• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 30FPS still the future on consoles?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think that Bloodborne is the best Souls game, yet I could never finish it because of the 30fps induced headaches.
Also on PC, most people would gladly lower resolution/settings rather than play at 30fps.
How can console players tolerate such mediocrity, I'll never understand, though things are changing I believe.
give it another chance. Maybe play 1 hour one day and make a break.
You can get used to 30fps rather quickly. I only need few minutes.
And bloodborne, while it is stuttering a bit, I never found the micro stutters too noticeable.
On a plus note - bloodborne is one of most responsive 30fps games

Consoles aren't being made for performance first, that would have to change during the development process for us to ever see console hardware have an equal match between performance and graphics.

Freeman76

Not if gamers vote with their wallets....

Which they won't, little fiends can't control their impulses, and the publishers know that.

If people didnt buy this 30fps crap they wouldnt try and get away with it.

Blame gamers man

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
60 FPS is better in every way but I'm not gonna skip good game because it runs 30FPS, I can still fully enjoy games that runs 30FPS.

I have no interest in Redfall because I have no interest in online games not because it runs and 30FPS.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

It all just depends on what happens with game development. If there is no advancement and you are still playing games that could run 30fps on the Jaguar cores of last-gen, then sure 60fps will always be there. If much more demanding techniques are stressing the CPUs then you will see some 30fps games. This almost always comes down to the CPU, where lowering the resolution doesn't grant you much in per frame headroom.

Of course, I would love to always see 60fps options on console for the duration, but time has shown that it is quite difficult to do that with what will be very aged hardware by the end of the generation. We'll see, hopefully I'm wrong, but I think there is going to be some hilarious quotes to pull from in the very near future.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I also don't know why people are saying 30 fps will likely be the future when Final fantasy 16 is a current gen only game that looks good and will be 60 fps out the door.

Devs don't have to make 30 fps games.
Nah, I can't agree with you there. It looks partly good and partly like an older game.

Spyxos

Gold Member
yes, 30fps is the future, 60fps modes will get uglier and uglier as the generation goes on and people want pretty
Many of the games are already 1080p 60Fps on Ps5/XSX. It will have to go further down with the resolution for the 60 fps.

RickMasters

Let’s be honest the only reason we have been getting 120FPS modes is because these console have been running optimised versions of games that run on last gen hardware. I expect to 60FPS to still be a thing but 30FPS will be far more common in single player games, as devs drop lastvgen and push current gen harder.

I don’t mind 30FPS as long as it’s butter smooth and has a lil motion blur. But I’ll only forgive it with RPGs in this day age. Can’t play fast paced action at anything less than 60. They have made it somewhat the norm for FPS and racing games and even certain single player action games.

nobody needs 60FPS turn based Open world RPGs though. But all the same 60FPS should be the norm in 2023 on console games at this point with just a few exceptions

Devs keep pushing 30 fps because the data tells them that console gamers want better visuals over performance. That is just the sad truth and as we progress we will see games keep pushing for better visuals over performance just like previous generations.

Getting games to run at 4k is still a huge tax for consoles.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

For the people that dont upgrade to PC or the inevitable pro consoles, yes. It absolutely is. The series S owners are already there and need some company.

Last edited:

Tarnpanzer

If you are really averse to 30fps, dont get a console.
Build yourself a "cheap" gaming PC and know how to use the settings menu.
30fps is going to be a thing.

This.

Another argument for PC-gaming is retro gaming. Even with a toaster PC you can play old games in decent quality with 60fps. Most of them never received a 60fps patch or re-release on consoles.

Rush2112

Banned
At least Sony tries to keep their few exclusives running smooth. Xbox be like "yeah Redfall is going to gamepass anyway, Fuck it."

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I think because pc gaming got so expensive, people would like consoles to "replace" them.
to that I say "f off" and leave console gaming alone
PC gaming isn't all that expensive, you can get away with a last gen mid-high end AMD card and a last gen ryzen these days

People just have bare minimum standards which Redfall can't seem to meet. Why they haven't tried to cancel the project yet is beyond me

Ivan

I actually think the future of consoles with frame generation one day would be 60 standard and up to 120 in performance mode. When pro versions come out and after that.

Frame generation just became a thing, a few more iterations and development and it will get there, maybe even Sony will have it's own solution, who knows. Latency penalty will surely just go down.

Relative to pc hardware, I think current gen consoles are performing pretty good.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Funny because most games do have a 30 fps mode. Guess what they don't look any better. 30 fps isn't going to give you any giant leaps over 60.
how much worse does performance mode really look for people to start justifying playing at 30 over 60...?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
people only tolerate zelda, because it has to run on a stone tablet. the game would be glorious at higher res/framerate.

the most “powafull” console running an “ok at best” looking fps at 30 is another level of fail. stop the damage control on microsoft behalf
Maybe I’m old, but 30FPS doesn’t really bother me. Spent my whole life playing 30FPS and it was good enough.

Shtef

Maybe I’m old, but 30FPS doesn’t really bother me. Spent my whole life playing 30FPS and it was good enough.
I am opposite, I used to play games that went below 30 fps, PAL version of ocarina of times was below 20 fps.
Now I have high refresh monitor and I got used to 155 hz gaming and anything less then 60fps on xbox I will not touch at all. It can be the greatest game in the world but if its 30 fps I will not buy it.

aries_71

I'm afraid, yes. The art of optimization is long lost, and it's just easier to brute force things. That's the reason we will have a new generation of PRO consoles soon. So we can brute force things instead of spending months optimizing at a low level code anything. It's a classical solution: when you precision sucks, just drop a bigger bomb.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm afraid, yes. The art of optimization is long lost, and it's just easier to brute force things. That's the reason we will have a new generation of PRO consoles soon. So we can brute force things instead of spending months optimizing at a low level code anything. It's a classical solution: when you precision sucks, just drop a bigger bomb.

Most games have performance modes so no, "the art of optimization" is not lost at all. Some are just better at it than others.

Esppiral

Most games have performance modes so no, "the art of optimization" is not lost at all. Some are just better at it than others.
The fact that games have 60 fps modes doesn't mean they are optimized, it been too long since optimization means cutting back things

PeteBull

how much worse does performance mode really look for people to start justifying playing at 30 over 60...?
If u mean stable 60 vs stable 30, it always depends on particular game, for stuff like turn based rpg/stategies and other games that dont require fast reaction time, 30fps is fine-ish- aka ofc u would love 60 but u will be ok with 30.
Its whole different story for stuff that is action based/requires any kind of skill, there majority ppl will instinctively chose 60 over 30 no matter downgrade in visuals(which usually means roughly half the pixel count + no rt/worse shadows and maybe some cpu intensive settings, like less npcs/cars on the roads and such.

I bet we will get 60fps bloodborne someday, and i say it as a guy who beat it and spent over 160h in it- benefit of 60fps/remaster/remake will be humongous, maybe not as big as demons souls remaster(coz ps3 demons souls experienced prolonged dips into teens ;p) but it will be very welcome by every1 :)

there is this even, ffs =D

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Funny because most games do have a 30 fps mode. Guess what they don't look any better. 30 fps isn't going to give you any giant leaps over 60.
Not automatically, but with the right developers, the right engine and a good budget, a game studio can make a much better looking game at 30fps

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Damn bro, it must suck to have such high standards you can no longer enjoy the beauty of an awesome looking game.
I"ll pray for you though.

I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but I don't see anything special there.
tiny GIF

Last edited:

PeteBull

Not automatically, but with the right developers, the right engine and a good budget, a game studio can make a much better looking game at 30fps
Back in the day it was the case, like durning playstation one- soul blade/edge that was 30(25 in pal) vs tekken series that was 60(50 in pal region), nowadays u got tons of examples difference is there ofc, but thx to dimnishing returns not even one game on current gen consoles looks miles ahead in 30fps vs 60fps mode.

