• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2016 | Freedom to necrodance the night away

The indie ports have been on fire lately
d00KJ8N.jpg

Deleted a long time ago

I seen that game a lot lately... is it good? A roguelike?Tempted
Yes, a puzzle roguelike that takes Triple Town's item-combining mechanic and gives a strategic movement-based twist. You need to save children in the woods, combining items to create new ones to solve puzzles, defeat enemies, etc.

Matt Frost

Man it's one of the current most entertaining games.

The two Oddworld games are also on sale now for 99c. How is Stranger's Wrath on iOS?

I prefer games like Whale Trail, Tilt to Live, Silverfish, Worm Run, Dragon Hills or Threes anytime, anywhere

Yes, a puzzle roguelike that takes Triple Town's item-combining mechanic and gives a strategic movement-based twist. You need to save children in the woods, combining items to create new ones to solve puzzles, defeat enemies, etc.

Will see a video when I get home (currently walking my dog)

PittaGAF

So....45 hours later I completed another hardcore playthrough of Warhammer Quest.
Still an absolute masterpiece, loved every minute of it.
Last quests are fucking incredible.

Hands down my most played game ever, since I own a gaming decice (The Intellevision).

This was my fastest run yet, previous one was 79 hours....
My party is almost unstoppable (but the Ice Palace and the Fire Labyrinth were still pretty hard).
I finally found full armour sets for both the Marauder and the Ironbreaker.
I still find never seen loot, and I have yet to find a second time the Hammer of Sigmar, which I saw just once in my first normal playthrough.

Now I'm really torn between the Guild of Dungeoneering and the Road not Taken (which I didn't know anything about till minutes ago....looks a blend between Triple Town and Year Walk).

Any suggestion?

Now I'm really torn between the Guild of Dungeoneering and the Road not Taken (which I didn't know anything about till minutes ago....looks a blend between Triple Town and Year Walk).

Any suggestion?
They're both roguelikes, but also very different. Personally I prefer Road Not Taken, because it's more complex and it's all about discovering the game's secrets and figuring out how to tackle different enemies and challenges. It's not easy, and you will fail

Dungeoneering is a lot of fun, although I felt it can be too reliant on luck, frustratingly so at times. But it's charming, looks great, will be getting big free updates, and is a unique take on the genre

PittaGAF

They're both roguelikes, but also very different. Personally I prefer Road Not Taken, because it's more complex and it's all about discovering the game's secrets and figuring out how to tackle different enemies and challenges. It's not easy, and you will fail

Dungeoneering is a lot of fun, although I felt it can be too reliant on luck, frustratingly so at times. But it's charming, looks great, will be getting big free updates, and is a unique take on the genre

You're not helping at all.
My wallet hates you :p

Thanks!!!

awp69

You're not helping at all.
My wallet hates you :p

Thanks!!!

I have Road Not Taken on PS4 (it was a PS+ freebie) and it's a decent game but didn't hold my interest long. I probably need to give it another try one of these days though.

I'm enjoying Guild of Dungeoneering but agree with MB with it feeling very reliant on luck. It's full of charm though and is really unique in how it plays vs other roguelikes.

awp69

Hey Matt, think I remember you being a big fan of the Rayman runner games. You should check out RedStory. Gorgeous Disney like graphics and autorunning gameplay that reminds me a lot of Rayman Jungle/Fiesta Run.

F2P with video ads between levels, but you can pay $3.99 to remove ads.

Just getting into it but impressed so far.

killercow

Hey Matt, think I remember you being a big fan of the Rayman runner games. You should check out RedStory. Gorgeous Disney like graphics and autorunning gameplay that reminds me a lot of Rayman Jungle/Fiesta Run.

Worth pointing out that it's made by one of the artist behind Origin and Legend, hence the similar style.

Matt Frost

I have Road Not Taken on PS4 (it was a PS+ freebie)

Now I remember the game... I have it as well... didnt play much to make a solid opinion.

Hmmmm...we have very similar taste in games .

If you like those, definitely.

Downloaded, played a few levels. The art is impressive, like Rayman, and it even has the one of the sfx from the Rayman games (when you collect the coins)... so far, except all the boosters and such things, the auto running is lovely... will be playing more

Pachimari

I seriously hope those Oddworld games are also on sale tomorrow, when I got money for it. Hopefully Stranger's Wrath plays nicely on an iPad Pro.

Matt Frost

^^ Severed is 6$ but worth mentioning that it has a launch discount until august 4. Then it will be.. who knows... also, is Infinity Blade taken the the max. This game is not something that releases on iOS every day, this one is special.

"Severed's terrific mechanics are as universal as its moving story" - Polygon - Justin McElroy

"The talented team at Drinkbox Studios may have created the single best touch-based game ever" - Hardcore Gamer - Matt Whittaker

"One of the deepest, most rewarding touch-experiences in recent memory" - Pocket Gamer - Ray Willmott

Also...

Requires a Metal-enabled device running iOS 9 or later

Pachimari

Hmm, I have no idea what any of those games are, I do remember looking forward to Severed though. I might pick of Stranger's Wrath, Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssey, Severed, Road Not Taken, Orbyss and maybe some older releases tomorrow.

Jerm411

Was really curious about Severed, def. will buy it and play it...looks like a perfect iPad game.

Power Hover looks awesome too and for free....? Pfffft yes please.

killercow

Impressions of Severed, Road Not Taken, Phoenix 2, and Orbyss would be appreciated for the August thread

Phoenix II takes the same basic concept of Phoenix I but transforms it in deep, meaningful ways. You no longer play random waves each time you start a new game, instead you play a randomly generated series of levels that changes every day. This way you'll be competing with other players on a daily basis. On top of that, they've changed the way ships work. They can all be upgraded and are unlocked either with coins that you get every day or via a daily random unlock.

Given the huge selection of ships, slick bullet-hell gameplay and fantastic-looking graphics this is a free-to-play that's fair and that I can see myself playing for a long, long time a little bit every day.

If you're a fan of shoot-em-up, bullet-hell or the first Phoenix I, you have to check it out.

Matt Frost

Why Blyss have isometric pics on iTunes while regular ones on the trailer???

Edit: Asked the dev on Twitter... dont take it wrong, but I dont expect you guys to know this stuff

I mean on mobile, since $5.99 is a launch sale price

Ups... I dont know but probably a lot more than a 1$ discount

Jarsonot

AppStore search for "severed" or "drinkbox" didn't turn up anything for me, but I found a link for it that brought me to the appstore page. Weird.

(Can't seem to copy the link, got it off of toucharcade)

killercow

AppStore search for "severed" or "drinkbox" didn't turn up anything for me, but I found a link for it that brought me to the appstore page. Weird.

It's also on the front page of the App Store and one of the featured games ;)

schnarf

I had to search for both words together to find it. "severed drinkbox"

pronk420

Bit of an odd question but is there anything like creeper world on iOS? Or more broadly, good tower defence games that aren't kingdom rush? (I know creeper world isn't tower defence as such, but I doubt there is anything exactly like it on iOS).

Jarsonot

It's also on the front page of the App Store and one of the featured games ;)

Hah! I didn't even think to look, I just usually know what I want so I search for it.

That will definitely get them more sales (being featured) so they're probably not mad, but I'd be a little miffed if a search for my game didn't turn up any results.

Severed is great. Wrote a short addendum to the PG review about the IOS version. Plays perfectly on touch, I'd argue that like Papers Please, it might just be the definite version of the game

Top Bottom