• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 8 Is World's Fastest Phone (It's Not Even Close)

ZOONAMI

The LG V30 seems to have so far the most impressive camera of the bunch.

https://youtu.be/P4aiMadEa74

I’d say it’s pretty much a wash so it depends on if you want a wide angle or zoom second lens.

Also 4k60 recording with iPhone if that’s your thing.

Lg v30 should have better low light shots but I’m not seeing it.

If the pixel 2xl comes to T-Mobile I’ll probably jump to it from the 8+ depending on pricing.

Flo_Evans

lol the 8 feels pretty quick to me.

Im not sure why anyone would want a 4k screen on a phone... you are just slowing it down for no reason.

Theonik

why asinine? Is this simply related to frustration of them deprecating 32-bit apps?
Dropping compatibility for very little gain is asinine yes. Or in Apple's language courageous.

Whenever Apple switched to Intel, weren't the new Intel chips significantly better than the PPC chips they were using? That made Rosetta viable.

I'm guessing if they do switch to ARM on the laptops/desktops that the ARM chips will probably just about be equal.

could this complicate a switch from Intel to ARM? or am I wrong here?
PPC was quite competitive with Intel at the time but they weren't progressing as fast as Apple wanted. The big difference though is that x86 being CISC is much harder to write compatibility for compared to PPC.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Lg v30 should have better low light shots but I'm not seeing it.

ISP in the A11 seems to be through the roof. I have a strong feeling that's why you are seeing such low noise in low light shots.

Dropping compatibility for very little gain is asinine yes. Or in Apple's language courageous.

but I mean... there was gain... ironically this in fact WAS courageous. apps caught in the great appocalypse were either submitted before mid-2015 and/or updated prior to early 2015. and who do you think hears it first/most when an app breaks with an iOS update. I'd bet serious money that apple is the first one to field calls for that, for an app that a developer has left to die.

as a long time career IT individual... I can only think back to the number of "we can't upgrade this workstation to win2000 because this stuff only works on Win95" etc. the upgrade from 32-to-64bit at the OS level was/is not trivial... and we can only guerss at the effort required by apple to maintain compatibility with those apps that were left for dead.

ZOONAMI

Im not sure why anyone would want a 4k screen on a phone... you are just slowing it down for no reason.

A practical application of a 4K screen would be a dope mobile VR headset, problem is the mobile gpus lack the grunt to do much with it, at least from a gaming perspective. Would be an excellent mobile cinema type experience though.

PPC was quite competitive with Intel at the time but they weren't progressing as fast as Apple wanted. The big difference though is that x86 being CISC is much harder to write compatibility for compared to PPC.

Nah, the G5 was a total disaster and was never competitive. The G4 was competitive for a little bit, but was way behind, especially in laptops, when Apple made the switch.

Well yeah but the iPhone can't change where the clock is positioned on the screen so none of that other stuff matters.

Or do true multitasking, or offer full file-level access, or offer anywhere near the customization/feature sets available, or even have widgets.

That's not to mention the plethora of better (or merely existing) hardware feautures - Screen, Camera, IRIS/Touch Scanning, RAM, IP durability, etc. Hell, even a headphone jack.

What's funny is I actually gave the iPhone credit in my post and still fankids wanna turn it into a pissing match.

borghe

Or do true multitasking, or offer full file-level access, or offer anywhere near the customization/feature sets available, or even have widgets.

That's not to mention the plethora of better (or merely existing) hardware feautures - Screen, Camera, IRIS/Touch Scanning, RAM, IP durability, etc. Hell, even a headphone jack.

What's funny is I actually gave the iPhone credit in my post and still fankids wanna turn it into a pissing match.

but you said "literally everything else is superior" which is factually false "literally". so tell me where the pissing match started? for example the S8+ camera can't do 1080p240 or 4K60. We know traditionally flash speeds in iPhones are nuts and ahead of everyone else because they essentially buy all of it. So yeah, there is more than simply the CPU that is better than S8/8+ etc..

Physician, heal thyself.

borghe

...he said to the guy who was posting from an Android device. We're getting serious in here.

but even beyond that.... that goes back to EXACTLY what happened last damn page

"oh yeah, it's impressive CPU. but I don't care because all of these other things on android are awesome!!!!!"

...in a thread for an article focusing specifically on CPU performance. I mean..... why? Oh because it's the new android backhanded compliment. Article saying iPhone won some benchmark/test. Android user: "Wow that's not bad, except that I like literally everything else about android so I'll stay there!!"

....how is that contributing to the discussion at all?

The funny shit is that Samsung runs their displays in wide aspect ratio 1080p and upscales it for their 1440p panels. This is compared to the iPhone 8 Plus which runs at 2208x1242 internally (3x retina) and downsamples back to 1080p for the panel.

The iPhone 8 Plus actually pumps more pixels than the Note 8 in the default UI.

2013_%2B6_22_15_56.jpg

You’re either trolling or you were born with zero sense of self-awareness.

wachie

DXO: iPhone has the best Phone cameras
Detractors: DXO is irrelevant

Tom's: iPhone is the fastest Phone ever in Geekbench
Detractors: Geekbench is irrelevant

Tom's: iPhone is the fastest Phone ever in Video editing
Detractors: Video editing on phone is irrelevant

Tom's: iPhone is the faster Phone ever in GPU
Detractors: That's irrelevant too, what about file-level access, customization, widgets etc.

See, there is a pattern here. I'm not even sure why some of you are trying to respond to these snipes.

Theonik

Nah, the G5 was a total disaster and was never competitive. The G4 was competitive for a little bit, but was way behind, especially in laptops, when Apple made the switch.
Well yes the reasons why Apple moved away from PPC are well documented, G5 was beaten by C2D but not to the extent that it would be a major factor in whether Rosetta was or was not possible.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

Detractors: That's irrelevant too, what about file-level access, customization, widgets etc.

See, there is a pattern here. I'm not even sure why some of you are trying to respond to these snipes.

As someone with no stake in this, I feel like I'm seeing the same thing.

rambis

Banned

This is cute, but not at all what happened here.

Goddamn. I'm generally an Android guy, but Snapdragons are weaksauce compared to Apple's SoCs.

It's a beast of a chip. It's a shame Samsung doesn't invest more into a competitive chip of their own.

Qualcomm can't compete. Not a fair fight. Love that they've been upping their marketing spend trying to get ahead of this drubbing, though.

Same SOC in both. A11 Bionic.

The gap has been there for years but this years gap is the one that cements it. The rest are left in the dust. Even that is an understatement.

Except this year the s8 isn’t even as fast as the Iphone 7, and maybe just about beats out the 6s..

I surmise not everyone is well versed in the different benchmarks but no one is specifying geekbench. And the article is comprised of a few benchmarks so idk how anyone thinks the conversation is solely centered around the CPU, other than the fact that that's where most of Apple's advantage lies and not much elsewhere.

KHarvey16

This is cute, but not at all what happened here.

I surmise not everyone is well versed in the different benchmarks but no one is specifying geekbench. And the article is comprised of a few benchmarks so idk how anyone thinks the conversation is solely centered around the CPU, other than the fact that that's where most of Apple's advantage lies and not much elsewhere.

Oh you’re back.

Reset button engaged!

How does this actually affect me though? I don't edit videos or do crazy intensive tasks on my phone.

Is it possible that you don't do those things on your phone because they are bad experiences right now? Is it possible that if the phone was fast enough to make them good experiences you would start to do them?

Let's not try to rewrite history bere. G5 was quite competitive in performance, which is what the subject is about.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1936/9

The G5 was a dead end processor. It was never going to hit the thermals necessary to go into a laptop. Steve Jobs promised on stage that it would hit 3Ghz and it never did. Never even came close. It was a failure on the level of the Pentium 4, but, unlike intel, IBM had no interest in going back to the drawing board and fixing the problem.

KHarvey16

Yo, don't know wtf your deal is but you are weird as fuck annoucing everytime I come in and out of this thread and not actuallly having anything substantive to discuss. Please knock it off kthxbye...

Maybe you’re confusing me with the other people doing similar things? At some point you should wonder if it’s you and not us.

