• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone else bored by the gameplay mechanics of modern 3D hacknslash games?

pramod

Banned
By these I mean most of the ones that involve a character walking around on a flat ground, going up to enemies, press a button or a bunch of buttons to hit them, then running away/dodging, then going in and hitting them again, repeat ad nauseam.

ie all the Souls-type games, Dragons Dogma, GoW, Monster Hunter, Dynasty Warrior-type games, etc.

I dunno, I just feel like all these games play almost exactly the same. All the bosses are kinda the same. They are big, lumbering, slow, you just have to move around them and dodge their attacks. It's just learning the timing and patterns.

I just feel like these games haven't evolved at all. Yeah, they've been getting harder and more unforgiving, but they still all play the same. And the mechanics are pretty boring to me. I even feel that old 2D games like Megaman have more interesting mechanics than these games.
The only ones I can stomach are the ones that involve range weapons or spells, which make the mechanics a bit more interesting.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Those are all very different games, OP. Maybe you're just playing too many similar games in a row.

Wildebeest

I've said before that it is a problem that so many games are now designed around the "parry" gimmick. There is no counter play or nuance around parry. Your timing either passes or fails a binary test, and you win, or you lose. It is a boring coin toss, and all a designer has to play with is how easy the timing is to read and how generous the parry window is. It "feels good" for the player to get it right, and it feels "optimal" to destroy an enemy with an instant parry and one shot them, but in mastery terms it is just not a deep enough mechanic to carry every single new game with combat. And people who struggle with it only have the option of turning the parry window to some ridiculously wide margin with accessibility options.

pramod

Banned
Those games actually play completely differently from each other.

Comparing Musou games to Monster Hunter or Dragon’s Dogma for example only reflects a very superficial understanding of each game’s mechanics.

They all fundamentally play the same though. Although being "3D', the gameplay mechanics are mostly 2D, ie you are moving and attacking on a flat surface. Also a lot of these games have a "jump" button but all it does is make your character hop around. I don't even know why they bother to have a jump button.

Why can't these games allow true 3D combat?

For example if I'm fighting a dragon, why can't I run up a ledge, jump off, and stab it from above?
Why can't I use the environment to my advantage? Like how dynamic sword fights are in movies?

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
They all fundamentally play the same though. Although being "3D', the gameplay mechanics are mostly 2D, ie you are moving and attacking on a flat surface. Also a lot of these games have a "jump" button but all it does is make your character hop around. I don't even know why they bother to have a jump button.

For example if I'm fighting a dragon, why can't I run up a ledge, jump off, and stab it from above?
You didn’t play Dragon’s Dogma very much, apparently. You can literally climb monsters, and if you want more verticality, the strider class has a skill called stepping stone that makes you leap forward and use your target as a literal stepping stone to get airtime. I often used it to follow up with skull splitter for maximum satisfaction.

Dragon’s Dogma had extensive amounts of player choice in how to play with nine classes to choose from and lots of skills across them all including Mystic Knight which is able to summon a light orb that you then attack to make it fire homing spellshot at nearby enemies (wtf), or Magick Archer where you can literally set yourself on fire so you can grab monsters and set THEM on fire. So saying it plays the same as all those other games is certainly something.

Chukhopops said it best:

Those games actually play completely differently from each other.

Comparing Musou games to Monster Hunter or Dragon’s Dogma for example only reflects a very superficial understanding of each game’s mechanics.

Greirat

if I'm fighting a dragon, why can't I run up a ledge, jump off, and stab it from above?
You literally do that in the Souls games. Are you sure you've actually played these games? I mean properly engaged with the mechanics? There's a whole lot of depth you're missing out on.

Chukhopops

Why can't I use the environment to my advantage? Like how dynamic sword fights are in movies?

That’s not a bad point but that doesn’t imply all those games play the same way.

You have games which are slower, based on resource management (stamina, guard gauge, etc) with a more high-commit playstyle: Souls games, old-style Monster Hunter, etc.

And you have other games which are more reflex-based where you can easily cancel moves or switch back to defense from attack: games like Stranger of Paradise, DMC, most Musou games etc.

If you want games where you interact a lot more with the environment, you should try Dragon’s Dogma (where you can literally climb on enemies), Monster Hunter World (I prefer Rise but World has more interactive environments), etc.

Meicyn

Gold Member
BTW OP, if jumping around and being able to bounce off terrain mid-combat is important to you, Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis can give that experience. It’s free to play so, check it out. Just be prepared for maximum weeb time.

Rickyiez

Errr then play DMCV or Bayonetta 3? There's enough varieties as it is

OH wait pls don't play DMCV vergil then because you're going to make another thread about how complex the combat ceiling is.

F31 Leopard

Uh no. But I do like your avatar Queen Zz Badnusty waifu. BBQ in the middle of a fight is the best combat mechanic. 😆
VATzPX6.gif

Last edited:

JimboJones

Honestly I've never liked them, it's always boring to see them getting hyped up because I know I'm not going to like it, can't have everything I suppose!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Tired? Dude I wish we had more games that play like Dragon's Dogma.

I’ve developed late life ADHD or something because I kinda get how you’re feeling but it basically applies to all game genres. I’ll start out with a new game I’m excited for, play it for a bunch, then just get totally bored with it and move to something else that is totally different in genre. Eventually I’ll want to go back to the first game but will have forgotten basically everything and have to start from scratch. It’s why I’ve really begun to stick with shorter games or roguelikes that don’t require me to remember much. The last long story game I finished was cyberpunk and that was the first one in probably a year.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Everyone is excited for the new jedi game but after watching the trailer I thought it looked very generic. Not talking about Kal himself but the moveset and the way the enemies acted

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm bored of fighting mechanics these days, they're all the same: You fight other characters in order to defeat them, it's always the same, one against the other... can't they evolve?

Now srsly, each combat system I consider is very unique has their own rules, even if they copy some other in the process (like Mortal Shell did to Dark Souls), the devil is in the details, not because you press a button and the characters swing a sword and do damage it's the same lol, things like hits stops, patterns, rhythm, etc.

Then you'll have completely different styles... It's like those that called Smash Ultimate "another Wii U port for the Switch" implying it's just the same game... It's not, they play too differently, for starter, the bigger buffer window on Ultimate makes it very hard to play aggressively sometimes but makes it easier to play to new comers, changes on Ultimate completely changed the meta specially online even if the characters and base rules were exactly the same... And that's just two games from same franchise, if you played Bayo and then play Elden Ring and then play Scarlet Nexus you surely can't think they all play "too similar"...

Petopia

Banned
By these I mean most of the ones that involve a character walking around on a flat ground, going up to enemies, press a button or a bunch of buttons to hit them, then running away/dodging, then going in and hitting them again, repeat ad nauseam.

ie all the Souls-type games, Dragons Dogma, GoW, Monster Hunter, Dynasty Warrior-type games, etc.

I dunno, I just feel like all these games play almost exactly the same. All the bosses are kinda the same. They are big, lumbering, slow, you just have to move around them and dodge their attacks. It's just learning the timing and patterns.

I just feel like these games haven't evolved at all. Yeah, they've been getting harder and more unforgiving, but they still all play the same. And the mechanics are pretty boring to me. I even feel that old 2D games like Megaman have more interesting mechanics than these games.
The only ones I can stomach are the ones that involve range weapons or spells, which make the mechanics a bit more interesting.
Pretty shit take if you know what I mean unless your one of them genx gamers.

Top Bottom