• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone users driving nearly half of smartphone Web traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.
4AcdR.png

Online advertising network Chitika determined that nearly half of all Web traffic via smartphones is generated by the various versions of the iPhone. The iPhone 5 alone creates 3 percent of the total smartphone usage, while older versions of the device make about 43 percent.

By comparison, Samsung devices make up 17 percent of traffic, with the Korean handset maker's flagship phone, the Galaxy S3, generating 2 percent of total smartphone Web usage.

According to the company's data today, the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3 already surpass the Web traffic from all BlackBerry users, which totals 2 percent. Windows Phone users, meanwhile, make up only 1 percent of online usage.

Here's the breakdown from Chitika:
• iPhone 5: 3 percent
• Other iPhones: 43 percent
• Samsung Galaxy S3: 2 percent
• Other Samsung phones: 15 percent
• Non-Samsung Android: 34 percent
• BlackBerry: 2 percent
• Windows Phone: 1 percent
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57...riving-nearly-half-of-smartphone-web-traffic/

RIM needs to get BB10 out yesterday!

Curious as to why iPhone 5 is counted separately to other IOS devices, and why Samsung devices are separated out from 'other phones' which - despite being overwhelmingly Android - aren't labelled as such. I guess it's to show how iPhone 5 is growing, how the Galaxy S series is doing and so forth...

Another thought is that - as this is an advertising firm providing the data - I imagine most of their data is coming from browser user agents as opposed to apps in most instances. Aren't IOS, Android and other devices all using some variants of Webkit (or maybe IE in the case of WP?)? So what's the usefulness of this data?

I've got to imagine that non-Android Samsung phones aren't particularly high in circulation, nor particularly great drivers of web traffic - so if you assume the Samsung devices are Android and add them to the Samsung figures -- 34 + 15 + 2 = 51%

The IOS phones amount to 45%...

I have to wonder if the data is split this way for a reason.

Mudkips

Banned
Holy hell. I've seen better color distinction in pie charts on monochrome displays.
eey2M.png

Curious as to why iPhone 5 is counted separately to other IOS devices, and why Samsung devices are separated out from 'other phones' which - despite being overwhelmingly Android - aren't labelled as such. I guess it's to show how iPhone 5 is growing, how the Galaxy S series is doing and so forth...

Another thought is that - as this is an advertising firm providing the data - I imagine most of their data is coming from browser user agents as opposed to apps in most instances. Aren't IOS, Android and other devices all using some variants of Webkit (or maybe IE in the case of WP?)? So what's the usefulness of this data?

I've got to imagine that non-Android Samsung phones aren't particularly high in circulation, nor particularly great drivers of web traffic - so if you assume the Samsung devices are Android and add them to the Samsung figures -- 34 + 15 + 2 = 51%

The IOS phones amount to 45%...

I have to wonder if the data is split this way for a reason.

Of course it is. "Android users driving over half of smartphone web traffic" isn't even as good of a headline as "iPhone".

notsol337

marked forever
Holy hell. I've seen better color distinction in pie charts on monochrome displays.
eey2M.png

Of course it is. "Android users driving over half of smartphone web traffic" isn't even as good of a headline as "iPhone".

That chart doesn't say Android. That's counting Windows and Blackberry phones, too. Until they throw them out separately, I don't even care about this chart.

Not surprised. Most Android users in my experience are very casual smartphone users like your mother or elderly relative who doesn't require much web usage, where as iPhone owners are young powerusers and expect to be connected at all times.

Cat Party

Re: the thread title:

"Sounds like Springfield's got a discipline problem."

"Maybe that's why we beat them at football nearly half the time."

A lot of android owners are casuals I would think. They just get it because they're cheap/suit them/whatever. They don't browse the web much at all.

What the hell makes up the other 37% if there is no single phone or company entry there that takes up more than 2% of web traffic?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
That chart doesn't say Android. That's counting Windows and Blackberry phones, too. Until they throw them out separately, I don't even care about this chart.

Read the article, Blackberry and WP only account for 3 percent of that 37%. If you add the Samsungs and the androids together you get 51%.

Guevara

So: Android users drive more than half of smartphone Web traffic

The post titles picked for the same content are hilarious:

iPhone Web Traffic Smokes Samsung Smartphones PC Magazine

Android smartphones now have majority mobile web traffic share VentureBeat

iPhone users driving nearly half of smartphone Web traffic CNET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom