• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 8 Is World's Fastest Phone (It's Not Even Close)

rambis

Banned
On one hand, his hyperbolic statement was obviously ridiculous.

On the other, is it really worth lol-ing the fact that Samsung’s new flagship barely wins a lot of these benchmarks against Apple’s year-old phone, and loses plenty of others?
Yes? I don't know how many times it has to be explained that these products generally leapfrog each other. Its more like 5-6 months between them and Apple usually improves by the same margins over the previous top Android.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/products/lang/en_us/devices/iphone-7,galaxy-s7-edge/

Yes, the apple processors are generally better at some tasks and worse at others. No, you can't ignore everything else outside of ST perf to claim Apple has a "multi-year" advantage.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
10 betas (most for an ios beta ever) and probably the most unstable, buggy, unoptimized version of ios I've ever seen as an official release. My ipad mini 2 took the bullet and that's fine but my phone won't be updated for awhile even if I really want the new control center
My ipad mini2 is staying on ios10 forever - I use it for performance tasks.

that's because they have money left over after buying their phone to pay for the data plan heyoooo
I chuckled ; )

that's because they have money left over after buying their phone to pay for the data plan heyoooo

Well, as long as they bought a one plus, otherwise phones with flagship performance are barely less expensive than iPhones.

I mean we all freaked about the X’s price but the note 8 is barely cheaper.

wachie

Well, as long as they bought a one plus, otherwise phones with flagship performance are barely less expensive than iPhones.

I mean we all freaked about the X’s price but the note 8 is barely cheaper.
$30-60 can still pay for the data plan.

for a month

Because obviously that's the ONLY area that iPhone is faster.

Of course faster and more powerful is better but my 6s is fast on messenger and safari.

How about where it really matters to people and develop a cpu/gpu that is low power and enough power so your phone lasts 2-3 days between charging.

While I don't dispute the amazing job Apple has done with their SoC, countless Geekbench scores are starting to become a bit worthless.

Show me the performance/energy consumption of those cores compared to the reference ARM designs and then we'll talk.

wachie

Of course faster and ore powerful is better but my 6s is fast on messenger and safari.

How about where it really matters to people and develop a cpu/gpu that is low power and enough power so your phone lasts 2-3 days between charging.
I'm with you on that .. downclock the A11 such that it's as fast my 6S+ and lasts 3 days. My 6S+ already lasts me a day and half (with iOS11 taking it down to a day) and would love a similar experience but going without charging for 3 days.

However, the paradigm is such that all vendors seem to pursue performance at the cost of battery life, even if it means to barely achieve "all-day" battery.

iOS is shit so who cares if the hardware is good? And how is editing a video on a smartphone a realistic test? I don't know anyone who does this on the reg, even if at all. People shelling out cash for performance they won't even use.

I'm not sure if this really matters to people who don't edit videos on their phones.

There haven't been many people editing video on their phones because phones have been too slow for that to be a good experience. Now that performance is getting there, we'll see what happens, but over the last decade the best course of action has been to never bet against the smartphone.

When phones were too slow to browse the internet snapily, people didn't really do it, then they got fast enough to browse in a pinch. Then they got fast enough to offer a great browsing experience and now people browse constantly. I have plenty of friends that browse at home on their couches 5 feet away from their laptops. They are more comfortable on the phone.

Same thing with photo editing. When the phone got performant enough to apply photo filters, Instagram jumped on it and you had millions of people editing photos on their phones. Then phones got performant enough for Snapchat to move in with it's realtime video filters.

Throughout the history of computing, every single time computers have become more capable people have immediately found uses for that capability. Everytime there have also been naysayers who, for some reason, argue that computers don't need to be more performant and that extra capabilities will be unused. I've watched this cycle happen for over 30 years and somehow it still persists.

Dehnus

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-8-benchmarks-fastest-phone,review-4676.html

More at the link. Apple's chip design is so far ahead of the competition it is not even funny. It cannot be long before they replace the intel chips in Macs with their own chips.

Ah, I wondered if it was Geekbench, and yup it's Geekbench. There is a reason Linus Torvalds calls out that "benchmark suite" it really favours Apple's SOCs over others.

But Apple Fanboys can use it as ammo again in their battle against the Samsung ones in their Internet wars.

rambis

Banned
iOS is shit so who cares if the hardware is good? And how is editing a video on a smartphone a realistic test? I don't know anyone who does this on the reg, even if at all. People shelling out cash for performance they won't even use.
Im not sure where yout gripes stem from but Apple's OS and Xcode/SDK are probably their biggest advantages. The level of granularity they give is pretty much unmatched outside of game consoles.

Ah, I wondered if it was Geekbench, and yup it's Geekbench. There is a reason Linus Torvalds calls out that "benchmark suite" it really favours Apple's SOCs over others.

But Apple Fanboys can use it as ammo again in their battle against the Samsung ones in their Internet wars.
Yeah anybody that tries to subscribe to one benchmark religously is auto ignored by me.

Futureman

I wouldn't say it's shit and this is going off topic, but I stopped in an Apple store yesterday and while I looove the 8 hardware I really do prefer Android as an OS. I might still do an iPhone next just to switch things up but if I go iPhone it will have nothing to do with the processor. My S7 still feels totally smooth to me after a year.

Dehnus

Im not sure where yout gripes stem from but Apple's OS and Xcode/SDK are probably their biggest advantages. The level of granularity they give is pretty much unmatched outside of game consoles.

Yeah anybody that tries to subscribe to one benchmark religously is auto ignored by me.

I just don't understand why Apple Fanboys do it. I mean they have huge advantages in usability. They have a killer phone that is small with the iPhone SE. Yet they focus on a benchmark score to fight the Samsung fanboys while they do not really have a small phone competitor at all nor one that offers the same user friendliness.

Dehnus

I wouldn't say it's shit and this is going off topic, but I stopped in an Apple store yesterday and while I looove the 8 hardware I really do prefer Android as an OS. I might still do an iPhone next just to switch things up but if I go iPhone it will have nothing to do with the processor. My S7 still feels totally smooth to me after a year.

Wouldn't it be fucked up if it wasn't?

The damn thing is only a year old!

tensuke

While impressive (A11 is a beast), I feel like we need more information on the video encoding. What apps were used, what settings were used, what edits were made, comparison of final videos, etc. Not to mention that could be a result of specialized hardware in the A11 and not indicative of an overall performance delta that massive (although, for video editing, all things being equal that's really good performance).

bionic77

There is nothing magical about any of these phones.

If you are happy with your phone I would say to stick with it until you are not happy with it.

It's 100% the result of hardware encoding in the A11.

Every mobile CPU has hardware encoding and decoding of supported video formats. The hit to battery life of doing it in software would be obscene.

KHarvey16

It’s a shame you didn’t read the article or the thread. You might have seen the other benchmarks being discussed. I guess it would have ruined your preferred narrative though.

reKon

Banned
Oh makes sense. Impressive.

A11x on next iPad gonna be wild.

Between the A10x, 60hrz display, and file system / multitasking I was about to pick one up the future. I convinced myself that I wouldn't actually use this enough so I held off. Whenever they make an OLED iPad, I'm going to very tempted again.

rambis

Banned
I just don't understand why Apple Fanboys do it. I mean they have huge advantages in usability. They have a killer phone that is small with the iPhone SE. Yet they focus on a benchmark score to fight the Samsung fanboys while they do not really have a small phone competitor at all nor one that offers the same user friendliness.

I think most Apple guys are just trying to get pay back for the older days where Apple weren't as competitive tech wise.

Hmm watching mkbhd unboxing video and the multiscore was comparable to the note 8 around 6400. How is Tom getting 10k?

https://youtu.be/H1KRDYZIOaw

Right, once the phone has all the bloat loaded its hard to get accurate readings. Thats why I generally only trust the pre release benchmarks that take care to strip all 5hw extra fat because once users start reporting scores it gets real hazy.

Traditionally this has mostly favored Apple, who hasnt had true multitasking ala Android or Windows and fully suspended idle apps but supposedly IOS11 changes this? I really need to read up on it.

It’s a shame you didn’t read the article or the thread. You might have seen the other benchmarks being discussed. I guess it would have ruined your preferred narrative though.
Ehh not sure what you mean because people have been almost unimaously referencing the geekbench numbers. Its the only way the "apple is years ahead" gibberish makes any sense instead of just being completely stupid.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
In what way does it favour Apple SoCs?

Geekbench is universally used in the industry as a very representative CPU-only synthetic test. Surely apple fanboys have the right to use it, no?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm with you on that .. downclock the A11 such that it's as fast my 6S+ and lasts 3 days. My 6S+ already lasts me a day and half (with iOS11 taking it down to a day) and would love a similar experience but going without charging for 3 days.

However, the paradigm is such that all vendors seem to pursue performance at the cost of battery life, even if it means to barely achieve "all-day" battery.

Hmm. Give me a low power mode that isn’t as extreme as turning off push, but does slow down general performance. Would be interesting.

Has anyone done a test for battery life with low power mode on from a full charge?

Fhtagn

No. I addressed that, my feelings are the same....

You spent a couple pages going on about the clock speed being all that mattered and then didn't reply to the thread for more than a page after my post pointing out that the article goes into great detail about how the Samsung leaves the clock speed the same but changes the other rules in order to game the test.

So, where did you address that?

Ehh not sure what you mean because people have been almost unimaously referencing the geekbench numbers. Its the only way the "apple is years ahead" gibberish makes any sense instead of just being completely stupid.

Here's another thing you keep doing: saying people are saying Apple is years, plural, ahead, when everyone is saying they are 12-14 months ahead. So you exaggerate what other people are saying and then turn around and say "it's more like 6-9 months, lol", without backing up those numbers either.

Futureman

Wouldn't it be fucked up if it wasn't?

The damn thing is only a year old!

