• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

snap0212

Hey guys,

I have a problem. I just did the downgrade from 3.1 to 3.01 to get back my Tethering. Now I've connected my iPhone but copying the backup data won't work. Probably because the backup was done when I had the Firmware 3.1 on my iPhone. Does anyone know what I can do to get my data back? I didn't have that many numbers and stuff on it but it'd be nice to have it all back. :)

I use a Windows PC, btw. Maybe someone can help me! :)

Hey guys,

I'm at work at the moment so I can't look too in depth if it's been noted already, but is anyone using WhatsApp?

It's like Blackberry Messenger, but for the iPhone..but Blackberry users can use it too. We can all use it too, cross country, so if you want to, we can make a NeoGAF one for future apple events/random GAF chats?

My dad signs me up on a contract with Orange to use the nokia 5800 only for Orange to announce they'll be carrying the iphones before the end of the year.

Fucking brilliant... Now I'm stuck with that POS phone unless I can convince them to upgrade the contract to a different phone.

dyls

Can anyone confirm if each picture is sent as its own MMS? I sent (in one message, supposedly) 3 pictures and some text to my brother. But it comes out on my end looking like 4 different messages, and I believe it showed up that way on my usage. I haven't heard from him if they came as 4 different messages on his phone.

What's the point of being able to text multiple pictures at once and add text and shit if its going to separate it all out anyway? And no one likes getting 4 rapidfire messages. Not to mention I'm on the 200 message plan...

Sean

Banned
So Tweetie 2.0 was just announced/revealed. It's a complete rewrite of the app and adds a load of new features like offline mode, persistence (app will remember exactly where it left off), threaded conversations, draft manager, video support, full landscape, and even push notifications. Despite it adding like a gazillion extra features, the developer still managed to keep the user interface simple.

IMG_0554.PNG

Some links to sneak peeks/previews: http://twitter.com/tweetie/status/4453112786

Blackhead

Redarse
Sean said:
So Tweetie 2.0 was just announced/revealed. It's a complete rewrite of the app and adds a load of new features like offline mode, persistence (app will remember exactly where it left off), threaded conversations, draft manager, video support, full landscape, and even push notifications. Despite it adding like a gazillion extra features, the developer still managed to keep the user interface simple.

IMG_0554.PNG

Some links to sneak peeks/previews: http://twitter.com/tweetie/status/4453112786
What's up with that bar in the middle of the screen?

DMeisterJ

Banned
Anyone else's iPhone acting wonky?

Mine is glitching up a lot today. I couldn't make calls earlier until I shut the phone off, and safari keeps on glitching, when I go to type in a web address the last letter pressed stays displayed on the keyboard like I'm still holding it.

Blackhead

Redarse
StopMakingSense said:
That's like how it is now in 1.0 when you swipe a status, just more options there.
I meant what were all the extra options but I just followed your links.

Is there a way to display the destinations of shortened urls in iphone's safari?

Nexus Zero said:
After hearing about the merger between TMobile and Orange, this blows everything wide open. I'm glad I went with O2 but I'm terrified Orange and Vodafone will offer drastically lower cheaper subscriptions. I haven't exactly been overjoyed with O2's 3G coverage either.

It's a joke to be honest. I WImbledon, London at the local train station; if I am on the stairs I get a 3G signal, if I'm at the end of the platform I don't. It's completely random the times I do get a 3G signal or not.

But saying that, I think my next phone I upgrade to will be a Blackberry, so I might stick with o2 and have a free iPhone handy for when I need to do work emails, etc

Charred Greyface said:
I meant what were all the extra options but I just followed your links.

Is there a way to display the destinations of shortened urls in iphone's safari?

Don't think so. I'm pretty sure the only way to do it is to use API's for the given shortening service (like bit.ly) to call up the source URL and display it.

Meier

Sean said:

IMG_0554.PNG

I just want normal Retweeting and not the via thing... I keep Echofon on my phone as well just to RT. I doubt I'll buy it again unless the impressions are overwhelmingly positive. Tweetie 1.0 works perfect.

Reaper673

Napoleonthechimp said:
My dad signs me up on a contract with Orange to use the nokia 5800 only for Orange to announce they'll be carrying the iphones before the end of the year.

Fucking brilliant... Now I'm stuck with that POS phone unless I can convince them to upgrade the contract to a different phone.

Just so you know, you can cancel your contract without penalty up to 14/28 days (can't remember which) from the date the phone was activated.

Chairman85

Meier said:
I just want normal Retweeting and not the via thing... I keep Echofon on my phone as well just to RT. I doubt I'll buy it again unless the impressions are overwhelmingly positive. Tweetie 1.0 works perfect.
There's a 'hidden' option in Tweetie to enable traditional RT-style ReTweeting. (At least in 1.x)

eznark

Banned
How do I create a new group in my iPhone contacts list? Is it possible? I want to create a group for just sub-contractors and vendors.

Just bought the CNN app. I have to admit, it's pretty slick. There is a cover-flow interface for selecting video stories to watch and a fairly intuitive way to browse and read pertinent articles. However, the push thing is annoying.

Blackhead

Redarse
devildog820 said:
Just bought the CNN app. I have to admit, it's pretty slick. There is a cover-flow interface for selecting video stories to watch and a fairly intuitive way to browse and read pertinent articles. However, the push thing is annoying.
What's the push thing? How does it handle the 'citizen journalist' stories? Is anybody getting paid? Do they give up their copyright?

Hey guys,

I'm at work at the moment so I can't look too in depth if it's been noted already, but is anyone using WhatsApp?

It's like Blackberry Messenger, but for the iPhone..but Blackberry users can use it too. We can all use it too, cross country, so if you want to, we can make a NeoGAF one for future apple events/random GAF chats?

BB doesn't have an app yet. A replacement for BBM would be nice though.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Mecha_Infantry said:
Vodafone own 45% of Verizon
Verizon iPhone imminent! Shit's coming out in 2010 and my 700 dollar full retail purchase of the iPhone 3GS will be completely vindicated!

YOU WILL SEE!!!

painey

so for some reason my ipods top 25 most played is 23 random songs and 2 videos.. its correct on the PC but on the ipod its just nonesense, and when I sync it doesnt update. This is a huge feature for me for playing my fav songs while driving, whats the best way to fix it?

mrkgoo

painey said:
so for some reason my ipods top 25 most played is 23 random songs and 2 videos.. its correct on the PC but on the ipod its just nonesense, and when I sync it doesnt update. This is a huge feature for me for playing my fav songs while driving, whats the best way to fix it?

Common problem with smartlists - current workaround is to disable live updating on smart playlists in iTunes (right click->edit smart playlist, uncjeck live updating). You'll have to manually update some lists by selecting them, or going in to edit them and clicking OK.

Blackhead

Redarse
iPhone/iTouch Virtual Memory

from XSellize via some Chinese forum, weiphone.com
However, this adds a 256mb swap file that automatically increases in size if it's needed, you can background as many apps as you want and there's no performance decrease.
I had Sygic, Beejive, Facebook, TFLN, FMyLife, ipod, mail, phone and was playing bejeweled2, it still showed me with 26mb free.

Installing Matte UI on my 3G used to make it slow and unresponsive, now, it feels perfect

:O

Don't think I need it though as I've never had a memory crash on the 3GS... but this could take multitasking to a whole new level.

Terrell

eznark said:
Serious? There is no way of just doing it in the contacts? The fuck?

Boo Apple, booooo
They're expecting you to have your data synced with a program on your computer, and you make your groups there.

Terrell

RubxQub said:
Verizon iPhone imminent! Shit's coming out in 2010 and my 700 dollar full retail purchase of the iPhone 3GS will be completely vindicated!

YOU WILL SEE!!!
Except that Verizon is a CDMA carrier, Vodafone in the UK is GSM. So your pretty GSM iPhone 3GS that you bought at full price isn't any more useful than it already is. But you were probably just joking anyways.

And a Verizon iPhone isn't happening. If Apple isn't willing to concede to CDMA for the sake of the gigantic Chinese wireless market, what makes you think they would for Americans?
As I said before, it's more likely that the next iPhone is quad-band UMTS so that it can operate on (drumroll) T-Mobile's 3G network in the US, as well as other networks that use the 1700MHz freqency like Canada's up-and-coming Wind Mobile.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Redlaser is a cool little app. Use your phone to scan any standard barcode and the app will return prices (and links to sites) on the net. $1.99 app saved me over $30 just today :D .

Hey folks,

Just picked up my first iPhone (32 3GS) SO PSYCHED! I have one question as of now, is adobe flash coming to the iPhone? Also, what are the must have apps you recommend?

LovingSteam said:
Hey folks,

Just picked up my first iPhone (32 3GS) SO PSYCHED! I have one question as of now, is adobe flash coming to the iPhone? Also, what are the must have apps you recommend?

There's a App Recommendation thread, just give a search. Not sure, but don't think so @ flash.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Terrell said:
Except that Verizon is a CDMA carrier, Vodafone in the UK is GSM. So your pretty GSM iPhone 3GS that you bought at full price isn't any more useful than it already is. But you were probably just joking anyways.
I know that my phone is GSM and I know Verizon is CDMA. I don't have hopes that my 3GS can work on Verizon, I have hopes that by the next iPhone iteration, we may have word that the next iPhone will be dual-band or make both CDMA and GSM models.

Foob

devildog820 said:

can you post some impressions? read some reviews and it sounds like their is some awful ad problem..What is the issue with push?

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
offtopic said:
Redlaser is a cool little app. Use your phone to scan any standard barcode and the app will return prices (and links to sites) on the net. $1.99 app saved me over $30 just today :D .

I've been looking for an app like this. Will check it out right now and buy it. Hopefully I have a barcode near me. LOL

Edit: All right, just tried it out on a CD a co-worker had. Yeah, it's immediate, and goes out and hits google product search without all the filler and Amazon. She said she spent $15 on the CD. Found her a copy of it for $2.83. Nice. I am going to LOVE this little application come the weekend when I do all my shopping.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
HomerSimpson-Man said:
I recently found out my Iphone 3G can't connect to a unbroadcasted wi-fi SSID, is this normal?

No. My home wifi is unbroadcasted, and I connect to it fine. Get it looked at. That's not normal at all.

Alfarif said:
No. My home wifi is unbroadcasted, and I connect to it fine. Get it looked at. That's not normal at all.

Damn, so there is something wrong. Just to be sure it wasn't my home network, I tried it at work, manually typing in our unbroadcasted wi-fi SSID and password, still nothing. I had to get my home network broadcasting just to connect.

Damn, I guess I have to go to the Apple store to get it checked out. The phone is under a year old, so it should still be under Apple's manufacturer warranty.

Sean

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Damn, so there is something wrong. Just to be sure it wasn't my home network, I tried it at work, manually typing in our unbroadcasted wi-fi SSID and password, still nothing. I had to get my home network broadcasting just to connect.

Damn, I guess I have to go to the Apple store to get it checked out. The phone is under a year old, so it should still be under Apple's manufacturer warranty.

Before going to the Apple store try resetting your network settings on the iPhone, it might fix your problem..

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Setting

Blackhead

Redarse
offtopic said:
I've been using the beta avialable for jailbroken phones and wondering when it was going to be released. It requires OS 3.1 though (as do the zipcar and dropbox apps released recently :/ I get the feeling that Gruber is still on 3.0.1; the dude sure loves tethering and I'm pretty sure NetShare isn't working on 3.x)

scorcho said:
trying this on my 3G and it works surprisingly well.
I concur:

2h8607n.png

6xxlzn.png

Can anyone tell me if I can jailbreak my iPhone 3G 3.1? What are pros and cons for that? Does it work like CFW for PSP, in which you later update jailbroken iPhones in pararell with official firmware releases?

I have contacts, sms, etc. on my iPhone, will I lose all of this if I jailbreak?

alterno69

Banned
My wife got an iphone yesterday, i have a doubt tho. She got a 100mb a month plan so i'm wondering what's the average usage if she uses say mostly messenger apps like beejive. Also i'm guessing being idle also uses some bandwidth?

Any experienced users have any idea? Also is there a way to know how much she has used?

tmdorsey

mrkgoo said:
Common problem with smartlists - current workaround is to disable live updating on smart playlists in iTunes (right click->edit smart playlist, uncjeck live updating). You'll have to manually update some lists by selecting them, or going in to edit them and clicking OK.

I think this has been fixed with the 9.0.1 iTunes update.

DarkJC

alterno69 said:
My wife got an iphone yesterday, i have a doubt tho. She got a 100mb a month plan so i'm wondering what's the average usage if she uses say mostly messenger apps like beejive. Also i'm guessing being idle also uses some bandwidth?

Any experienced users have any idea? Also is there a way to know how much she has used?
100mb is pretty light. I consider myself a light to average user and I use approx 200-300 a month on average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom