• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming January 2017 | Swipe Right Into The New Year

PittaGAF

Invisible Inc. is really pretty tense despite the 'cute' look.
XCOM ironmode or Warhammer Quest hard mode tense.

I urge everyone who wants to play it to disregard the game suggestion and start playing at expert (the middle setting).
It makes a huge difference, with guards using all sorts of gears (which is super cool...seeing a guard chasing me throwing some sort of scout drones into the rooms to better locate me gave me shivers).

I hope it will get universal soon, but it plays great on a iPad Air.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
was looking at that - interested in a casual rpg, let me know how it is

It's actually a pretty fun game.. not too long.. some of the special quest fishs are RNG pains but it's good game. Quirky sense of humor too.

Invisible Inc. is really pretty tense despite the 'cute' look.
XCOM ironmode or Warhammer Quest hard mode tense.

I urge everyone who wants to play it to disregard the game suggestion and start playing at expert (the middle setting).
It makes a huge difference, with guards using all sorts of gears (which is super cool...seeing a guard chasing me throwing some sort of scout drones into the rooms to better locate me gave me shivers)
It's from the same devs as Mark of the Ninja. And it's one of the best stealth games of the last few years

The most important thing: every move/turn counts. Given the alarm, you have to make every turn as efficient as possible

SummitAve

Banned
I bought Rule With an Iron Fish while I was half-asleep last night I see hmm. I hope this one's a good one.

I didn't enjoy the fishing mechanic at all :/

Invisible Inc never clicked with me. I enjoy it up until I have to backtrack and escape. It's just a bit too tedious for me.

PittaGAF

It's from the same devs as Mark of the Ninja. And it's one of the best stealth games of the last few years

The most important thing: every move/turn counts. Given the alarm, you have to make every turn as efficient as possible

Yeah it's pretty tense, especially at level 5-6 alarm and the fact that KOing enemies requires a 3 turns cooldown.
Finding your way out is pretty tense.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Are there any games which spoof phone calls etc as part of the game? I remember back in the day there was some sort of safecracking game or something similar where you got a phonecall from one of the characters at the end. Not sure if this is against Apple's terms or something though because I haven't seen it since. Would be a pretty neat idea though.

Are there any games which spoof phone calls etc as part of the game? I remember back in the day there was some sort of safecracking game or something similar where you got a phonecall from one of the characters at the end. Not sure if this is against Apple's terms or something though because I haven't seen it since. Would be a pretty neat idea though.

It isn't quite what you are looking for, but that Mr. Robot game that came out this year basically spoofs a messenger service and lets you chat with ingame people. I remember it doing a fairly good job at simulating those kinds of interactions, although the fact you can only reply with basically A,B or C options does break the illusion a bit.

bjork

Thread friends, it might be a niche interest around here, but the Vectrex Regeneration is currently free. I want to say it's normally like $4, so that's nice.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It isn't quite what you are looking for, but that Mr. Robot game that came out this year basically spoofs a messenger service and lets you chat with ingame people. I remember it doing a fairly good job at simulating those kinds of interactions, although the fact you can only reply with basically A,B or C options does break the illusion a bit.

Yeah, I played that. It wasn't bad, although felt very short. Definitely in the right ballpark though. I'm not really even sure to what end something like that could be used for, but I always like a little real-world spoofing immersion in my games.

Pachimari

Yeah it's pretty tense, especially at level 5-6 alarm and the fact that KOing enemies requires a 3 turns cooldown.
Finding your way out is pretty tense.
I have to be honest, I was pretty excited to really get into Invisible Inc, but your posts has scared me away a bit lol. I hate when I get challenged too much, and when I have to make the absolute most of each turn, and when it just becomes too hard. But setting the difficulty to Normal would probably also be a way to miss out on some great tactical play against the AI.