True but there seems to be this sentiment in here that Android phones go to shit after 6 months. I'm sure that can happen on the cheaper ones but if you go with a Pixel or Samsung I don't see any issue.

Guess Who

Banned
You spent a couple pages going on about the clock speed being all that mattered and then didn't reply to the thread for more than a page after my post pointing out that the article goes into great detail about how the Samsung leaves the clock speed the same but changes the other rules in order to game the test.

So, where did you address that?

see, when anandtech - a renowned tech website known for in-depth reviews of cpu performance and architecture - says that samsung was gaming benchmarks, that doesn't compare to the word of rambis, a poster who prior to this thread did not actually know what geekbench is or does other than make numbers appear and yet repeatedly feels qualified to offer their insight into why it doesn't matter

KHarvey16

I think you should do a lot more reading too. You’ve consistently misunderstood these benchmarks, the hardware being tested and the explanations for why you’re getting it wrong and then after half a day come back as if that never happened and start doing the exact same thing. It’s like a reset button gets pushed.

Fhtagn

Why do people still bother responding to him? This isn't the first time he's done this. Pretty convinced he's elaborately trolling at this point.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the case as well, which is why I kept it to just a couple sentences in reply and stuck him on the ignore list.

EDIT: ok, based on the below I'm switching my take to a legit meltdown rather than trolling. I'm peacing out of this thread after this edit cuz it'd be wack to keep antagonizing.

rambis

Banned
Wtf are you talking about? No, the clock doesnt stay the same. Thats the whole point of the article you all keep linking lol. There is a limiter in place that will lower the clock when a certain heat threshold is met. This article is reporting that Samsung and/or Qualcomm are removing this limiter for these benchmarks and therefore not autonomously decreasing the clock as it normally would.

Its becoming increasingly harder to take you all seriously.

Here's another thing you keep doing: saying people are saying Apple is years, plural, ahead, when everyone is saying they are 12-14 months ahead. So you exaggerate what other people are saying and then turn around and say "it's more like 6-9 months, lol", without backing up those numbers either.

ITS BULLSHIT EITHER WAY. Again I don't know what the hell you are going on about. There is no accuracy to that claim outside of geekbench ST.

I think you should do a lot more reading too. You’ve consistently misunderstood these benchmarks, the hardware being tested and the explanations for why you’re getting it wrong and then after half a day come back as if that never happened and start doing the exact same thing. It’s like a reset button gets pushed.
Lol ok. And Im sure you're able to "explain" the bullshit claims above then?

Fhtagn

Wtf are you talking about? No, the clock doesnt stay the same. Thats the whole point of the article you all keep linking lol. There is a limiter in place that will lower the clock when a certain heat threshold is met. This article is reporting that Samsung and/or Qualcomm are removing this limiter for these benchmarks and therefore not autonomously decreasing the clock as it normally would.

And changing this threshold, which is not an option available to developers, is not cheating how?

Its becoming increasingly harder to take you all seriously.

heh

ITS BULLSHIT EITHER WAY. Again I don't know what the hell you are going on about. There is no accuracy to that claim outside of geekbench ST.

This conversation boils down to this:

People: Apple is 12-14 months ahead in Geekbench scores.
You: THAT'S BULLSHIT.
People: uh, but they are, and Geekbench is fairly well respected, so what's your point?

rambis

Banned
And changing this threshold, which is not an option available to developers, is not cheating how?

heh

Its an option to the user. People can disable these features in developer options if they wanted to and get the same performance...

Edit:

This conversation boils down to this:

People: Apple is 12-14 months ahead in Geekbench scores.
You: THAT'S BULLSHIT.
People: uh, but they are, and Geekbench is fairly well respected, so what's your point?

Except this isnt what happened at all. No one has said geekbench, you all are trying, badly at that to make this indicative of the full SoC performance despite several contradictory benches being posted.

Fhtagn

Its an option to the user. People can disable these features in developer options if they wanted to and get the same performance...

Ok, I apparently can't help myself, but:

If you really can bypass thermal safety on your phone, this is still a false benchmark because then it's a benchmark of only that mode and not the real performance of the phone. It should be benchmarking the phone as it is currently configured, only.

You're just plain wrong on this. Changing the rules when a specific process is running is cheating. No wiggle room whatsoever.

Except this isnt what happened at all. No one has said geekbench, you all are trying, badly at that to make this indicative of the full SoC performance despite several contradictory benches being posted.

You are really worked up about this, trying to argue that Apple is only 6-9 months ahead rather than a year. If you want, go write a detailed essay defending this position, and I'll give it a read. But if you're just going to keep replying "nuh-uh!" and "lol," well, we're done here.

It may be the fastest phone but is that the most important thing? No.

It doesn't have:

-fingerprint scanner
-headphone jack
-the brigthest/best display
-best camera(s)
-best battery life

rambis

Banned
Lol gotta love posters who try to call you out then backtrack when their BS falls on its face. Yeah Im done here...

Top Bottom