• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 17.4 Introduces Alternative App Marketplaces With No Commission in EU

Bernoulli

M2 slut

Apple faces 'strong action' if App Store changes fall short, EU's Breton says​

In the EU, when an app developer submits an app to Apple for distribution, they can choose the ‌App Store‌ or any alternative app marketplaces. This includes distribution through multiple alternative app marketplaces or through both the ‌App Store‌ and an app marketplace.

Apps installed through alternative app stores will need to go through a notarization process that includes safety and security checks, which is how Mac apps work.

Apple will not charge a commission on apps installed through alternative marketplaces, nor will it charge commission for alternative payment systems, which are also allowed under the ‌App Store‌ updates in the European Union. Developers can integrate an alternative payment processor into their app that allows a user to make a purchase and check out entirely in an app, or developers can link out to their websites where users can make a purchase.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I hope it allows apps that wouldn't normally be on there like emulators and non-safari based web browsers but I'm not holding my breath.

Hudo

It would be hilarious if Timmy Tencent now tries to have the Epic Store as an Appstore on iPhone.

It would be hilarious if Timmy Tencent now tries to have the Epic Store as an Appstore on iPhone.
Would I then be able to play the new Avatar Pandora game on my Iphone? Open Iphone, Launch Epic Game Store launch Avatar, launch Ubisoft launcher, finally launch game. Iphone out of memory error.

Bernoulli

M2 slut

rob305

Won't people be able to install the ios equivalent of pkg files downloaded directly from websites?
It hopefully means that its similar like on mac. When you try to open an app that wasnt approved it will tell you its not safe and give you the option to delete the app or close the dialog. On mac you have to hold the option key and then right click open and then it will ask you the same question but with the option to open it this time.
Maybe on ios you will have to hold the app icon the first time and then select open from there instead of just opening and click past the warning

Bernoulli

M2 slut
It hopefully means that its similar like on mac. When you try to open an app that wasnt approved it will tell you its not safe and give you the option to delete the app or close the dialog. On mac you have to hold the option key and then right click open and then it will ask you the same question but with the option to open it this time.
Maybe on ios you will have to hold the app icon the first time and then select open from there instead of just opening and click past the warning
as long as i can install anything
is this on mac too?
Apps installed through alternative app stores will need to go through a notarization process that includes safety and security checks, which is how Mac apps work.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
nice! you still have to pass the criteria model.. its not a "wild west". I am happy with that.

rob305

as long as i can install anything
is this on mac too?
Im not 100% sure but I believe so. Some apps you can just download and install from a website without issues, sometimes if you download a mac app from github or something it will say its not safe because its not certified. I suppose its a similar process. If its not certified its an extra step

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Im not 100% sure but I believe so. Some apps you can just download and install from a website without issues, sometimes if you download a mac app from github or something it will say its not safe because its not certified. I suppose its a similar process. If its not certified its an extra step
as long as there is no review like on the app store i'm fine
or things like emulators and youtube vanced won't be allowed

The conditions can change if the EU doesn't accept them

Last edited:

ScHlAuChi

"App developers who choose to continue to distribute under the ‌App Store‌ will pay Apple reduced commission with the new terms. Apple is dropping the 30 percent commission to 17 percent, and the 15 percent commission paid for subscriptions over a year old or by small businesses will drop to 10 percent."

Huh....
Who would have guessed that more competition forces Apple to lower its prices!

StereoVsn

It will be interesting to see if emulators show up available for download to EU customers.

Of course I doubt we would see it here in NA. It will also be interesting to see if this will lead to more security vulnerabilities.

theHFIC

The devil works hard, but Apple's lawyers work harder. Get that .50 cent per download Apple. Get all those other fees. Make the 3rd party app stores as unpleasant an experience as possible. Screw the EU and their parenting :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Synless

The devil works hard, but Apple's lawyers work harder. Get that .50 cent per download Apple. Get all those other fees. Make the 3rd party app stores as unpleasant an experience as possible. Screw the EU and their parenting :messenger_tears_of_joy:.
Honestly, I agree. The reason most of people support this shit is because they don’t own businesses and it’s easy to just root a side. End of day, if I am the supplier of a good (store) and you want to use it to get market from customers I built on my platform, it’s absurd I would be told to offer other solutions that impact my bottom line.

epic is a piece of shit for this and so are the courts that sided with them.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

If this truly opens the floodgates for Android-like software, there will be little point for me to get an Android phone again. This is the big barrier Apple phones need to overcome for them to become free.

kikkis

How is company that doesnt even sell os licenses supposed to fund os development under these new regulations? Why doesnt this apply to xbox and Playstation as well?

yurinka

If this truly opens the floodgates for Android-like software, there will be little point for me to get an Android phone again. This is the big barrier Apple phones need to overcome for them to become free.
I'd say that what keeps Android being more popular is having a better pricing for when buying the phones.

Mahavastu

if these informations are correct, Apple collects 50 cent PER DOWNLOAD with the new rules or even with alternative app stores?

This is even worse then the ideas by the Unity management a few months ago :pie_eyeroll:

Erebus

From my understanding, you still can't download a "rogue" app by downloading an .apk from browser for example?

n111ck

From my understanding, you still can't download a "rogue" app by downloading an .apk from browser for example?

No you can't install whatever you like - so no piracy apps, sorry emulators lol - but what you can install could be loaded with malware etc if it gets passed a cursory review from Apple - but that's the risk you are signing up to by doing this. The fees system seems very risky for small developers so free apps will be limited.

It's good this is restricted to the EU and doesn't affect the RoW...

RoboFu

One of the green rats
From what I read you can't side load whatever you like and you can't sell whatever you like which is a good thing.

You can have your own store the sells its own apps but they still have to pass certification from apple.

Buttt that does mean games don't have to be on apple arcade. MS will have an Xbox app out in a year I am willing to bet.

Last edited:

kikkis

Yeah, it's amazing what can happen when governments actually utilize the anti-trust, pro-consumer powers in their possession.

Fuck you, Congress.
This just reduces incentives to create new operating systems and ecosystems. Some people can't look at history and think of opportunities ahead of them. They think apple and google are eternal. With these regulations, message is clear: if you are successful, you are applied special regulations and taxes. That is disastrous for companies looking for funding to build new things.

Bojji

This just reduces incentives to create new operating systems and ecosystems. Some people can't look at history and think of opportunities ahead of them. They think apple and google are eternal. With these regulations, message is clear: if you are successful, you are applied special regulations and taxes. That is disastrous for companies looking for funding to build new things.

Both google an apple (and Ms) want to be eternal and are doing everything to kill or buy any competition, with power they have any new business is in danger. You can argue that governments aren't doing enough to stop their predator behavior...

Consumers are the ultimate suckers in this game so EU is AT LEAST doing something good for them and forcing those giants to some changes, but looks like apple is showing them middle finger.

kikkis

Both google an apple (and Ms) want to be eternal and are doing everything to kill or buy any competition, with power they have any new business is in danger. You can argue that governments aren't doing enough to stop their predator behavior...

Consumers are the ultimate suckers in this game so EU is AT LEAST doing something good for them and forcing those giants to some changes, but looks like apple is showing them middle finger.
How is this regulation helping incentive new OS makers? If anything it kills their far best way to recoup hundreds of millions of initial risk investment: app store monopoly. If I made OS that people loved to use droves, why would i sell it MS or Apple etc. when I could get their monopoly position in no time. And no I don't think they could just kill it by quickly by copying my os features, due decades of inertia in their os.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Apple being Apple, hope EU is forcing a true open store on them. I want to freely choose between Apple's walled of garden, or the alibaba wastlands of cheap goods and services.

Developers can integrate an alternative payment processor into their app that allows a user to make a purchase and check out entirely in an app, or developers can link out to their websites where users can make a purchase.
Here we go. There are about to be a flood of scam apps designed to rip off people with no recourse for a refund.

Bojji

How is this regulation helping incentive new OS makers? If anything it kills their far best way to recoup hundreds of millions of initial risk investment: app store monopoly. If I made OS that people loved to use droves, why would i sell it MS or Apple etc. when I could get their monopoly position in no time. And no I don't think they could just kill it by quickly by copying my os features, due decades of inertia in their os.

Both most popular OSs have open policy to apps and stores (Android and Windows), Apple is the exception here with their walled ecosystem.

In ideal world anyone could make another Apple or Micorsoft but in reality those companies were first to the top and they will fight hard to keep that spot, with amount of money they have they are nearly untouchable.

You are saying that we should be bowing to them and not let governments do any (pro consumer) regulations on them because some average Joe could start company to compete with them any day now and those regulations would hurt him XX years into the future when his company is big enough?

When you get into a position in the market where you're so big, you practically control the market and can limit consumer choice, then I have no problem with this type of regulation, because corporations, as profit seeking entities, will always look for a way to squeeze more money out of consumers by offering lower quality products, muscling out competitors, and increasing prices.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Spoken like a true apple consumer.

I think you mean spoken like someone who knows about security in the telecom space. :messenger_dizzy:

and again if you don't like it don't buy an iPhone. If you don't buy iPhones then why are you even complaining?

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I think you mean spoken like someone who knows about security in the telecom space. :messenger_dizzy:

and again if you don't like it don't buy an iPhone. If you don't buy iPhones then why are you even complaining?

If you're so afraid, then don't sideload? But saying it's a good thing when others want it is just...

I own and have owned multiple iOS units, thank you, and I find them severly hampered in comparison to my Androids because of this.

Top Bottom