• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iranian refugee killed,set on fire called police 85 times to report violent threats

I live in Bristol. I'd say it's equally mixed when it comes to race. Of course, as per the norm, there are some areas where one race is prominent than others, but you get that everywhere.
The dude lived in Bristol, too. If it's equally mixed, then how did the neighbours continue a racist harassment campaign of this guy for so long? And then egg on the pedophilia scare? The police specifically didn't want to deal with him. Neighbours burned his previous house.

When a call handler told beat manager Duffy that Ebrahimi wanted to speak to him, he replied: “I’ve no intentions of taking any calls from Bijan Ebrahimi… I will speak to him at my convenience.”

Ebrahimi had been forced to leave a previous address because neighbour wrongly believed him to be a paedophile and his home was set on fire.​

From top to bottom, he was failed.

Symphonia

Banned
The dude lived in Bristol, too. If it's equally mixed, then how did the neighbours continue a racist harassment campaign of this guy for so long? And then egg on the pedophilia scare? The police specifically didn't want to deal with him. Neighbours burned his previous house.

From top to bottom, he was failed.
That's a ridicilous arguement. People of colour are killed in Birmingham every day, and that's quite possibly the most diverse city in England. You get racism everywhere you go - Bristol, Birmingham, Coventry, London, Manchester, Liverpool, etc. And the police failing a victim is not a new thing.

Auctopus

That's horrific. Avon and Somerset must be racist holes. Are they predominantly white areas?

Huh? Is this hyperbolic sarcasm?

I live in Hampshire which is predominantely White, it doesn't make an entire county racist assholes. Plus, Bristol is in Somerset and it has a good history of social rights and racial integration.

It took him dying for the police to do something. It's too late.
I know, I know but there are plenty of countries where those involved wouldn't be held accountable. This was a drastic failure of our systems of care however we have the processes and the means of realising this mistake and hopefully making sure it doesn't happen again.

Kyoufu

Damn, that's fucked up. I would rather live in Iran (or anywhere else) instead of dealing with dangerous, threatening and abusive neighbours like that. It's sickening that the police didn't do their damn jobs. Terrifying.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The authorities failed Ebrahimi and it ended up costing him his life after years of living in constant fear and wrongful accusations. No one will take responsibility but I hope each officer he attempted to speak to has endless nightmares for their living years about this now.

I can't comment on Ebrahimi's circumstances or financial conditions but I would have personally moved out of there long ago, after year 1 I would have realized the fucking authorities aren't going to do anything and my safety is in my own hands.

Ridiculous .. sad .. extremely enraging .. I can't quite put the emotions this news is instilling in me the more I read it ... compounded by someone mentioning the pregnant woman who had a miscarriage because some racist cunt kicked her in her belly ... the UK needs to fucking step up.

I'm glad that so many players in this were punished.

I am still horrified it happened in the first place, but compared to what we see happening in the US, that many lost jobs and some even were convicted over this... that's depressingly refreshing.

Condom

Honestly I don't think most western police forces are well trained for combatting discrimination. Part of this is a total lack of educated professionals being reigned in to co-produce a combat plan with the police or other investigative institutions.

Part of it might just be a lack or budget though, some have tried.

The authorities failed Ebrahimi and it ended up costing him his life after years of living in constant fear and wrongful accusations. No one will take responsibility but I hope each officer he attempted to speak to has endless nightmares for their living years about this now.

I can't comment on Ebrahimi's circumstances or financial conditions but I would have personally moved out of there long ago, after year 1 I would have realized the fucking authorities aren't going to do anything and my safety is in my own hands.

Ridiculous .. sad .. extremely enraging .. I can't quite put the emotions this news is instilling in me the more I read it ... compounded by someone mentioning the pregnant woman who had a miscarriage because some racist cunt kicked her in her belly ... the UK needs to fucking step up.
It was awful and the Police failed badly. But there were two sent to prison, several job losses and a IPCC inquiry which severely criticised the Avon and Somerset Police. It's not as if there was no punishment and no accepting of guilt or responsibility. As such this will act as a stern warning to other Police Forces to be vigilant.
Also he was a refugee. His freedom of movement was severely restricted. Did you read the article?

Rush_Khan

Came in thinking this was US. Absolutely shameful. Not surprised, though. With all these cuts and salary caps, police have definitely become more scummy.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It was awful and the Police failed badly. But there were two sent to prison, several job losses and a IPCC inquiry which severely criticised the Avon and Somerset Police. It's not as if there was no punishment and no accepting of guilt or responsibility. As such this will act as a stern warning to other Police Forces to be vigilant.
Also he was a refugee. His freedom of movement was severely restricted. Did you read the article?

I read the OP and it made me really furious, reading any more would have frustrated me more. Probably my bad but I could only take that much.

Why must deaths cause accountability? It's just sad.

Top Bottom