• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming January 2017 | Swipe Right Into The New Year

My friend uses the US account and I decided to look at the App Store on his phone. Nice to see Isaac has 110 reviews of nearly all 5 stars. I hope it sells well for Nicalis.

PittaGAF

Invisible Inc. is fantastic.
I didn't realize it was SO roguelike....the tight campaign tricked me....till I discovered when you are done....you are done...back to start, savegame gone....thanks to a mission I really fucked up.

2016 was a truly GLORIOUS year for turn based games on touch screen.
SteamWorld Heist, Banner Saga 2 and Invisible Inc. are all fantastic.

Looking forward what 2017 has in store for the genre.

My only problem now is that Card Thief is consuming all my free time, it's simply outstanding.

What the fuck iOS.

I wrote a nice long review for a game. It was the first review I ever wrote. I hit submit and it said "nickname already taken" then it closed the review box. I hit write review again and everything is gone.

Voidance

Card Thief was great for the first couple hours, but now it seems so grindy. Same thing over and over in order to unlock the next setting which just repeats what you did before. The most interesting part is equipment, but, again, it's behind the grind. I think Solitairica spoiled me on satisfying card games.

Oynox

Card Thief was great for the first couple hours, but now it seems so grindy. Same thing over and over in order to unlock the next setting which just repeats what you did before. The most interesting part is equipment, but, again, it's behind the grind. I think Solitairica spoiled me on satisfying card games.

Did you try Card Crawl as well? For me Card Crawl is the perfect mobile card game. One game only lasts about 3 minutes but you find yourself playing one game after another quite often because it is so addicting.

Voidance

Did you try Card Crawl as well? For me Card Crawl is the perfect mobile card game. One game only lasts about 3 minutes but you find yourself playing one game after another quite often because it is so addicting.
I did, and the grind got to me there, too. I liked the core game better, though, which helped a ton.

Don't get me wrong, Card Thief isn't a bad game at all. I'm just not sure the gameplay loop works for me.

TheExodu5

Banned
Not sure if anyone else out there is into idle/incremental games, but I think I've found my favorite in the genre: Idle Mage Attack. Visually, it looks absolutely awful, but it has some real depth and very enjoyable idle mechanics that take it far beyond the usual suspects in the genre.

I'd say it's the equivalent of Card Quest for the incremental genre.

Matt Frost

Thanks went with Jungle Run then.

Kingdom Rush still considered the best tower defense series?

Good choice

I finished all three and loved them all. For me, they are the best. If you are going to buy only one the third is the best one, a bit shorter than the others, but with meatier gameplay, and is a little bit better than the second and a lot better than the first. The second is the longest and the one who cemented the series into the crown. If you are going to pay them all, start from the first one and go up, see how evolved

Good choice

I finished all three and loved them all. For me, they are the best. If you are going to buy only one the third is the best one, a bit shorter than the others, but with meatier gameplay, and is a little bit better than the second and a lot better than the first. The second is the longest and the one who cemented the series into the crown. If you are going to pay them all, start from the first one and go up, see how evoluted

I played the first many many years ago on my old iPad 2. Just got an Air 2 so looking for what I've missed. :)

Playing through Frontiers now and it's scratching that itch.

Matt Frost

Matt Frost

Playing it on my iPhone SE and it's totally fine. Obviously it's not as precise as with a controller but the game runs great.

I found them weird and floaty at first, but now I find them to be absolutely perfect. Playing on a 6s+

Didn't like it at first, totally fine now. Wife was the same.

What I needed to hear. So you have to get used to them. Nice. I been looking at BoI and the iOS version seems very different from what I played a long time ago, the graphics triggered it but what sold it were the bigger rooms. Thanks a lot. Getting it now

I'm shocked that Apple didn't give BoI a banner or feature it in New Games

What I needed to hear. So you have to get used to them. Nice. I been looking at BoI and the iOS version seems very different from what I played a long time ago, the graphics triggered it but what sold it were the bigger rooms. Thanks a lot. Getting it now along with ChocoRun2
Rebirth was a from-the-ground remake of the game, with new graphics, new and bigger room layouts, tons of new enemies, items, and secrets, among other additions and improvements

Pachimari

Seems like Warbits might get an update, since the beta was just updated on TestFlight. I have no idea what was added or changed though.

And some news:
  • Rome: Total War is getting a standalone expansion in March named Barbarian Invasion.
  • Card City Nights 2 is under development and will have online multiplayer.
  • The Titanfall: Frontline CCG game has been cancelled before ever releasing.
  • The Outrun-inspired Highway Runners has been updated to Universal, and can now be played on iPad.

Just bought Rush Rally 2 an Highway Runners. Let's see what it's all about.

Seems like Warbits might get an update, since the beta was just updated on TestFlight. I have no idea what was added or changed though.

And some news:
  • Rome: Total War is getting a standalone expansion in March named Barbarian Invasion.
  • Card City Nights 2 is under development and will have online multiplayer.
  • The Titanfall: Frontline CCG game has been cancelled before ever releasing.
  • The Outrun-inspired Highway Runners has been updated to Universal, and can now be played on iPad.

Just bought Rush Rally 2 an Highway Runners. Let's see what it's all about.

I feel like there was a card insert in my Xbone copy of Titanfall 2 advertising that game. That's crazy.

Voted.
Shocked there's so few votes. :(
I haven't even posted my list yet

But I think that's the nature of the more strict restrictions. So it's ideally working as intended. There may be less votes, but those present ideally have a more knowledgable and diverse perspective on mobile games, versus people just listing that one popular mobile game

Thanks went with Jungle Run then.

Kingdom Rush still considered the best tower defense series?

In a universe where Dungeon Warfare doesn't exist they sure are!

Dungeon Warfare is very good, I'd say I still prefer the Kingdom Rush series.

As much as I enjoy upgrade mechanics like Dungeon Warfare has, it can make it hard to know how you should be upgrading to optimize your experience. Do I level up one trap a whole bunch or should I level up many traps a smaller amount.

Plants vs. Zombies 2 is definitely a favorite of mine now too. It started out kinda bad, but they've added a crazy amount of content to the game. It can get pretty hard, but they've added the ability to upgrade your plants (by doing quests that change every few hours) which could make it more manageable for people picking it up for the first time.

bjork

Tap Tap Trillionaire has free stickers if you have the app installed. This includes an 8-bit Donald Trump, perfect if you like stickers of bad things.

Sailor Moon Drops has free stickers too, and those are way cuter.

Matt Frost

Another convert

Soon you'll be muttering "Just one more go..." until 3am

Soon? that happened on the same night I bought it xD Sooo tired today xD

Probably Binding of Isaac

Yep. Happy customer. Regarding the controls, I found them strange. They arent very good when Im trying to go through a door but I find them excelent while in combat. Strange but work in the most important area of the game. An outstanding game btw.

awp69

According to the verge app store prices are going up 25% in the UK soon. Time to buy all those games on my wishlist..

Not in the U.K., but strange that they'd be talking about that. Just checked and a pound = $1.24. So you're already paying more.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Not in the U.K., but strange that they'd be talking about that. Just checked and a pound = $1.24. So you're already paying more.

Mainstream media is reporting on it so Verge talking about it shouldn't be surprising.
And the price hike hasn't happened yet, it's due over the next week.

Top Bottom