And i dont mean multiplats with questionable quality of dev team that lack funds/time to make game look/run properly(newest sacrifice and example would be dev team who is making redfall :p) but games that are lookers, both on ps5 and xsx, ps5 demons souls 4k30 vs 1440p60fps mode, or ratchet modes, same with forza horizon(currently best looking racer, sorry gran turismo), xsx 60fps mode looks worse from 30fps mode but its not that much worse, in layman terms it looks maybe half a gen worse, aka midgen console upgrades gonna for sure be able to run those 30fps modes settings/res in 60fps.

Hunnybun

Devs keep pushing 30 fps because the data tells them that console gamers want better visuals over performance. That is just the sad truth and as we progress we will see games keep pushing for better visuals over performance just like previous generations.

Getting games to run at 4k is still a huge tax for consoles.

I bet what the data really tells them is that people use the default fidelity modes and never even look at that part of the menus.

I just can't accept that casual gamers actually prefer RT reflections and 4k resolutions to smooth motion. It seems incredible. You need a 65" tv to even get any benefit from 4k. Hardly any casual players would have that.

PeteBull

I bet what the data really tells them is that people use the default fidelity modes and never even look at that part of the menus.

I just can't accept that casual gamers actually prefer RT reflections and 4k resolutions to smooth motion. It seems incredible. You need a 65" tv to even get any benefit from 4k. Hardly any casual players would have that.
fortnite, nba2k, call of duty, fifa and madden are all smooth fluid 60fps games, casuals dont even understand whats 30 vs 60fps and subconciously prefer games that are smoother and more responsive =D

Fredrik

Arkane must be wondering what happened "we already announced a 60fps patch!"
…for some later date. Who’s going to be happy with that announcement? Would make more sense to have 60fps be the standard at launch and announce that a 30fps quality mode comes later. It’s a shooter. It’s like releasing a 30fps racing game. It just doesn’t work anymore.

Kev Kev

30 FPS is fine for me. 60 FPS is always a nice bonus, and it looks great and really helps the game feel solid, but my eyes get used to 30 after a few minutes and after that I don't even notice it.

But I also understand people who refuse to go back to 30, I'm just not one of them 🤷‍♂️

Hunnybun

fortnite, nba2k, call of duty, fifa and madden are all smooth fluid 60fps games, casuals dont even understand whats 30 vs 60fps and subconciously prefer games that are smoother and more responsive =D

I can perfectly well believe that if you offered them a choice of "graphics" and "performance" then people will choose graphics, because duh, of course I want a game that looks better. And that probably is what actually happens.

What I can't believe is that if you actually did an unbiased test on a typical tv, and said this is mode 1 and this is mode 2, which do you prefer, that people would actually pick the 30fps. If they did, then they're simply not experiencing what I do. 60 instantly looks far superior to 4k and some higher settings, which is typically what we've had so far.

Clearly if you had 2 games absolutely optimised around the 2 frame rates by 2 equally talented teams, then that's a much more subjective judgement. I guess you could test that with something like the new Cyberpunk path tracing at 30 versus the old RT at 60.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
…for some later date. Who’s going to be happy with that announcement? Would make more sense to have 60fps be the standard at launch and announce that a 30fps quality mode comes later. It’s a shooter. It’s like releasing a 30fps racing game. It just doesn’t work anymore.

From my point of view, I'm not happy about 30fps, obviously. I'm not expecting anyone to cheer this news. I too would prefer a 60fps mode to be available first if it was a case of them being able to deliver one or the other for release day.

But it seems that considering this news was trending on twitter yesterday, it seems a bit of an over reaction given that they've already announced the patch is coming. I'm not saying anyone else shouldn't voice their complete dismay at this. But at the same time considering the patch has been announced, yes without a release date, we're effectively looking at a delay. If they'd announced a delay for Redfall, I don't think it'd be trending on twitter, would spawn multiple threads and hundreds( thousands?) of comments on here as well as a generally existential question about these consoles.

