• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming January 2016 | Should old applications be forgot?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
there is nothing between Crashlands and The Witness as far as i'm concerned

unless FFIX iOS drops, of course

there is nothing between Crashlands and The Witness as far as i'm concerned

unless FFIX iOS drops, of course
Been playing The Witness on PC/PS4? If there was one game I wish was on mobile already, it's that one. It's going to be the perfect "play-on-the-go" game due to the sheer amount of puzzles and the line mechanic is going to work so well with touch

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Been playing The Witness on PC/PS4? If there was one game I wish on mobile already, it's that one. It's going to be the perfect "play-on-the-go" game due to the sheer amount of puzzles and the line mechanic is going to work so well with touch

yeah i'm playing on PS4.

it'll play great on an iPad, for sure

killercow

Been playing The Witness on PC/PS4? If there was one game I wish was on mobile already, it's that one. It's going to be the perfect "play-on-the-go" game due to the sheer amount of puzzles and the line mechanic is going to work so well with touch

Yeah, the first time you do one line puzzle it's got you thinking "this is absolutely made for mobile". It's such a great game on top of that :)

Otherwise, NeoArcade looks interesting:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/neoarcade/id1056684032?ls=1&mt=8

And Twofold will be mine :D

Yeah, the first time you do one line puzzle it's got you thinking "this is absolutely made for mobile". It's such a great game on top of that :)
Yup. This is from 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXuPKOy_PXU
gI6RqLo.gif

PittaGAF

I tried The Witness too but damn....I want it on iPad.
NOW.

Unfortunately the dev is lip sealed about the iPad version, I tried to ask several times already.
I bet he is too busy with PS4 and PC releases and, I really hope, sorting money on big boxes.

Not sure if it would make sense to release on iPad now even if ready....the difference in price points would be too big to understand in the (sad) nowadays market I guess.

NOW.

Unfortunately the dev is lip sealed about the iPad version, I tried to ask several times already.
I bet he is too busy with PS4 and PC releases and, I really hope, sorting money on big boxes.

Not sure if it would make sense to release on iPad now even if ready....the difference in price points would be too big to understand in the (sad) nowadays market I guess.
It's coming later this year. I had emailed them last year for more info. iPad version is in development but won't release till months after the initial PC/PS4 launch

killercow

NOW.

A part of me kind of hopes that it will be released with the original price point. Well if it releases soon at least.

A part of me kind of hopes that it will be released with the original price point. Well if it releases soon at least.
I'm expecting between $10 and $15, which seems to be the price point for the big PC ports like XCOM, This War of Mine, Bioshock, Transistor, and GTA

PittaGAF

LOL.
I hope someday this won't even be an issue...but I think the world is not yet ready for reasonable price points on iOS.
Imagine the flame wars!!!

I've read the dev put all the money earned from Braid into this, and then some so I truly hope he is making a ton of money to recover expenses from last 8 years and enough to let him make games forever.

I'm expecting between $10 and $15, which seems to be the price point for the big PC ports like XCOM, This War of Mine, Bioshock, Transistor, and GTA

I'm expecting 10 dollars as well.
And that's why imho (sadly) makes sense from a dev point of view not releasing the game now.
Assuming the port is fine and not a heavily downgraded version, people with multiple platforms would buy on iPad I guess (I would, but because I prefer playing on iPad rather then on PC or console).
So waiting a bit after some time and sales on the other platforms makes sense.

And no, I'm not happy about this too....I wish I could play the game tonight tucked in bed and get lost in its colorful and brainteasing world....

LOL.
I hope someday this won't even be an issue...but I think the world is not yet ready for reasonable price points on iOS.
Imagine the flame wars!!!

I've read the dev put all the money earned from Braid into this, and then some so I truly hope he is making a ton of money to recover expenses from last 8 years and enough to let him make games forever.
The Witness was the #1 Top Seller game on Steam for almost all of Monday and a lot of Tuesday, and is currently the #2. Higher than The Division and XCOM 2. So yeah, it's selling well

Okay, yeah, Twofold is fantastic. You guys are going to love it. It has that one-more-go appeal that the best arcade-y mobile games have - simple controls, simple gameplay, colorful vibrant aesthetic - with surprising depth. You have a limited number of moves and lives, so there's always that pressure of making the most efficient and highest-scoring chains you can

awp69

Okay, yeah, Twofold is fantastic. You guys are going to love it. It has that one-more-go appeal that the best arcade-y mobile games have - simple controls, simple gameplay, colorful vibrant aesthetic - with surprising depth. You have a limited number of moves and lives, so there's always that pressure of making the most efficient and highest-scoring chains you can

When does it come out?

BTW, Sky Chasers is pretty fun. Kind of like a flying Metroidvania game that gets pretty challenging. F2P but it's not too bad. Either use coins you earn to pay for checkpoints or you can pay $2.99 to unlock unlimited checkpoints.

Just going to leave this here

CZxAsgKWkAAxuCH.jpg
I'm getting excited just thinking about it, but then I have doubts that this could fully work given the control scheme needed. Hopefully it's built from the ground up for mobile.

Speaking of which, what the hell happened to super meat boy forever?

pdk27

Cool. I just bought it too. Downloading as we speak.

Edit: Hoiy crap is this good! Love the story and mix of gameplay. Music is phenomenal. Buy this!!!

And we need like 11,000 buyers to unlock another story mode...sadly only at like 385 so some self interest there ;).

Crashlands and this are likely to be on my end of year Top 10. It's that good!