PittaGAF

I have to be honest, I was pretty excited to really get into Invisible Inc, but your posts has scared me away a bit lol. I hate when I get challenged too much, and when I have to make the absolute most of each turn, and when it just becomes too hard. But setting the difficulty to Normal would probably also be a way to miss out on some great tactical play against the AI.

Well so far (4 missions) it was tense but not extremely difficult (I'm playing on expert, there is an easy setting that as far as I know let you rewind turns if something goes wrong).
From what I played and from what More_Badass suggested, I get you have to do the most during your turns because the threat level always increases.
The higher the level, the more difficult the hacking gets and more guards are on patrol...so explore and hack the most at first.
Usually getting the main objective of the game was relatively easy...it's getting out from the level that it's hard (but that's the main fun of the game so far....you frantically look for the exit).
I understand you can tweak the main campaign with infinite rewinds too...so don't be too much worried....they set up things anyone can enjoy the game imho.
Only thing you have to keep in mind is that you can't change difficulty once started (if you want, you have to use another save slot).
So far I'm really enjoying it and it was never frustrating.
Go for it.

Pachimari

Yeah I played the first two levels a while ago and I liked it. I should see if I can find time for it this year.

Heck yeah:
Reigns is getting a free expansion (more cards) in January (More likely February) plus a sequel where you play a Queen in a more modern era, scheduled for release in Q1/Q2 2017:
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/590070/reigns-2-annonce.htm
This is good news! Although I haven't played much of Reigns, I can appreciate it.

Megasoum

Banned
You can also play KOTOR with a controller on iOS and the UI adapts to it.

Absolutely adored Incoboto, can't wait for this. (Oh and great thread as akways! That list about upcoming mobile games is also quite handy)

Sigh... Between that and FF6... Maybe I should just buy a controller for my iPad..

What's the best cheap controller available?

killercow

Sigh... Between that and FF6... Maybe I should just buy a controller for my iPad..

What's the best cheap controller available?

I'd recommend either a Steelseries Nimbus or a Gamevice. An MFi controller isn't exactly cheap though because of Apple's certification program.

Oynox

Sigh... yeah you weren't kidding... Fuck that, I'm not paying 60$CDN for an ipad controller.

I'd recommend the Steelseries Stratus. It is a very small controller, extremely portable and of decent quality. You can fell that the sticks are cheap, but yeah, for 30 bucks it is the best you can get I think.

This looks promising, slated to release this month
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOAqT_9cPIo
To bring an epic battle to life, LOA brings stunning graphics and a detailed plot that puts you (Abhimanyu) at the center of slaughter and destruction as he seeks revenge against the warriors. Follow the journey filled with intricate traps, hurdles, powerful bosses, tons of enemies, and traverse through the challenging levels of the game. The impressive cinematic sequences and striking colors & patterns promise to deliver an altogether different experience.
gallery-11-full.jpg
gallery-15-full.jpg

awp69

Have you guys seen or tried Turbo League? Surprised at how incredibly close it is to Rocket League in gameplay and appearance. Of course, not as good as the real thing but honestly surprised Psyonix doesn't take action against it. Seems too close for comfort IMO.

NeoRaider

I finished Agent A yesterday and i liked it a lot. More than i thought i would.
I only wish that it was little longer and little harder with less hints given to the player.

But overall i think that it was great 0.99 purchase. Are there any good, similar games on App Store? (I played all 3 The Room games)

RM8

What's the best Mario-like game on iOS? I think it's Super Phantom Cat. What a great traditional platformer, I'm re-discovering and I'm loving it again. Then I remember I used to play this Pizza Boy game on my previous Android phone, but I don't think it's on iOS :(

S34UR1TQhiGAB95MAACq1Ibaj_s81.jpeg

Since I'm really in the mood for these games now, any other recommendations?

killercow

I finished Agent A yesterday and i liked it a lot. More than i thought i would.
I only wish that it was little longer and little harder with less hints given to the player.

But overall i think that it was great 0.99 purchase. Are there any good, similar games on App Store? (I played all 3 The Room games)

The Trace is a bit like that but quite short too. You could also try the Cube Escape series or _PRISM.

am_dragon

Sigh... yeah you weren't kidding... Fuck that, I'm not paying 60$CDN for an ipad controller.
I asked for one for Christmas as I couldn't bring myself to pay the money either. The Nimbus is very good, I'm really happy with the controller and it's made several games more enjoyable. Crashlands is great with the controller, it brought new life to the game for me. Honestly the only thing that's kept me from playing more is my wife also got me a 3DS and I'm playing through Pokemon Sun with my two boys.

Jarsonot

I asked for one for Christmas as I couldn't bring myself to pay the money either. The Nimbus is very good, I'm really happy with the controller and it's made several games more enjoyable. Crashlands is great with the controller, it brought new life to the game for me. Honestly the only thing that's kept me from playing more is my wife also got me a 3DS and I'm playing through Pokemon Sun with my two boys.

I'm really looking forward to playing games with my kids. They'll play smash brothers with me <angrily looks at wife>.

awp69

It looks absolutely terrible and so laggy it's nigh unplayable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjGdAMPr79g

No reason for Psyonix to be worried at all.

Yeah. Downloaded and played one of the solo events and it's pretty bad. And then they're actually trying to charge $14.99 for a three month subscription or whatever. Not going to happen.

Would be awesome to have the real thing on the go. And this game does seem questionable at best for cloning the game regardless of performance.

Pachimari

> Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location is now out on the App Store [$2.99]
> Zip-Zap by Philipp Stolenmayer has received 32 new levels and is on sale at $0.99
> Super Hyper Ball 2 is releasing next week. Here's a new trailer.

Oynox

Card Thief beta just started.

Registration just started, right?

Enlisted and now I hope I can enter.

I know I mentioned it several times before but I am completely hooked by Card Crawl. Unbelievable that I discovered it that late. It is the perfect mobile game. Rounds are short and can be played whenever you have a spare couple of minutes. On the other hand it is so addictive you want to play for hours. Marvelous.

Registration just started, right?

Enlisted and now I hope I can enter.

I know I mentioned it several times before but I am completely hooked by Card Crawl. Unbelievable that I discovered it that late. It is the perfect mobile game. Rounds are short and can be played whenever you have a spare couple of minutes. On the other hand it is so addictive you want to play for hours. Marvelous.
Yes, Card Crawl is so good. You can craft so many strategies with the special cards, it's fast while still requiring some thought, and there's a nice dripfeed of unlocks

Boney

Banned
Thread friends, it might be a niche interest around here, but the Vectrex Regeneration is currently free. I want to say it's normally like $4, so that's nice.
Oh that's awesome! Always wanted to try Vectrex stuff after CGR reviews

Pachimari

Card City Nights is on sale for 99c.

I own it already but haven't played much of it. It is supposed to be really good.

awp69

Card City Nights is on sale for 99c.

I own it already but haven't played much of it. It is supposed to be really good.

It'a a great game. Particularly for people getting started in CCGs.

Anyone here played lttle Dew? Noticed it's on sale for $1.99. Sort of a Zelda parody?

NeoRaider

I just tried The Walking Dead: A New Frontier on my iPhone 7 since first episode can be downloaded for free and i have to say that it looked really good. Very good IQ compared to the Batman game i also tried few weeks ago. TWD looked like it's running in native resolution and performance wasn't that bad.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It'a a great game. Particularly for people getting started in CCGs.

Anyone here played lttle Dew? Noticed it's on sale for $1.99. Sort of a Zelda parody?
Ittle Dew is similar to Zelda but simpler I'd say. It's a charming game with a lot of referencial humour. I really liked it, the sequel is better but I don't know if that's out on iOS yet.

Only played it on pc, so unsure if the iOS port is any good. But on pc at least it is pretty great. Kind of a Zelda homage with heavy focus on the puzzles and dungeon exploration.

Top Bottom