• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iraqi-American Sells House, Deposits Check at Bank, Gets Arrested

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Did you folks not look at the picture in the link, this is an incredibly bland non threatening looking family right down to the bookish kid with glasses, that I needed an /s to denote sarcasm is depressing. What do you think my use of ... meant anyway. Good gravy.

Ok

There are actual racists and death squad supporters on NeoGAF. So yes, a /s is absolutely necessary.

darklin0

Banned
m6od8Nd.jpg

That banks go to method of conduct. ^

Dude has all the documents to back up his check, and they still call the police.

No way this isn't racism. The thought of them doing this to a non-hobo looking white person makes me laugh because no way would that happen.

I bet a dirty old homeless white man would have no problem doing what he did.

Emprise Bank issued the following statement:

".. We are aware of a situation at the 21st and Woodlawn branch yesterday and can confirm that our team acted in accordance with our policies and procedures. If faced with the same circumstances today, we would expect our team to take the same actions."

Well if that's true the bank should be shut down.

Aselith

Any transaction over $10K has different procedures. The guy says he had all the documentation which he provided the bank. Well then why did they reach the wrong bank and suspect the check was a forgery? More than likely the bankers had no idea his wife and daughter were even waiting outside or wearing headscarves because according to the report, this all happened in 5 minutes. The more I look at it, the more it seems like it was a misunderstanding and they were all honest people trying to do the right thing. Even the police handled it well imo.

Yeah, it's standard procedure to call in 15 cars for check fraud. Good call. That's why every police force has 10,000 officers to cover all the fraud cases.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Honestly I’ve never heard of a house purchase or sale ending with a check. In my experience it’s a wire transfer because my banks policy would throw up a red flag too.

I’m not disputing how awful this is but I am surprised a check was an option.

kyser73

Honestly I’ve never heard of a house purchase or sale ending with a check. In my experience it’s a wire transfer because my banks policy would throw up a red flag too.

Came here to say exactly the same thing.

Primitive banking system, primitive bank at all levels.

Culex

Banned

It's very common. Yes, a wire is more efficient, but due to the emergence of wire transfer fraud, many of our closing attorneys still will cut a check from the IOLTA.

Wilsongt

Then you probably know exactly (and more than) what I'm talking about. You weren't there and you've only heard one side of the story where they state things started to go downhill. That can mean a lot of things. I assume this is an unusual transaction even for someone like you who's been working in banking for 10 years. Most of the time these types of transactions are handled electronically. It could have very easily been you that was in a situation like this where you reported the transaction to your supervisor and things quickly escalated into the customer being arrested.

Edit - I just watched the video from the link in the OP. It sounds like the bank screwed up and called Idaho instead of Michigan and that the police were called because of forgery. So if that's all there is to the story, the bank did screw up but it wasn't racial profiling. I assume there must have been a reason they called Idaho instead of Michigan because they said the police detectives were able to find the right bank in Michigan and verify the check was legitimate. My point is that there's more to the story behind the scenes than what's being told.

Yatzee!

Wilsongt

Is this implying what I think it's implying?

If so, what the fuck

No. the bank fucked up and this is clearly some racist shit going on, but I am sure there is someone out there who will defend the bank and go "you only heard one side" or "let's wait for all the details first"

Sunster

if you are brown you are not American until proven otherwise.

Honestly I've never heard of a house purchase or sale ending with a check. In my experience it's a wire transfer because my banks policy would throw up a red flag too.

I'm not disputing how awful this is but I am surprised a check was an option.

but the bank called the police instead of using their own resources to verify the authenticity. then the police arrested his entire family. If I went to the bank tomorrow with a check for $200,000 but lacking necessary documents I'm not going to walk out in handcuffs. because I'm white.

dohdough

Any transaction over $10K has different procedures. The guy says he had all the documentation which he provided the bank. Well then why did they reach the wrong bank and suspect the check was a forgery? More than likely the bankers had no idea his wife and daughter were even waiting outside or wearing headscarves because according to the report, this all happened in 5 minutes. The more I look at it, the more it seems like it was a misunderstanding and they were all honest people trying to do the right thing. Even the police handled it well imo.

Did you google that $10k thing or what? Cause it's $10k in CASH. And even then, you fill out a form, hand over the cash for a count, and you're on your way. If you're a regular at the bank that makes those cash transactions in those amounts, you don't even need to fill out a form once your first is on file.

The only possible misunderstanding is if the guy literally asked the teller to hold the check, but even the most green teller would ask another teller for advice, of which would be to say that the customer can deposit it in an account or put it in a safety deposit box, or more than likely try to sell a financial product.

As a teller in a former life, someone asked to close out a $90k account and no one batted an eye. If someone wanted to cash a $150k check, we'd do the proper security checks and hand it over as long as we had enough in the vault. Hell, as an office manager, I used to make $200k+ deposits and no one ever thought it was suspicious.

The cops were practically useless in this case because even a bounced check wouldn't result in an entire family being detained, one of which was in another fucking state. It isn't the cops' job to verify the check, it's the freaking bank. The cops shouldn't have even gotten involved at all, muchless 15 squad cars.

This story really chaffs me more than usual because even a teller on day one of the job would know what to do in this situation: deposit the freaking check and let the back of the house handle it. It's obvious that there was racial profiling going on.