Seems a bit overblown to me.

damidu

it was fine for me a decade ago as well,
unfortunately its not 2015 anymore and people are spoilt with high framerates and better presentation.

im sure i can still tolerate it for a slow paced, graphical showcase game.
redfall is none of those things either

Fredrik

From my point of view, I'm not happy about 30fps, obviously. I'm not expecting anyone to cheer this news. I too would prefer a 60fps mode to be available first if it was a case of them being able to deliver one or the other for release day.

But it seems that considering this news was trending on twitter yesterday, it seems a bit of an over reaction given that they've already announced the patch is coming. I'm not saying anyone else shouldn't voice their complete dismay at this. But at the same time considering the patch has been announced, yes without a release date, we're effectively looking at a delay. If they'd announced a delay for Redfall, I don't think it'd be trending on twitter, would spawn multiple threads and hundreds( thousands?) of comments on here as well as a generally existential question about these consoles.

Seems a bit overblown to me.
I don’t think it’s overblown at all. Imagine being one of those who plan to wait. With no release day or even hint for when the patch may arrive - when will they get to play it? In a week? A month? 6 months? A year?

MS/Arkane just did this whole pre-release thing terribly wrong if they let previewers play Redfall at 60fps on PC. Means they’ll likely use the PC version for review codes as well and in all the PR. Has anyone actually seen the console version?

The upside to this is that the noise could get Bethesda to wake up and start working on a 60fps mode for Starfield. Or, if that’s impossible, better prepare people for 30fps and detail that it’ll work fine for that particular genre.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
you can clearly see how unoptimized modern games are in other areas besides needing different modes to achieve playable performance, like insane storage sizes and unnecessarily high system requirements for PC players.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I don’t think it’s overblown at all. Imagine being one of those who plan to wait. With no release day or even hint for when the patch may arrive - when will they get to play it? In a week? A month? 6 months? A year?

MS/Arkane just did this whole pre-release thing terribly wrong if they let previewers play Redfall at 60fps on PC. Means they’ll likely use the PC version for review codes as well and in all the PR. Has anyone actually seen the console version?

They announced the game wouldn't be 60fps at launch well in advance of release. The game hasn't been sent to reviewers yet as far as I know.

Given that the game will release on Series S, is it reasonable for press to think what they played will be exactly the same on Series S? Obviously not.

Will reviewers redeeming a PC Review code think they're somehow not playing the PC version and are actually playing on a console? Obviously not.

The developers clearly wanted to release with a 60fps mode, announced ahead of release that it wouldn't be ready. This is a shame, but it's hardly an act of great deception.

Nope. Options will continue to be a thing. There will be a few that are outliers (Redfall being rushed) but majority will continue to have them.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
No, if it's 30 fps then I will not buy or play the game. I am too used to above 60 fps gaming and will not go back.

40 fps is a maybe.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Back in the day it was the case, like durning playstation one- soul blade/edge that was 30(25 in pal) vs tekken series that was 60(50 in pal region), nowadays u got tons of examples difference is there ofc, but thx to dimnishing returns not even one game on current gen consoles looks miles ahead in 30fps vs 60fps mode.

And i dont mean multiplats with questionable quality of dev team that lack funds/time to make game look/run properly(newest sacrifice and example would be dev team who is making redfall :p) but games that are lookers, both on ps5 and xsx, ps5 demons souls 4k30 vs 1440p60fps mode, or ratchet modes, same with forza horizon(currently best looking racer, sorry gran turismo), xsx 60fps mode looks worse from 30fps mode but its not that much worse, in layman terms it looks maybe half a gen worse, aka midgen console upgrades gonna for sure be able to run those 30fps modes settings/res in 60fps.
Oh it's coming, there will be studios that will push the visuals and show a bigger leap this gen

Top Bottom