 11 as every time I open the app it still takes awhile for any feed to load. I don’t even think having background refresh on for FB had any benefit whatsoever of actually keeping the data up to date in the background.

Two Words

I really haven’t liked the multitasking swapping in iOS for a while. The giant cards on iPhone are unwieldy. They should be smaller so you can more easily swap apps. Also, apps that are old and no longer in memory should just go away from the multitasking screen. Even if they aren’t using resources, they just clutter the space.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
You would restore her phone through DFU mode like you updated it, and then as you’re setting it up it would prompt for her appleID and password to get past the activation lock. As long as she had that info there was no risk.

Unless she doesn’t back up her phone, then that would be the risk

Thanks for the info.

So with any iOS device it's always possible to restore, but when trying to activate a locked device (say stolen, or random error) it should say it's locked and then you would just enter the correct Apple ID to unlock correct?

Luckily she does backup nightly to iCloud, so that was my plan.

Thanks for the info.

So with any iOS device it's always possible to restore, but when trying to activate a locked device (say stolen, or random error) it should say it's locked and then you would just enter the correct Apple ID to unlock correct?

Luckily she does backup nightly to iCloud, so that was my plan.

Correct. Anyone can take the phone and erase it, but when they try to set it up that’s when it says “Hold up. This belongs to someone.” And makes you prove you’re that person. So she would have been fine should a restore have been necessary

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Does anyone know if Apple in iOS 11 disabled the music controls for 3rd party apps like amazon music and google music? It sucks having to open the app to change songs and such when I could just use my headphones or lockscreen controls.

Does anyone know if Apple in iOS 11 disabled the music controls for 3rd party apps like amazon music and google music? It sucks having to open the app to change songs and such when I could just use my headphones or lockscreen controls.

Nah, that widget is just glitchy af

Top Bottom