• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2017 | Better Layton Never

PittaGAF

Of course I'm at work for at least one more hour.

Probably a launch sale price, and hats off to them.
Premium price and intro sale is my favorite business model, and I hope it will do very well for them (plus tons fo expansions sold later this year).

SteveWD40

Descriptions says 80 hours of gameplay, which is odd since it's a Roguelike IIRC and therefore can be played over and over...

PittaGAF

Bought from MacBook at work.
Stupidity excited to go home and play till early morning tomorrow.

Anywone already downloaded it want to make me die in hype with some impressions?

:D

PittaGAF

Touch left/right to move, everything else is taps and drags. Pretty intuitive

Have you played the game before?

Yes a bit, but I refrained almost immediately (like 2-3 hours in) because I sensed it would have been GLORIOUS on iPad, where I game since years anyway.

Is it graphically as it is on PC (DOF and all?)

This is me btw stuck at work while everyone in the world is downloading Darkest Dungeon on their iPads.

tumblr_n6k9ckC2yy1t1vk6eo1_250.gif

awp69

How are the touch controls? The controls were so bad on Vita

Did the Vita version use touch? Or just the buttons/sticks?

Wasn’t going to double dip because I rarely play my iPad Mini 2 but for that price, I cannot resist. (And will hope that maybe they’ll add iPhone support later ;) )

PittaGAF

Did the Vita version use touch? Or just the buttons/sticks?

Wasn’t going to double dip because I rarely play my iPad Mini 2 but for that price, I cannot resist. (And will hope that maybe they’ll add iPhone support later ;) )

Price is a real steal.
I think they priced it so to lure people into double and triple dipping.
Clever.

I have an iPad Air but I do hope they will sell so many copies they will be tempted to do a UI overhaul and port the game to iPhone as well.

awp69

OMG. This is soooooo much better IMO than using a controller on PS4. Quite happy with this!

Oh, and there’s quite a bit of unused space on my iPad Mini 2 at least on the bottom of the screen. Think this could easily be tweaked a bit to work on iPhones.

killercow

OMG. This is soooooo much better IMO than using a controller on PS4. Quite happy with this!

Oh, and there’s quite a bit of unused space on my iPad Mini 2 at least on the bottom of the screen. Think this could easily be tweaked a bit to work on iPhones.

There's a lot more on my 10.5

baconcow

Had to look over my shoulder for the App Store police when I bought it. $6.99 CAD is a crazy good launch price for a game with this much depth and replayability! Even the OST cost more than that! Had to use AppShopper to get the link, since it still isn't showing up on the iOS 11 App Store or iTunes.

schnarf

Only did the tutorial part so far, using a new iPad Pro 10.5.
The touch controls work great.
I already have the game on PS4, Vita and PC. PC was my preferred platform for it, desperately wanted the Vita to be my go-to, but the controls were to large a hurdle for me personally. I suspect that my iPad will be my go to device for Darkest Dungeon play now though.

Also, did some quick tests with an Apple Pencil in the town area, works great (as one would expect).

If they could fit Baldurs Gate on a phone then I'm sure DD could as well. Granted, Baldurs Gate is difficult to play on a phone but it's not unplayable.

I'm sure it will make its way to phones or get a "pocket edition" update down the road.

baconcow

Is this possibly the best day for iOS gaming (at least on iPads)?

Darkest Dungeon release ( and at $4.99!)
Death Road to Canada gets DUODENUM update
Ridiculous Fishing - A Tale of Redemption updated to 64-bit

Jarsonot

I'm a big lurker in this thread, looking for new games to try.

Y'alll threw me off with "puzzle bobble journey", it's "bust-a-move journey", if anyone else is searching for it. =)

Never played a bust-a-move game before, but the good impressions here always get me to try new stuff! I love this thread!

Will be looking into this and Kalimba, thanks!

SteveWD40

I wasn't expecting the MASSIVE borders in Darkest Dungeon, along with some of the UI being small (pro 10.5) it feels like a port that could have used more time.

awp69

I wasn't expecting the MASSIVE borders in Darkest Dungeon, along with some of the UI being small (pro 10.5) it feels like a port that could have used more time.

It is kind of odd. Apparently they ported the UI pretty much as is from the PC / console versions which are widescreen and not 4:3.

That’s one reason why it probably wouldn’t be that much different on an iPhone that IS widescreen.

PittaGAF

Darkest Dungeon plays WONDERFULLY on iPad, it feels like it's its natural platform.
Alone with headphones it's really quite an experience.
Controls are super natural with long presses activating tool tips (side of your finger, not under), drag and drops.
The game immediately sucks you in its weird world, with an outstanding visual presentation and a GLORIOUS aural compartment.
Game support iCloud saves AND Dropbox saves (for cross compatibility).

I wouldn't mind a slightly bigger fonts in the tutorial/help screen and tbh I think it could work on iPhone, everything else is just perfect and the game is awesome, but you already knew that.
Ah, of course I wouldn't mind either they got rid of the original aspect ratio...which causes big black borders on top and bottom of the screen...but I guess I expected that.
I don't mind that much because being the game so dark they somewhat integrate in the overall presentation...but there would be room to improve, especially ui wise (bigger everything).
According to the dev it's a perfect port from the pc version, everything is in and intact.
The name 'tablet edition' was required by Apple for some reason because they already have Darkest Dungeon on the Mac Store (weird, but I saw they told so via twitter).

No mention of the price being a intro sale or anything....but if you like the genre it's a no brainer and will stay on my iPad for a long time: it is an absolute steal.
Actually if you like the genre you are probably already playing.

Happy dying.

baconcow

Wasn't darkest dungeon supposed to cost $10??

Originally, their website post said TBD. They may have answered $9.99 to some people. If this were a last minute change, it seems it may have something to do with their launch blog post statement:

redhookjohn said:
We know that many of you may already own Darkest Dungeon on other platforms and are interested in picking it up on iPad, too. For this reason and others, we’ve priced it at $4.99 to make it fairly painless–unlike the rest of the game.

PittaGAF

Just completed a third (longer) dungeon in DD, after having spent half an hour on the village.

I'm genuinely sweating.
Last room was a real gamble, but I was lucky...all crits were absorbed by my tank.

Monsters design is outstanding.

Contrary to what I said before, sometimes tooltips appear under my finger, and it's a bit unnerving.
But it really plays fantastically and the game is really stellar (but if it was developed first on tablets, it would have been even better full screen at 4:3 with bigger fonts).

Can someone sell me on Darkest Dungeon? I don't know anything about the game and can't tell much from screenshots. :p
It's a turn based dungeon crawler where the focus is on the sanity-straining psychological effects of dungeon crawling. You are not guiding great heroes bravely roaming the corridors to save the day. You're leading lost warriors and mercenaries and outcasts slowly going insane in the dank dark shadows, struggling to deal with the sights of eldritch horrors and dwindling supplies. Your fighters will die; the ones that don't will be broken and have to deal with the lasting effects on their personalities and minds. It's a bleak, grim, and unique take on the genre

Combat is strategic and challenging, with a heavy focus on positioning, managing buffs and debuffs, managing your party's issues and their supplies. Longer crawls will have you camping out in the tunnels, where you can use different classes' skills to raise spirits, buff companions, and heal

Its artful aesthetic and fantastic narration by frequent Lovecraft voice actor Wayne June imbues the game with a stylish gothic atmosphere

baconcow

Can someone sell me on Darkest Dungeon? I don't know anything about the game and can't tell much from screenshots. :p

Do you enjoy a tough, stressful game, coupled with one of the best narrators and great music? It is a turn-based side-scrolling RPG with a taste of Dark Souls' difficulty. It is likely a more difficult game than Dark Souls.

Edit: The previous description is far more badass than mine.

heringer

It's a turn based dungeon crawler where the focus is on the sanity-straining psychological effects of dungeon crawling. You are not guiding great heroes bravely roaming the corridors to save the day. You're leading broken lost warriors and mercenaries and outlaws slowly going insane in the dank dark shadows, struggling to deal with the sights of eldritch horrors and dwindling supplies. Your fighters will die; the ones that don't will be broken and have to deal with the lasting effects on their personalities and minds. It's a bleak, grim, and unique take on the genre

Combat is strategic and challenging, with a heavy focus on positioning, managing buffs and debuffs, managing your party's issues and their supplies. Longer crawls will have you camping out in the tunnels, where you can use different classes' skills to raise spirits, buff companions, and heal

Its artful aesthetic and fantastic narration by frequent Lovecraft voice actor Wayne June imbues the game with a stylish gothic atmosphere

Do you enjoy a tough, stressful game, coupled with one of the best narrators and great music? It is a turn-based side-scrolling RPG with a taste of Dark Souls' difficulty. It is likely a more difficult game than Dark Souls.

Edit: The previous description is far more badass than mine.

Hmm, sounds intriguing! Thanks.

Are there objectives and an end game or is it only random dungeoning to see how long you can last?

PittaGAF

Oh my, oh my, oh my.

Just pushed my luck a bit too much....'just one more room'......
Result: 2 dead, had to flee a suffer massive 'defeat stress'.

Now my 'heroes' are taking turns in the bordel, the tavern and the church to relieve stress.

I want to do another run....but I already know I'll regret this.

Awesome game.
It's SUPER strategic, even getting rid of corpses is a task on its own (to better position attackers).
It also drips with style....every char talks and banter.
My female cleric just broke a leg in the bordel, lol.

It was probably since Warhammer Quest hardcore I wasn't this thrilled and anxious (in a good way) playing a game. (XCOM never did it really for me).

awp69

Now that I’ve dug out my iPad Mini 2 from collecting dust for Darkest Dungeon, I need to download stuff that’s 32-bit that I can no longer play on my phone.

Have to start thinking of the classics. Already am downloading all my Cave games since they haven’t been updated.

Matt Frost

I'm a big lurker in this thread, looking for new games to try.

Y'alll threw me off with "puzzle bobble journey", it's "bust-a-move journey", if anyone else is searching for it. =)

Never played a bust-a-move game before, but the good impressions here always get me to try new stuff! I love this thread!

Will be looking into this and Kalimba, thanks!

I thought Bust-a-Move was the official name in Japan and Puzzle Bobble in the rest of the world... i love this game so much cant stop playing it

Kalimba... if you like what you see dont hesitate at all

awp69

I thought Bust-a-Move was the official name in Japan and Puzzle Bobble in the rest of the world... i love this game so much cant stop playing it

Yeah, I was wondering why you were calling it Puzzle Bobble. Always heard it called Bust-A-Move in the US.

Matt Frost

Yeah, I was wondering why you were calling it Puzzle Bobble. Always heard it called Bust-A-Move in the US.

It says Puzzle Bobble under the app icon and in the game itself. I was confused there. Thought is was like that everywhere except Japan lol. Dont know why a game has two names one for US and another for the rest of the world... seems confusing. Anyways, amazing game, hooked... and hooked to AvSI thanks for pushing me over the fence is great as well :)

Jarsonot

Downloading Kalimba now, will probably try bust-a-puzzle-move-bobble and avsi in near future.

Nice to hear that some people think Darkest Dungeon could work on iPhone as well. No iPad, and don't think I can justify one to the wifey. ;)

Matt Frost

Downloading Kalimba now, will probably try bust-a-puzzle-move-bobble and avsi in near future.

Nice to hear that some people think Darkest Dungeon could work on iPhone as well. No iPad, and don't think I can justify one to the wifey. ;)

Yeah no iPad here as well, hope they fit it somehow.

Enjoy Kalimba!

okno

I've always known it as Bust A Move in the US and Puzzle Bobble everywhere else! That's why I was surprised to see them call it Puzzle Bubble Journey here in the US! What in the world...

Top Bottom