• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 1080p accessible thru component?

dark10x said:
I can, and it says that they did...

Picture of 1080p input connected via D-terminal - this is the description of the second picture

They discuss this even more in the article stating that 1080p via HDMI appeared "sharper" than 1080p via D-terminal.

These tests were conducted on a Sony KDL-40X2500. Of course, that is a Japanese model, so it is entirely possible that the US model functions a tad differently.

Even when displayed at 1080p via the ANALOG D-terminal, it was more than pretty enough, however, in comparison, we felt that HDMI 1.3a was sharper.

D端子 basically IS component.

The reason why HDMI looks sharper at same resolution than D-terminal is because D-terminal carries component signal, which is a compression of RGB (reduced resolution for blues and reds). It being analog probably has not much to do with it. A D-Sub connection for instance would just as good theoretically.

Manmademan said:
I know the samsungs are 1080p native over component, they don't upscale. There were one or two "off brands" that claimed 1080p over component, but only accepted 1080i then upscaled it. a little deceptive, but what can you do.

I was looking to see which models those were, but can't seem to find them.
those were mostly early 1080p sets (like mine, a 50 inch sony sxrd made november 05). basically they argued that there was no 1080p content but a 1080p set made 1080i look great, which it does, and in the case of 1080i films, you end up with essentially a 1080p film. the same is true of a game that's 30fps, but if it's 60fps, you need a set that can take a true 1080p signal.

now that there's blu-ray players and hd-dvd players and ps3s and stuff that do output in 1080p sets like that aren't really being manufactured anymore, though you might still run into them in stores.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Shogmaster said:
The reason why HDMI looks sharper at same resolution than D-terminal is because D-terminal carries component signal, which is a compression of RGB (reduced resolution for blues and reds). It being analog probably has not much to do with it. A D-Sub connection for instance would just as good theoretically.
Yes, but I was responding to the post that claimed that it was a digital connection. That's all. :)

Kai Ozu

42343ch8.png

mm04

My Sharp Aquos absolutely accepts 1080p over component. I play all my games on the X360 scaled up to 1080p via the Ana chip.

mm04

Top Bottom