It is interesting you’d complain about people repeating themselves though.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The G5 was a dead end processor. It was never going to hit the thermals necessary to go into a laptop. Steve Jobs promised on stage that it would hit 3Ghz and it never did. Never even came close. It was a failure on the level of the Pentium 4, but, unlike intel, IBM had no interest in going back to the drawing board and fixing the problem.

I'm well aware of the TDP issues G5 had. You're missing the subject, though. Subject is how apple handled the ppc->amd64 tansition in terms of performance. TDP has nothing to do there.

cereal_killerxx

I hate iPhone and am perfectly content with my Samsung Galaxy S7. I don't need no frills. Just a decently fast pocket computer phone with a good camera.

Is it possible that you don't do those things on your phone because they are bad experiences right now? Is it possible that if the phone was fast enough to make them good experiences you would start to do them?

No. I'm not going to edit video on my phone and I'm a professional video editor lol. I use my phone for web browsing, basic apps watching video, messaging, and the occasional gaming. None of those require an over clocked i7.

Now maybe in the future we'll have crazy AR experiences generated by our phones and the processor will be key to delivering that experience but today none of that exists.

So I don't care. Phones today are already really snappy. My phone is is like 4 years old now and while it definitely gets laggy it's usually quick enough. I've used a Note 8 and it's blazing fast. Fast enough for a phone.

A practical application of a 4K screen would be a dope mobile VR headset, problem is the mobile gpus lack the grunt to do much with it, at least from a gaming perspective. Would be an excellent mobile cinema type experience though.

Technically, the phone doesn't need to have a 4K screen to output 4K video to a mobile VR headset.

LordOfChaos

Not 4K, but the 750p on mine is definitely noticeably fuzzy next to a Plus. Some people tell me I'm straight up lying about this lol, but I have a hard time believing anyone with decent vision can't notice the jaggies around icons, notification dots, screen lock icon etc, anything that should have a rounded curve the 750p base iPhone betrays a bit.

Base moving to 900p would be grand at least, though it would have to do the downscaling dance the Plus does. My next iphone will absolutely not be 750p, and I find the Plus unwieldy. Hopefully next year the X becomes the regular?

I'm well aware of the TDP issues G5 had. You're missing the subject, though. Subject is how apple handled the ppc->amd64 tansition in terms of performance. TDP has nothing to do there.

Yeah, I guess I am missing the point. I see the G5 as an architecture that fundamentally misunderstood where the future of computing was going. I do think TDP matters here. The thrust of Jobs' pitch from that WWDC stage was performance per watt.

No. I'm not going to edit video on my phone and I'm a professional video editor lol. I use my phone for web browsing, basic apps watching video, messaging, and the occasional gaming. None of those require an over clocked i7.

Now maybe in the future we'll have crazy AR experiences generated by our phones and the processor will be key to delivering that experience but today none of that exists.

So I don't care. Phones today are already really snappy. My phone is is like 4 years old now and while it definitely gets laggy it's usually quick enough. I've used a Note 8 and it's blazing fast. Fast enough for a phone.

But there was a point where you phone was too slow to do any of the things you use it for now, yes? If we had this conversation 12 years ago, would you have laughed off the idea of web browsing or watching video from your phone?

I think, as a video editor, you might be thinking about editing video on a phone from the wrong perspective. When smartphones got performant enough to efficiently edit photos, we didn't start doing photoshop on our phones, we started using Instagram filters. When phones get the ability to efficiently handle 4K video, we aren't going to be running Premiere on our phones, we are going to be harnessing that power in a way that makes sense on a phone. Computational photography is in it's infancy and computational videography will soon stand beside it.

I've been following tech for over 30 years and the people who have taken the position that X hardware is fast enough have always been proven wrong. Always.

How does this actually affect me though? I don't edit videos or do crazy intensive tasks on my phone.

Foundational tech advancements that everyone on iOS benefits from, such as the new Portrait Lighting mode and Face ID, along with simply more horsepower for professional-grade apps and games. The iPhone 8 CPU also includes silicon dedicated to machine learning algorithms because Apple wants to make Siri smarter with your requests without sending your personal data to a remote server.

Tasks that you may not think are "crazy intensive" are actually crazy intensive, but don't appear so because the CPU has no problem handling them.

JP_

Banned
https://youtu.be/P4aiMadEa74

I'd say it's pretty much a wash so it depends on if you want a wide angle or zoom second lens.

Also 4k60 recording with iPhone if that's your thing.

Lg v30 should have better low light shots but I'm not seeing it.

If the pixel 2xl comes to T-Mobile I'll probably jump to it from the 8+ depending on pricing.

Those v30 colors are gross though? Looks like everything goes through a filter.

a916

All that power and all that RAM... what is Samsung doing to Android that's making it so much more ineffective than iOS? Or is this on Google?

Reading this thread, it's starting to sound like a Qualcomm problem.

DonMigs85

All that power and all that RAM... what is Samsung doing to Android that's making it so much more ineffective than iOS? Or is this on Google?

Reading this thread, it's starting to sound like a Qualcomm problem.
Unfortunately Qualcomm and Mediatek succumbed to the Chinese market's belief that moar cores = more power, which is why you see so many phones with like 8 Cortex A53 cores.

KeRaSh

ITT: I need to edit 4K video on my phone as fast as possible.
Also ITT: Why the fuck would I need a 4K screen on my phone?

thisisneogaf.gif

It's easy to forget that, for many, the phone is their primary computer. Laptops and desktop PCs play second fiddle for the majority of computing tasks that people do. So yes, I can see 4K video recording and management/exporting/editing being something you'd want to do on a phone or tablet.

Changing goalposts and all that.

It's a real misconception when people state that the iPhone's power is wasted when traditionally Apple designs OS features from the top-down, while making sure older models that can't run those features don't get them (e.g. the iPhone 5s, which is still a fast phone, is not getting ARKit for very good reasons).

Likewise there's nothing on Android like Workflow, which is a powerful app that lets iOS users chain together service and API calls to automate nearly any task from a widget or the control centre.

This is why I don't respond to these. There is always something else.

That whole comparison between android and iPhone is such bullshit. Eventually it's not about the hardware but the OS.

All phones are Oké now. I mean you have phones of 300 euro with full HD screens and a fast processor. Most people only use their phone for texting, social media, music, some amateur photograph and that's about it.

Therefor It's about the OS not the hardware. And the OS is purely about taste. They are both blazing fast now and roughly the same apps. What matters is what you like for an OS and how much you are invested in it.

jm89

Looking at a lot of speed comparisons it seems regular app usage note8/s8 and the iphone 8 are the same. Iphone seems to load games better but not by a huge margin. Video editing the iphone dominates don't know if the average user will care about that though.

The benchmarks show the iphone getting twice the performance of the the latest android flagships but it sure as hell doesn't perform that way in real life usage . I feel like we have got to a point now performance is good enough between android and ios.

DavidDesu

I hate iPhone and am perfectly content with my Samsung Galaxy S7. I don't need no frills. Just a decently fast pocket computer phone with a good camera.

I’d like a phone where the keyboard doesn’t freak out on me when I use it for the first time in a while. Got an S7, use the Google Keyboard (which you’d think should be perfect by now), a modern phone with the Android maker's own keyboard running on it and it still has a berky on me quite a lot... I have a lot of hanging on my S7 too. Nothing monumental but its barely over a year old, was the flagship phone at the time of release and it’s simply not as snappy as I’d expect. Something I seem to see new iPhones not suffering from to anything like the same degree. Trying out an SE in an Apple store and the thing is embarrassingly snappy to do everything, so much smoother too.

Hermii

Thats a really niche usecase though, for the vast majority 4K has more downsides than upsides on a phone.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Benchmarks != real world performance, and my phone is plenty fast enough.

4k is worthless on a smartphone as well, rather have better battery life.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
ITT: I need to edit 4K video on my phone as fast as possible.
Also ITT: Why the fuck would I need a 4K screen on my phone?

thisisneogaf.gif

Is this suppose to mean something? Being able to edit video faster (or do tasks) faster improves productivity. Can't say that for pumping screen resolution to 4K

Top Bottom