I've never seen anyone receive a check from the sale of a home. But I've seen people ask for cashier's checks of 40k+ to pay for the closing of a home. Most do wires, but some don't care for the fee.
I wouldn't be surprised to Emprise bank freak out and call the cops over that, too.

I've sold three houses in the USA so far, they all end in checks. Checks for realtors, checks for mortgage holders, checks for the lawyers, and if there's something left over, checks for the sellers. My last sale ended in a 70k+ check, no one gave a shit when I deposited it. Fuck that bank.

Iztli

Man Goes To Jail for Cashing Chase Check at Chase Bank

As KING 5 reported this week, 28-year-old Ikenna Njoku went to a Chase Bank inside a Fred Meyer in Auburn on June 24 of last year with a $8,463.21 tax-refund check. This check was actually issued by Chase itself, as it had been deposited in Njoku's closed Chase account by the government and had fees deducted by the bank for past overdrafts. Finally the difference was mailed to him in the form of a bank-issued cashier's check.

So Njoku apparently went into the bank to cash this check, and the teller immediately became suspicious of him. She supposedly started asking things like what he did for a living and where he got the check, and ”looking [him] up and down."

The teller was so suspicious, in fact, that she refused to cash the check and instead had it held. Njoku eventually got frustrated and left the bank, then he called a customer-service agent who told him to come back the following day to get his money.

But when he showed up at the bank the next day, the police were waiting, and he was quickly arrested for a felony charge of trying to cash a forged check.

The check wasn't forged, of course, but nonetheless Njoku was taken to jail.

Chase Bank Is Finally Very Sorry For Having Man Thrown In Jail For No Reason (UPDATE)

This type of thing happens a lot apparently.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
The next day–a Friday–Chase apparently realized it had made a big mistake and had someone put a call in to the Auburn Police detective handling the case. But the detective was off that day and didn’t get the message until Monday morning.

The agent never bothered to call anyone else at the police station.

So for four nights and five days total, Njoku stayed in jail. His car was towed and impounded. And he was fired from his job for not coming in.

When he finally got out, Chase still wouldn’t give him his check immediately, which he needed to cover things like the impound and tow fees that his car had racked up. So when he couldn’t afford to get the car from the impound lot, it was auctioned off.

Holy shit.

Luigiv

This is fucked up. As an Iraqi immigrant in a western country myself, this makes my blood boil. I don't know why anyone would willingly immigrate to middle America.

televator

".. We are aware of a situation at the 21st and Woodlawn branch yesterday and can confirm that our team acted in accordance with our policies and procedures. If faced with the same circumstances today, we would expect our team to take the same actions."

So long as they ain't white, of course...

SilentRob

You'd think the random incarceration of American families because of how they look would be enough for country-wide protests.But, eh. Way easiert sitting at home applauding millionairs for kneeling during the national anthem on social media.

No way this isn't racism. The thought of them doing this to a non-hobo looking white person makes me laugh because no way would that happen.

Nah. Im white as hell, and got put through the ringer on a 15k personal check when I was younger. Called the others persons bank, tried to call them, had the bank manager come down and grill me about it, and finally called a police officer to give me the third degree as well before they finally let me deposit it. Was fucking stupid, I cant imagine what they would have done to me for one that huge at the time.

nampad

I thought this was at least because of anti money laundering/terrorism financing concerns but this is actually worse.

Nah. Im white as hell, and got put through the ringer on a 15k personal check when I was younger. Called the others persons bank, tried to call them, had the bank manager come down and grill me about it, and finally called a police officer to give me the third degree as well before they finally let me deposit it. Was fucking stupid, I cant imagine what they would have done to me for one that huge at the time.
Yeah their jobs are on the line if that's fraud.
The police thing was a bit unnecessary.

Apathy

Wow that statement from the bank, wtf. That makes no sense when he had everything in order. This family has such a good case against this bank now

This happened right across the street from where I work. As someone who worked at a bank previously that is a ridiculous reaction, and I'm glad I don't bank with Emprise.

Unfortunately since it's Wichita, most of the comments on the local articles see nothing wrong with what they did. Got to love Kansas.

Baki

Source:
http://www.kake.com/story/36316591/wichita-family-arrested-making-bank-deposit

Guy does perfectly normal thing. He is an American citizen. His family is American citizens. But, they're also ethnically Persian. So bank immediately calls the cops because it "must" be a forgery.

Never mind that they had all his information. Never mind that the source of funds was easily verifiable. Never mind that he wasn't even trying to cash out a single cent (since he figured there would be a hold on a check that big).

Fuck Emprise bank. Add to the list of banks I or any connected persons will use.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
if you are brown you are not American until proven otherwise.

but the bank called the police instead of using their own resources to verify the authenticity. then the police arrested his entire family. If I went to the bank tomorrow with a check for $200,000 but lacking necessary documents I'm not going to walk out in handcuffs. because I'm white.

I’m not in any way suggesting he wasn’t treated abominably I’m just genuinely amazed a house sale can end ina check.

Just saying... Not everything that happens to non white people in America is about racism. The fact that it's being presented as such is an indication, at least in my mind, that y'all need to let go of your baggage and move on.
That goes to all Americans.

Top Bottom