• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Shaneus

I doubt there'll be anything at all until it's officially released. I believe Pangu works on the iOS 8 betas, but will almost certainly be patched for final. Or already have, I'm not 100% sure.

velociraptor

Righto - my phone company is being such a cunt so I'll need to Jailbreak my phone in order to unlock the carrier.

How do I jailbreak my phone? I have an iPhone 4.

Also, will I lose all my apps/email settings/notes?

iLLmAtlc

Righto - my phone company is being such a cunt so I'll need to Jailbreak my phone in order to unlock the carrier.

How do I jailbreak my phone? I have an iPhone 4.

Also, will I lose all my apps/email settings/notes?

You won't lose anything, phone is exactly the same except you will have cydia (jailbreak App Store) installed.

However unless if you have ios 3-4 there will be no unlock available even with jailbreak.

You might want to look into an imei unlock. eBay is a good start : "your carrier imei unlock iphone"

Shaneus

So it was announced that iOS 8 is coming out on the 17th. I'm getting a second-hand 5S from someone who's posting it to me on the 17th (replacing it with a 6). How big is the window (usually) between iOS release and when they stop signing the old version? I'd be devastated if I can't wipe and upgrade it myself.

If he wipes it with the plain 7.1.2 IPSW and no restore before sending it to me I should be right though. Right?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
On 7.0 now, considering going to 7.1 before 7.0 signing stops but unsure about the exact process for updating.

Is it connect to iTunes, 'manual backup', boot into DFU mode, Restore phone (NOT update) via iTunes to 7.1.2, then 'Restore Backup' through iTunes, then use Pangu to re-jailbreak?

Shaneus

From memory, pretty much... but you don't need to worry about DFU.

Are you currently jailbroken? If not, an iTunes backup will be fine. If so, you'll need to work on another step or two to "backup" your j/b gear.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Shaneus

Thankfully, 7.1.2 was/is still being signed at the time I got my new (second-hand) 5S, so I could to a full, restore and am now waiting for the iCloud restore to work before jailbreaking. Very relieved/happy!

Boney

Banned
With Controllers for All, can you simultanously use the PS3 pad on both the PS3 and my phone easily? or do I need to hook it to the pc first everytime?

Shaneus

With Controllers for All, can you simultanously use the PS3 pad on both the PS3 and my phone easily? or do I need to hook it to the pc first everytime?
You need to hook it to your PC if you've been using it on your PS3, because doing that forces the controller to connect to your iDevice when you input it's bluetooth code. Resyncing it to PS3 wipes that.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

If you iOS game a lot with it you should probably get another PS3 pad just to be synced to your iDevice, otherwise is a bit of a pain to keep changing the addresses on the pad.

Shaneus

Doesn't include cydia yet though, Pangu released to the public before telling Saurik about it, so he's working on it now apparently (according to reddit).

Need to JB this new iPad stat.
Whaaaaaaat! This makes me a little less apprehensive about receiving my new refurb Mini 2 and what iOS is on there.

What's the verdict on 8/8.1 anyway? Is it worth upgrading from 7.1.2? I get the impression it isn't.

Edit: Cydia is out, apparently. But not included in Pangu yet.

Sye d'Burns

Whaaaaaaat! This makes me a little less apprehensive about receiving my new refurb Mini 2 and what iOS is on there.

What's the verdict on 8/8.1 anyway? Is it worth upgrading from 7.1.2? I get the impression it isn't.

Edit: Cydia is out, apparently. But not included in Pangu yet.

I received a refurb mini 2 straight from China on Monday. It had 7.1.2. I've not jailbroken but I've held off updating until I saw how 8.1 settled.

FedEx never ceases to amaze me. It wasn't even due to arrive until the 23rd and I was signing for it on the 20th.

Shaneus

I received a refurb mini 2 straight from China on Monday. It had 7.1.2. I've not jailbroken but I've held off updating until I saw how 8.1 settled.

FedEx never ceases to amaze me. It wasn't even due to arrive until the 23rd and I was signing for it on the 20th.
I got mine today, came with 7.1.2 :) Jailbroke right away (after the cloud did it's thing) and running smoothly as hell.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I assume someone will post in here to say when the iOS 8 Jailbreak has all it's bugs worked out and comes with Cydia pre-installed? I know I can do it all myself now, but I think I'd rather wait and have the all-in-one method once they've fixing all the issues. I can get by without the jailbreak in the meantime, although I'm looking forward to all the new tweaks.

ryan299

I have such a weird bug. Every time I put the phone to sleep, springboard crashes. Can't figure out which app is causing it

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Is it just me or does this jailbreak feel buggier than usual? Getting some weird Safari behaviour now and restarting the iPad sometimes takes a few loads of the Apple logo.

I just want them to update Retroarch to 64 bit, I miss it so much.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Is it just me or does this jailbreak feel buggier than usual? Getting some weird Safari behaviour now and restarting the iPad sometimes takes a few loads of the Apple logo.

I just want them to update Retroarch to 64 bit, I miss it so much.

For me, it's probably running better than it has in years. Aside from a lot of tweaks not being updated to iOS 8 yet, the ones that do are running well and a respring seems to only take a few seconds. Probably a side-effect of moving from an iPhone 4 to a 6 though. Much snappier, at least for now...

Shaneus

I don't know how reliable the latest Pangu jailbreak is, but this does not look good in the slightest:
iOS 8.1.1 kills Pangu untethered jailbreak

They're basically saying the 8.1.1 beta jailbreak patches the vulnerability used by Pangu up to this point to j/b 8.0 and 8.1. I'm damn surprised Apple got onto it that quickly. Internally debating whether to upgrade from 7.1.2 to 8.1 and lose near-complete Cydia app compatibility or not.

So has anyone used the latest (1.2.0 I think?) Pangu for 8.1? Is it as solid as, say, the last Pangu 7.1.2 or is it still flaky?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I don't know how reliable the latest Pangu jailbreak is, but this does not look good in the slightest:
iOS 8.1.1 kills Pangu untethered jailbreak

They're basically saying the 8.1.1 beta jailbreak patches the vulnerability used by Pangu up to this point to j/b 8.0 and 8.1. I'm damn surprised Apple got onto it that quickly. Internally debating whether to upgrade from 7.1.2 to 8.1 and lose near-complete Cydia app compatibility or not.

So has anyone used the latest (1.2.0 I think?) Pangu for 8.1? Is it as solid as, say, the last Pangu 7.1.2 or is it still flaky?

I'm using the jailbreak on my iPhone 6, seems solid to me at the moment. I haven't had any issues, anyway. There were things floating around about bugs and issues people were having, but those seem to have been ironed out. I can only offer my experience with it, but I'm happy to have jailbroken. Best to do it now and wait for the tweaks to get updated to make them compatible than to wait and potentially miss out on a jailbreak at all.

Shaneus

It's kinda safe to now, Saurik posted via Twitter/Reddit that he's authorised payments to go through on the iOS8 devices running Cydia (he previously said he wouldn't until he was confident everything was stable).

I'm not sure I even want to update to iOS 8. I still regret updating my iPad 4 to iOS 7. It has become a really sluggish mess and isn't smooth at all anymore. I can't see iOS 8 making things better.

Shaneus

My 5S doesn't seem to run any worse, for what it's worth. *And* I'm running it in the downsampled mode*.

*I think for testing or something, Apple included a thing where you could downsample on any device running iOS8. So I'm running the 6's resolution on my 5S.

O.DOGG

I'm not sure I even want to update to iOS 8. I still regret updating my iPad 4 to iOS 7. It has become a really sluggish mess and isn't smooth at all anymore. I can't see iOS 8 making things better.

I was wary of slowdowns too but it doesn't appear to run any slower for me for the couple of hours I've had it installed.

andycapps

Did the Pangu jailbreak last night. I had to do it a couple times but eventually got it to work. No issues.

Any good tweaks out for ios8?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So far I'm using FolderEnhancer, f.lux, GifPaper, Infinifolders, PowerSoundDisabler and TransparentVolume. I'm finding myself needing a lot fewer tweaks these days, iOS 7 & 8 have made a lot of the tweaks I used official features.

Enzom21

Did the Pangu jailbreak last night. I had to do it a couple times but eventually got it to work. No issues.

Any good tweaks out for ios8?

NCFold(Don't know why Apple still hasn't added the ability to collapse notifications.)
Tage
MultiiconMover+
ForceGoodfit
CCSettings
BetterFiveColumnHomescreen
BetterFiveIconDock

Dez

Wow just did this. LittleBrother is an awesome tweak that enables those landscape modes on the iPhone 6 just like the plus. Also enables an even further zoomed out view that I presume is similar to the 6plus

jiggle

With new out of the box idevices
I don't have to worry about OTA update problem when jailbreaking ya?

Been out of the loop in androidland
What's a safe site to use for dowbload and jb 7.1.1?
I'm looking at evasi0n.com and it only goes up to 7.0.6?

Shaneus

8.1.1 is officially out, time is obviously limited if you wanted to upgrade to 8.1 and jailbreak your iDevice. No-one knows how long 8.1 will still be signed for (as in, how long you can still upgrade your device to it without being forced to go to 8.1.1) so best do it ASAP.

Shaneus

8.1.2 can be jailbroken by Taig, which is the latest JB. It can also jailbreak 8.1.1 (which is essentially identical to 8.1.2), 8.1 and 8.0.

I jailbroke my iPhone 5S last night. I had jailbroken my previous iPhone (4) and decided I would run clean for a while after I got my 5S. But man, I didn't realize how much I missed the awesome Cydia tweaks/apps until I jailbroke last night.

Unfortunately it was a little more complicated than it should have been, due to me updating my iTunes yesterday morning. For those of you who don't know, the newest version of iTunes (12.1) causes TaiG to not work. Thankfully someone on the jailbreak subreddit made a tutorial post on how to downgrade iTunes:

Since iTunes 12.1 has broken restores to iOS 8.1.2 and for some user's, TaiG fails to detect it, here is a guide on how to revert back to iTunes 12.0.1.

1. Uninstall Apple Application Support, Apple Mobile Device Support, iCloud and iTunes 12.1.

2. Rename iTunes Library.itl to iTunes Library.bak. This file is located in C:\Users[your username]\Music\iTunes on Windows. On a Mac, it's located in ~/Music/iTunes.

3. Reboot the computer.

Install iTunes 12.0.1:
Windows 32-bit
Windows 64-bit
OS X

I decided to go pretty light on the tweaks because I play multiplayer games like World of Tanks on my phone so I didn't want to sacrifice performance. Here's the stuff I installed:

Activator
CCSettings
LastApp
ShowCase
SwipeSelection
Status HUD 2
MxTube
GBA4iOS
Minimal Hosts Blocker
NoSlowAnimations
Shou
UntetheredHeySiri

Everything is running great so far. I only ran into 1 issue, which was with Activator/LastApp. I set LastApp to activate via short hold of the Home button. This caused my phone to freeze because it would try to switch to the last app and launch Siri at the same time. I fixed the issue by setting LastApp to activate via short or long hold of the Home button. This disabled Siri from launching by normal means, so that's why I ended up downloading UntetheredHeySiri.

Sakujou

Banned
hi there, i need help:

i want to go from 7.0.4 to 7.1.2

tried i have the ipsw-file but trying shift+restore does not work.

it says error 3194. checked it already and it seems that apple wont sign this ios anymore.

what should it do?
i tried to delete the host-file, but since there is no ip-address in there, i cant delete there anything.

hope there is a better description or better solution, since i dont like the bad performance from ios8 on my ipad 4.

iLLmAtlc

hi there, i need help:

i want to go from 7.0.4 to 7.1.2

tried i have the ipsw-file but trying shift+restore does not work.

it says error 3194. checked it already and it seems that apple wont sign this ios anymore.

what should it do?
i tried to delete the host-file, but since there is no ip-address in there, i cant delete there anything.

hope there is a better description or better solution, since i dont like the bad performance from ios8 on my ipad 4.

Unfortunately there's no way once Apple stops signing for newer devices not susceptible to limera1n exploit

Top Bottom