• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Brigade PC confirmed - August 13th

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Same, and with GFWL it will probably remain the only DF game I *won't* own.

Not that I'm particularly happy or proud of it, but I have to mediate between my appeal for the game, my dislike for Microsoft's service and my stance to boycott it every time I can, and Iron Brigade just isn't appealing enough to make me overlook the last two points.
The boycott only hurts Double Fine, because MS is going to stuff their platform down gamers' throats whether they want it or not.

The boycott only hurts Double Fine, because MS is going to stuff their platform down gamers' throats whether they want it or not.

The GfWL platform hate is most likely one of the reasons that MS and Capcom are almost the only supporters of it. Reacting and protesting does change things. If it didn´t, then we would still be buying games with Starforce.

It´s unfortunate that this will affect DF, but they need this message as well to. With their new PC focus, they need to know the feelings about GfWL for their future titles.

Aaron

The GfWL platform hate is most likely one of the reasons that MS and Capcom are almost the only supporters of it. Reacting and protesting does change things. If it didn´t, then we would still be buying games with Starforce.

It´s unfortunate that this will affect DF, but they need this message as well to. With their new PC focus, they need to know the feelings about GfWL for their future titles.
So you're punishing Double Fine for a choice they weren't the ones to make? Because I'm sure in the future they'll not make it again. They need publishers, and aren't in a position to turn up their noses at Microsoft.

Ceebs

So you're punishing Double Fine for a choice they weren't the ones to make? Because I'm sure in the future they'll not make it again. They need publishers, and aren't in a position to turn up their noses at Microsoft.

Punishment and Rewarding are stupid to even bring up. They are a business selling you a product. Do not try to humanize it.

People can like the personalities there or their products, but from a dollars and cents point of view if you do not like an aspect of the product you do not buy it.

Saying that I punish them is seeing it from the wrong side. They as a developer are the ones with the responsibility to put out an attractive product. That I understand that they choosed to go with MS for this title doesn´t mean that I will support the title.

I do am great supporter of them, wiith a $100 pledge for DFA, a day 1 purchase of Brütal Legend and 4 bought copies of Psychonauts during the years, but I´m not a customer that buys anything just for the sake of it, but it doesn't mean that I'm prepared to accept everything just because they are Double Fine.

Nabs

This was supposed to be out today right? Any idea when that is?

$11.99 http://store.steampowered.com/app/115120/

header.jpg

HoosTrax

Curious to hear how good of a port this is. Options. Controls. etc

Need something to scratch that Mechwarrior itch, but I need some good feedback and impressions to counter the GFWL distaste.

Keasar

Bought it immediatly, started it up, first thing I see, Games For Windows LiFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU~!

Gilby

I wish there was a demo, I'd really like to know if my craptop can run this, but I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

Celegus

Given the insane amount of Dawn of War 2 I played, I think I'm pretty used to/immune to GFWL's terribleness. I don't know much about this game yet, but I do love me some tower defense!

HoosTrax

Game is NOT locked at 30fps, to whoever said that. When you are on the ship it is, but on the battlefield it's not locked.
I vaguely remember that someone thought they had gotten Costume Quest or some other DF game unlocked, but it turned out that the game was really rendering every other frame twice.

derFeef

I vaguely remember that someone thought they had gotten Costume Quest or some other DF game unlocked, but it turned out that the game was really rendering every other frame twice.

Hm, how can I find that out, could be. (not that it's super important to me, anyway).

HoosTrax

Hm, how can I find that out, could be. (not that it's super important to me, anyway).
My bad, the game was actually Stacking, not CQ, and the thread related to the frames, along with how the guy figured out that it's really 30fps rendered twice is here.

I did remember thinking something was visually off about Stacking, especially when I did quick turns, despite the fact that EVGA Precision was reporting 60fps steady.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Someone be a trooper and start up a four pack ]:

I would host one, but since I'm from Brazil, I can't Gift or be gifted money. If I host, people would have to pay the Paypal tax.

I don't mind paying for it, but it just means I can't be the host...

Edit: nevermind, I bought it. Double fine deserves the extra 1.50 i'd save.

derFeef

My bad, the game was actually Stacking, not CQ, and the thread related to the frames, along with how the guy figured out that it's really 30fps rendered twice is here.

I did remember thinking something was visually off about Stacking, especially when I did quick turns, despite the fact that EVGA Precision was reporting 60fps steady.

Well if it's the same engine then it's a safe bet it also has this. My bad, then.

HoosTrax

Well if it's the same engine then it's a safe bet it also has this. My bad, then.
Np, I'm hoping that they're able to hack their Buddha engine that they use in all of these games, to get it to where we're able to enjoy the games properly. I'm still kind of interested in the game regardless.

Ceebs

Load up game...spend 20 minutes getting GFWL to work. Yep, as expected.

After that it seems like smooth sailing though. Game seems pretty fun, but waiting on my co-op buddies for tonight.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm "Rain One" on Live. Call me up if you want to play. There doesn't seem to be much people online yet.

Edit: Online seems busted to me. The moment somebody joins in, I kinda "reload" the lobby and the other player is player one and I'm player 2. On the chat, everything I type shows up as their text and vice versa.

Oh GFWL, you so funny.

Edit 2: Oh what the fuck. I couldn't get a game going, so I quit and went back in and it gave me a different Mobile Trench and different soldier configuration than the ones I had earlier! This seems to be hella busted.

FACE

Banned
All GFWL games I own(Dirt 2 and 3, DoW2 and FO 3) started crashing at startup since an update, sorry Double Fine. :(

I've been dieing to get this on the PC, but I think I'll hold off for a little while until the framerate situation gets worked out.

I just finished Stacking and it was not a pleasant playing that game with such a low framerate. The stopmotion type animation they used in combination with a low framerate kinda gave me a headache if I played too long. :(

Ceebs

The game is fun, but holy shit GFWL is an abomination.

Can't even get through a map in co-op without connection problems out the ass. Also getting version incompatibilities, and other random nonsense.

It's pretty much unplayable co-op atm for my group.

I will but this for sure this weekend. I have a pretty standard, buy all Double Fine games that I possibly can rule. Now, they just need to release Brutal Legend for PC. I fucking loved Brutal Legend, the world they created for that was so damn original and full of charm. Loved that game. Also, when is LucasArts gonna give Grim Fandango to Double Fine? It needs to happen already. It's criminal how LA have abandoned that game.

derFeef

Game is as much fun on PC as on xbox, but shouldn't Rise of the Martian Bear be included? I can't seem to select the endless thing.

Game is as much fun on PC as on xbox, but shouldn't Rise of the Martian Bear be included? I can't seem to select the endless thing.

Rise of the Martian Bear is included--it continues the campaign, so you'll get access to its campaign after completing the main one.

derFeef

Rise of the Martian Bear is included--it continues the campaign, so you'll get access to its campaign after completing the main one.

Hm ok must have been that way then because I already had it finished on the xbox. Though it's weird that I can't play the endless thing now for testing weapons and stuff, would have been nice.
edit: surprised some friends with it after buying a 4 pack, all having a blast!

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
The game is fun, but holy shit GFWL is an abomination.

Can't even get through a map in co-op without connection problems out the ass. Also getting version incompatibilities, and other random nonsense.

It's pretty much unplayable co-op atm for my group.

I was checking out the Double Fine forum and apparently, they're working on a fix for the multiplayer, which is kind of broken since people can't play the game without connection issues every 5 seconds. So it's not an isolated case. The coop is pretty much terrible at this point so you'll just have to wait for a patch. Bummer.

Ceebs

The other main problem was that it was doing the same crap Xbox Live was doing back when I still owned an Xbox. It would always choose me to host despite having the worst connection in the group. I have DSL, I should never be hosting anything.

Asuma01

Neo Member
This game works awesome and matchmaking is fast. Yet the TF2 Mann vs machine update takes 18 min. to get a game going. Who has the shitty service now?

derFeef

So should I buy this while it's discounted, or is it a horrible broken mess?

You can have tons of fun in singleplayer alone, while your experience in coop may vary. It works fine for me and friends but seems busted to others.
I say you can't go wrong with this price.

Man, I have to say that I am really regretting picking this game up.

After already having played Orcs Must Die 1+2 and Toy Soldiers, I was incredibly excited for this game. I am a huge fan behind the concept of these games. Merging action gameplay with a tower defense strategy element is one of my favorite genre combos. It fixes the boredom of just placing traps, and it forces you to think more than your typical action game. So far the single player in Iron Brigade is the worst out of all of this type of game I've played (at least in terms of single player). :(

a. You only get to choose a maximum of different 4 weapon emplacements (traps) per level and that's only if you choose the weakest Mech with the least amount of fire power. To make this worse you are limited even more by only being allowed to bring a limited amount of categories of traps with you ON TOP OF THAT! Don't have a slot to carry a mortar/heavy weapon emplacement? Too bad, choose a mech that does.

b. Having to manually collect the scrap (money to spend on traps) is a hassle even with the magnet to suck them toward you (there is a special trap that sucks them in for you, but that takes up one of your few slots). The scrap itself are actually physical objects that explode from enemies and can become stuck behind buildings or drop into pits. Worse still, they disappear after a short amount of time meaning you need to be at two places at once to get it all (almost like it was made with co-op as the focus, hmm).

c. You get so little scrap every wave that I rarely feel like I'm able to cover all the spots I want too. Another obvious clue the game designed around co-op is that there are usually 4 or so points where the enemy will spawn from. Having more than one person would be invaluable for covering all the sides of the maps and collect all the scrap. In single player I always feel like I'm getting swamped and I don't know where enemies will come next so I might put traps on one route only to have another route start spouting enemies. Not to mention the multiple enemy types that actively destroy your emplacements, which is bullcrap and not easy to defend against (unless you have the perfect combo of traps and lots of scrap to buy them all with)

d. At first I liked the idea of the games loot system, but the more I've played the less I'm liking it. I feel like my current weapons and traps are all far too weak and if they were more powerful I'd be having more fun. A good loot system makes sure that you're enjoying yourself with you current weapons which makes finding better weapons even better. In this game all I feel is relief when I get a gun or trap that doesn't suck as bad.

e. I only had this problem on the last map I played, but halfway through a mission I had to start defending a different objective (a big cannon) and for some reason my machine gun traps would not shoot at the enemies. They just sat there and did nothing. I was probably a bug, but it was one that failed the mission for me and made me not want to play the game again.

So yeah, overall I am very disappointed with Iron Brigade so far. Hopefully with better loot (like a medium mech chassis that lets me bring a support, light, and heavy gun) I'll start enjoying the game a bit better, but I don't think it will fix a lot of the issues I've had with this game so far. Compared to OMD!1+2, and Toy Soldiers this game just doesn't feel like it was built well for a single player experience.

ArjanN

This game is really geared towards coop I think.
You will never have that jack of all trades Mech.

I think it's more that you have to adapt/specialize your loadout for each mission.

The game scales to the number of players so in co-op there will just be a lot more enemies.

Firebrand

Played some co-op. Fun! A bit difficult to get enough scrap for the stuff I want to build, upgrading rarely happened. I wish there was more time between waves to run after scraps and build. Only technical issues I've encountered is losing control of my guy if I go into the Live overlay while in a menu in the game, and the game seems to hang for a little while after shutting down, preventing Steam from closing.

Also, my trigger buttons are now squeaking after a session of intense analogue saluting.

Played some co-op. Fun! A bit difficult to get enough scrap for the stuff I want to build, upgrading rarely happened. I wish there was more time between waves to run after scraps and build. Only technical issues I've encountered is losing control of my guy if I go into the Live overlay while in a menu in the game, and the game seems to hang for a little while after shutting down, preventing Steam from closing.

Also, my trigger buttons are now squeaking after a session of intense analogue saluting.

According to the game's Steam forum, Double Fine are aware of that bug that causes the player to lose control of their character and are working on a fix.

Top Bottom