Looks like sales are slow on Lost in Harmony. I just bought it and the buyer count is only 398 :( Giving it a go now.

awp69

I guess the Binding of Issac dev said on Twitter that it "was" being made but was cancelled? I don't know. Hopefully, it comes. Great game and devs like Radiangames have made some DSS games with fairly complex control schemes. So definitely think it could work on mobile.

Rust Bucket got a content update that added new levels and enemies

---

And besides Twofold, the other gem that released last night is Circa Infinity. It's a PC port; I had seen it before and thought it was just an auto-runner/endless runner, but it's not
https://appsto.re/us/YPx58.i
It's a slick arcadey-puzzle platformer where you jump through circular levels, deftly evading enemies. The aesthetic is so stylish and the level design is really clever. An easy recommendation

am_dragon

I dont get the hype about Crashlands. How is it different to an isometric Terraria/Junk Jack X? Just the preset missions?

Crashlands has a story, those games do not. Crashlands also has a super easy crafting system, your inventory is unlimited, and once you discover the recipe you don't have to look anything up, it's just available for you to craft. When you craft weapons and armor there is a chance for the item to have better properties, essentially rare loot drops in the crafting system.

I also think the combat has something on those other games. When you fight a monster you have to also dodge the monsters hit reticle, making for a more skill based combat system.

I'm several hours into Crashlands. I bought both Terraria and Junk Jack X when they came out and I have more time in Crashlands right now than I put into those two games together. I will definitely be picking up the PC version once I get back from PAX South this weekend.

Would like impressions of Twofold Inc. and Circa Infinity. Is Circa Infinity like Super Hexagon?
Circa Infinity is a full-fledged platformer, not endless and not an auto-runner. Each level is a collection of circles that you jump deeper and deeper into toward the exit at the center.

Enemies start out simple, just obstacles to jump over or avoid as they move around a stage's cirumference. But the levels become increasingly complex: enemies that alternate between the insides and outsides of circles, enemies that only move when you move, shifting levels that move when you move, controlling two characters at once, and so on

So reaching the center isn't just arcade-y platforming; you need to assess the hazards and elements at play and figure out the correct route. It has an almost puzzle-platformer feel

There are 50 levels, and bosses to defeat. Tight controls and a stylish art style. The menus are really slick

awp69

Both Twofold and Circa Infinity sound great. Seriously need to try to cut back on app spending though after spending a little too freely lately with a few regrets.

MB, if you had to choose one, which would it be?

On the regret side, while only $.99, do not get Orsis: Battlefield. It was an impulse buy liking the looks of it and seeing it was by the same dev as Roboto. But it is horrible. The controls are bad and gameplay just an unstructured mess.

I do recommend Super Phantom Cat. Really polished old school platformer with some pretty tricky puzzle-like elements to reach places that appear in reachable to earn the three stars on each level.

Both Twofold and Circa Infinity sound great. Seriously need to try to cut back on app spending though after spending a little too freely lately with a few regrets.

MB, if you had to choose one, which would it be?

On the regret side, while only $.99, do not get Orsis: Battlefield. It was an impulse buy liking the looks of it and seeing it was by the same dev as Roboto. But it is horrible. The controls are bad and gameplay just an unstructured mess.

I do recommend Super Phantom Cat. Really polished old school platformer with some pretty tricky puzzle-like elements to reach places that appear in reachable to earn the three stars on each level.
Hard to decide, really depends on what kind of game you want. Quick, one-more-go, play-while-waiting puzzler ? Go with Twofold. It has the same kind of appeal that Threes had. A more structured experience, stylish platformer? Go with Circa

Personally, I'm enjoying Circa more, but they're both great

I guess the Binding of Issac dev said on Twitter that it "was" being made but was cancelled? I don't know. Hopefully, it comes. Great game and devs like Radiangames have made some DSS games with fairly complex control schemes. So definitely think it could work on mobile.
I'm pretty sure he was joking, NorthernlionLP, which he said was the person who canceled it, is a twitch streamer who plays a lot of BoI. Don't think he has any say on what they develop.

Can you make the virtual buttons in the Final Fantasy games completely transparent / invisible if you have a controller (or at least FFVII)? Feeling the FFIX nostalgia pretty hard right now and I'm looking forward to running through it again whenever it releases.

okno

Twofold, Inc. is legit. Nearly missed my stop just now. It's so, so good.

Just don't be stupid like me and think you need to clear every time in a line despite the numerous warnings that you don't need to do that :p

PittaGAF

Hmmmm.
Just read that Darkest Dungeon iOS port is 'Not in our current plans but we do like the idea of DD on touch devices' state.
I hoped/was under the impression the effort was a bit higher on their todo list.
PS4/Vita port is scheduled for Spring.

:(

Hmmmm.
Just read that Darkest Dungeon iOS port is 'Not in our current plans but we do like the idea of DD on touch devices' state.
I hoped/was under the impression the effort was a bit higher on their todo list.
PS4/Vita port is scheduled for Spring.

:(
Damn, that sucks. Would work so well on touch. Hell, one of the control methods is holding on the screen with mouse to walk left or right

nampad

Finally jumped and bought Horizon Chase. The new free to try model gave me a taste but I have to say they should have doubled the free tries. I wasn't sure about it but after driving more rounds, I have to say I love it.

The sense of speed is great and the gameplay just hits the right arcade spot. The ui needs a lot of work though. It is quite annoying that you have to chose the tuning parts at the start of every race and overall, the menu isn't made for controllers :/

The graphics looks great but the night time tracks lower the visibility too much.

PittaGAF

Damn, that sucks. Would work so well on touch. Hell, one of the control methods is holding on the screen with mouse to walk left or right

No mention whatsoever in their just released blog/plan for the upcoming months (fixes, classes, Sony ports, mods, etc...) either.

Sadness.

Top Bottom