• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread March 2013: It's $1 per post, $5 for 8 posts or $10 for 20 posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

The End

I've got an iPhone and an android tablet so I wound up picking up Dungeon Hearts for steam. It's charming as hell, but the mouse controls suuuuuck. It's clearly designed and balanced around touch controls. Has anyone picked it up for iPad yet? How are you liking it?

KingKong

The only NimbleBit game I really liked was Pocket Frogs, Tiny Tower and Pocket Planes were just cuter versions of cynical f2p energy management 'games'

FnordChan

Inklewriter's conversion of Steve Jackson's The Sorcery is looking really really nice:

http://youtu.be/3UdYssQleZk

I'm super excited for the Sorcery! iOS conversion. The Inkle website has pegged the release date for the first volume as May 4th and between the screenshots there and the PAX video, I'm super stoked to check it out. I'm particularly pleased that they look to have retained the aesthetic of the John Blanche illustrations. I'm also digging the way they've implemented the magic system.

Damn, now I may have to dig up the original gamebooks to tide me over during the wait!

FnordChan

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
How is ms splosion man? I downloaded it. Havent played it.

I played the first two levels JUST FOR YOU. I endured the entertaining experience that was the first two levels. The controls are not perfect but they work, the directions are at the bottom corner of the screen (bastards) but being able to tap anywhere to splode means you don't have to hold the device too awkwardly. The game is pretty fun too so far. I enjoyed the first one on XBL but never played this one.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
How is ms splosion man? I downloaded it. Havent played it.
I give it 4 of Jedeye's favourite quote from threads of yore
iqpM5ygWs0j2Z.png
iqpM5ygWs0j2Z.png
iqpM5ygWs0j2Z.png
iqpM5ygWs0j2Z.png
out of 5 .

I don't have an issue with buttons being at the bottom of the screen as I'm playing on a phoon.

GWX

Ms. Splosion Man is awesome. Kinda low poly, and the texture resolution isn't that great, but retina support makes the game shine on my fourth generation iPad. The controls are very simple and work very well, even though I wish I could set a custom position for the d-pad. I want the multiplayer from the Xbox 360 game, though! I had tons of fun playing the original Splosion Man with some friends, and I wish it was possible here too.

On an unrelated note, Bejeweled HD is on sale for 99 cents. I just bought it, and it's every bit as good as Bejeweled 3 on PC. It lacks quest and poker modes, but there is a "coming soon" note in the main screen, so maybe they will indeed come soon.

PittaGAF

Just for your information, yesterday (or 2 days ago, cant' remember) I joined the NeoGAF guild and tried the Arena.
Now I open the game, and NimbleQuest warns me NeoGAF guild was 6 in the world and I was second in the guild, and they gifted me 60 (!!!!) tokens.

Much appreciated :p

I wasn't aware about these 'arena events'....but I like this A LOT.
Basically, if I understood well...the single player is for leveling up your chars and then join the fray in the Arena.

Pretty cool.

Fjordson

On an unrelated note, Bejeweled HD is on sale for 99 cents. I just bought it, and it's every bit as good as Bejeweled 3 on PC. It lacks quest and poker modes, but there is a "coming soon" note in the main screen, so maybe they will indeed come soon.
Just got Bejewled on sale also. Funny how it's still fun after all this time. Simple, but endlessly effective.

Glad sonic dash has finally gone free. Waiting two weeks after launch for a price drop was already too long. But another whole week to be $0? Madness.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Are any of the Monkey Ball games on iOS good?

We bought the first one and it was just terrible due to the controls. Somehow my daughter managed to beat the game, but I'd rather have my knives stabbed in my eyes.

As for this Sonic Dash, it looks nice. Is it basically Temple Run with Sonic?

Cheebo

Banned
Sonic Dash isn't bad. Not as polished as Temple Run but you could do worse with the endless runner genre. And its free now so what do you got to lose?

Anyone having any good newer Match 3 recommendations?

I've already played Dungeons & Dragon, Puzzle Quest and Puzzle Saga?

I have yet to find another game like Puzzle Saga, every other Match 3 game, besides Bejeweled, will let you wait until kingdom come to make your next match.

bonesquad

Are any of the Monkey Ball games on iOS good?

I remember when I got the iPhone 3G at launch one of the first things I did was buy Monkey Ball for $10. TEN DOLLARS! How times have changed...

Oh yeah, I was disappointed in Monkey Ball. It isn't terrible, but it's so hard to control using tilt. At one point I grabbed Monkey Ball 2 for a buck just to see if it was better. It was, but still not great. Die hard fans might enjoy it, but more likely they'll just wish for the days of SMB on GameCube.

I remember when I got the iPhone 3G at launch one of the first things I did was buy Monkey Ball for $10. TEN DOLLARS! How times have changed...

Oh yeah, I was disappointed in Monkey Ball. It isn't terrible, but it's so hard to control using tilt. At one point I grabbed Monkey Ball 2 for a buck just to see if it was better. It was, but still not great. Die hard fans might enjoy it, but more likely they'll just wish for the days of SMB on GameCube.

I was hoping for something like the GameCube version. Thanks everyone, I guess I'll pass.

krYlon

I'm super excited for the Sorcery! iOS conversion. The Inkle website has pegged the release date for the first volume as May 4th and between the screenshots there and the PAX video, I'm super stoked to check it out. I'm particularly pleased that they look to have retained the aesthetic of the John Blanche illustrations. I'm also digging the way they've implemented the magic system.

Damn, now I may have to dig up the original gamebooks to tide me over during the wait!

FnordChan

I remember playing the books as a kid, I think they were probably the pinnacle of the Fighting Fantasy releases, along with Creature of Havoc. At least from a puzzle/design point of view.
The last one was really hard though, I don't think I finished it.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
ms splosion man's assets are way too small for my iphone screen. I'll have to play on ipad. This morning I was questioning my vision....

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
STAR WARS Pinball really pisses me off... Why the hell isn't there a more zoomed in view option in portrait mode, with the camera following the ball?!
Bah, waste of money... is there a chance they'll fix it, has anybody else complained? I've only downloaded the EPV table, thank god.

For those playing Happy Street, is Floozy offering less and less extra Flooz as time goes by? I remember when you would get double, then I didn't play for awhile and I come back to the offer of 1.5 more. Now, there's a new deal and it is only 1.3 more.

For those playing Happy Street, is Floozy offering less and less extra Flooz as time goes by? I remember when you would get double, then I didn't play for awhile and I come back to the offer of 1.5 more. Now, there's a new deal and it is only 1.3 more.

It's getting less, yeah. It changed from 2x to 1.5x at the same time as everything got 1.5x more expensive. 1.3x is new.

Is there a reason for it? I noticed I'm not getting as much regular money from visiting friends.

They want to give you less Flooz so you give them more money.

In unrelated news, I tried Sonic Dash since it's free. I played one game, and when I died it asked me to pay to revive myself, so I calmly pressed the "home" button and deleted the app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom