• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone watching Watchmen

fucking goddamn brilliant movie

do a netflix free trial and give it a go

to this day i think it's the best movie about caped superheroes

it's avengers for adults

EDIT: if you search for it on a website that rhymes with "newtube" you can watch a full low quality version unless you wanna spend $4 to rent it

Last edited:

brap

Banned
I hear it's terrible.

reKoi3C.png

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

it's avengers for adults

EDIT: if you search for it on a website that rhymes with "newtube" you can watch a full low quality version unless you wanna spend $4 to rent it

Thanks.

I meant the series, though.

crowbrow

Banned
The graphic novel is brilliant all around. If you're new to Watchmen start with that. The movie is a pretty good adaptation but lacking in depth compared to the novel. I havent watched the series but i heard is a bit woke preachy and i've had enough with that stuff which is all over the place (we get it already, racism is bad, no need to add a cheesy phrase about evil whiteness every 30 minutes to appear woke and appease the moral hunters). Watchmen is already a highly political story but in a much deeper, subtle and interesting way than the current SJW nonsense so If they're going to go that route they basically ruined it for me already.

So is it anti-white? A series made in this day and age with a black main character and the movie and comic having political themes, made me think it could be.

sol_bad

I enjoyed the first episode and it's certainly not SJW at all. Just because the story (so far) is about a group of racist pricks doesn't make it SJW. I'm certainly interested and intrigued to see where the story goes. I like the main character too, she cool.

It's not anti white people either. The bad guys are very clearly racist nazi loving wankers. The police chief and other masked vigilantes are white. Main character and her husband are black. It's fine.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Haven’t seen the new one, I hear it’s more woke shit. The cops are all black people and they fight white supremacy? Leftist places love it so it has to be stupid. Turning Watchmen into a pro cop show sounds so bad tbh

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Haven’t seen the new one, I hear it’s more woke shit. The cops are all black people and they fight white supremacy? Leftist places love it so it has to be stupid. Turning Watchmen into a pro cop show sounds so bad tbh

From the previews I've seen, not all cops are black. Regina King's character is just the main character who happens to be black. Don Johnson's character is her boss, I think.

Hinedorf

Banned

it's avengers for adults

So you do exist....... Watchmen is awful from start to finish. It's basically Christopher Nolan's grimdark style with a trash plot and bad actors.

Oh....and a fucking blue cock, never forget the blue cock. I'd have no problem saying you liked the movie, not sure how many drugs you need to be on to call it the best.

I really was drawn into the first episode. I am very excited to catch last night’s episode. I really like how it expands the world, but so far not directly tied to the comic.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol the cops are not all black people. the police chief is white. 2 out of the three watchmen are white and they work for cops. cops are shown as morally corrupt even though they are trying to find and arrest white supremacists. if anything the episodes made me feel bad for the white supremacists because they are the ones suffering from police brutality.

the lead character is no angel either. its not an anti white show. its not a woke show. its just a show.

As a follow-up to Watchmen, it's embarrassing nonsense fanfiction from Lindelof (as expected, given his previous jaunt with established lore with Prometheus). If it weren't for the constant references to Dr. Manhattan and the weekly appearance from Veidt (which, admittedly, are pretty good - Jeremy Irons is just great), you'd have no idea this has anything to do with Watchmen. It really doesn't feel like a follow-up in any meaningful way.

So I'm trying to watch it with an open mind and excise it from the comic book because the production is generally pretty solid, but I still find myself regularly taken out of it due to a nonsensical script. Why is a 50 year old woman dispatching 20-somethings with ease, but then struggling to transfer a crippled old man from his wheelchair into a car? All cops wear masks because of what happened in Tulsa of all places? How does the rest of the country feel about this? etc.

It's just a frustrating show... as expected, from the writer of Lost and Prometheus.

Kadayi

Banned
I really enjoyed The Leftovers so I have some faith in Lindelof but I think I need to give it a few episodes before I can give it a fair assessment. Based on the pilot alone I can understand why some people rolled their eyes at it because on the surface it may have come across as politically broad brush. But given its HBO you know its going to be more than that.

Kadayi

Banned
As a follow-up to Watchmen, it's embarrassing nonsense fanfiction from Lindelof (as expected, given his previous jaunt with established lore with Prometheus). If it weren't for the constant references to Dr. Manhattan and the weekly appearance from Veidt (which, admittedly, are pretty good - Jeremy Irons is just great), you'd have no idea this has anything to do with Watchmen. It really doesn't feel like a follow-up in any meaningful way.

So I'm trying to watch it with an open mind and excise it from the comic book because the production is generally pretty solid, but I still find myself regularly taken out of it due to a nonsensical script. Why is a 50 year old woman dispatching 20-somethings with ease, but then struggling to transfer a crippled old man from his wheelchair into a car? All cops wear masks because of what happened in Tulsa of all places? How does the rest of the country feel about this? etc.

It's just a frustrating show... as expected, from the writer of Lost and Prometheus.

Firstly go watch all 3 seasons of the Leftovers (which was kind of a big deal) Secondly read up on prometheus. The script wasn't written wholly by Lindelof. He came in and did some touch up work on it late in the day. All the absurd plot nonsense in it was there way before he got involved.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
cops are shown as morally corrupt even though they are trying to find and arrest white supremacists. if anything the episodes made me feel bad for the white supremacists because they are the ones suffering from police brutality.
that's the thing, it's a pro-cop show, with some shocking reveal that *gasp* some of the cops might be white supremacists. anyone with an elementary school education know that many KKK members were cops themselves IRL so when you see that you will pat yourself on the back for knowing your justice history. so yeah cops fighting white supremacists, LOL, it's just like a tone deaf woke corporate take on whatever they are doing. it sounds like like when male feminists do feminism, white people writing about the black struggle. furthermore it's a notorious sellout making a corporate product, so it only makes sense to be skeptical.

like i say i haven't seen it. i've listened to some podcasts talking about it.

Last edited:
lol the cops are not all black people. the police chief is white. 2 out of the three watchmen are white and they work for cops. cops are shown as morally corrupt even though they are trying to find and arrest white supremacists. if anything the episodes made me feel bad for the white supremacists because they are the ones suffering from police brutality.

the lead character is no angel either. its not an anti white show. its not a woke show. its just a show.
There's 2019-appropriate nomenclature for LGBT people even though it takes place in an alternate universe, Reparations, most of the white people are racist (second episode spoilers: including the police chief, apparently... and if that holds true, I have a pretty good inkling that it goes to very high places, if you know what I mean. Which is exactly what the radical left is afraid of.) It's pretty woke, dude. Or at least walking a woke tightrope, as someone else said.
Firstly go watch all 3 seasons of the Leftovers (which was kind of a big deal) Secondly read up on prometheus. The script wasn't written wholly by Lindelof. He came in and did some touch up work on it late in the day. All the absurd plot nonsense in it was there way before he got involved.
We've gone over this before and I proved to you that this is false. Even provided the original script to you, IIRC.
Oh....and a fucking blue cock, never forget the blue cock.
Ooh boy, does the show have something for you!

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Haven't watched the second episode. Will probably watch tonight.

The show is in a weird spot. Rorschach as a symbol for white nationalism is an butcher to the source material. It doesn't come to me as "woke" but it's tightrope walking that line and could very easily go in that direction.

It's just ok so far. It's gonna need to step up it's game a lot in order to make anyone care.

You're hardly an important poster I hate to break it to you
Is that supposed to be an insult? Who gives a fuck?
Only reason I remembered you is because you were completely obnoxious and kept begging me to watch Leftovers, like you did just now. All because you refuse to do your due diligence and actually back up your claims to Prometheus' script. Fucking pathetic.

Edit: Look man, I've got better things to do than argue on GAF these days so by all means continue being obnoxious, I won't be listening.

Last edited:

sol_bad

LOL, it's just like a tone deaf woke corporate take on whatever they are doing. it sounds like like when male feminists do feminism, white people writing about the black struggle. furthermore it's a notorious sellout making a corporate product, so it only makes sense to be skeptical.

Yeah, the very start of the show involves an event that happened in real life in the 1920's that shows black people suffering.
But ... black people aren't suffering in this show in the current time frame, at least based on the first episode.

The show is in a weird spot. Rorschach as a symbol for white nationalism is an butcher to the source material. It doesn't come to me as "woke" but it's tightrope walking that line and could very easily go in that direction.

It's just ok so far. It's gonna need to step up it's game a lot in order to make anyone care.

But we know that Rorschach didn't stand for that. It's just that these sick fucks misinterpreted what he did stand for, or, there is a deeper meaning to the Rorschach symbolism that we just don't know about yet. Maybe they are just trying to smear his name for all we know.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
But we know that Rorschach didn't stand for that. It's just that these sick fucks misinterpreted what he did stand for, or, there is a deeper meaning to the Rorschach symbolism that we just don't know about yet. Maybe they are just trying to smear his name for all we know.

Your right, we know that, and in the context Of storytelling where a "true" Rorschach character(or maybe Dr. M brings him back to life) shows up and sets the record straight could be very interesting. I just don't have faith that it's what the show developers are actually doing.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I watched the first episode, and it was ok. Interesting enough that I'll keep watching. It's not nearly as race-baity as rotten tomatoes and the idiots who review bomb would have you believe. That said, it's not an unreasonable stretch to say it MIGHT get worse in that regard. There's certainly the groundwork for it. But after 1 ep, I'd say it's a lot of pearl clutching.

vpance

The writer has said in interviews that the show was meant to go full woke. Same with the lead actress. The point is to highlight the issues of police brutality and soaring racism in a post-Trump world.

vpance

This makes the usage of the source material even worse.

Oh yeah. He reshaped it to fit his needs. He said this in a recent interview.

When I started to think about what ‘Watchmen’ was going to be, trying to think about it in the original source material, the book was highly political. What in 2019 is the equivalent of the nuclear standoff between Russia and the U.S.? It felt like it was undeniably race and policing in America.

Kadayi

Banned
Is that supposed to be an insult? Who gives a fuck?
Only reason I remembered you is because you were completely obnoxious and kept begging me to watch Leftovers, like you did just now. All because you refuse to do your due diligence and actually back up your claims to Prometheus' script. Fucking pathetic.

Edit: Look man, I've got better things to do than argue on GAF these days so by all means continue being obnoxious, I won't be listening.

Link to the original Prometheus script here: -

Written by Jon Spaihts

Don't get me wrong, Prometheus is a fucking terrible film in terms of story, but if we're going to apportion blame, let's get our facts right versus put it all on Lindelof, hey? I get it, you thought the ending of LOST sucked ass (I thought it was 'meh') and you've been fuming ever since but it was 9 years ago, move on already. Quit stroking the hate boner, because no one cares at this point in time. In critical circles, you're judged on your present form, not the distance past and The Leftovers was pretty good as far as that goes. The fact despite being advised to give it a shot by myself and others back then you're clearly refused to do so, but instead would rather turn up here waving your hate boner as if it never happened just illustrates that when push comes to shove you're a closed mindset kind of poster. Which is probably why you're just not that memorable to me at the end of the day.

Last edited:

crowbrow

Banned
Oh yeah. He reshaped it to fit his needs. He said this in a recent interview.
You can see this imbecile didn't even understand what he read and when a so called writer can't even read then we have a problem. Even though the nuclear standoff was the background political setting of the novel it wasn't the focus of the political insights that the story tries to portray with the various characters. Anyone who has listened to Moore talk and know the kind of person he is would immediately see that reducing his novel to the topic of nuclear standoff would be criminal for such a brilliant writer like Moore is. Moore uses political topics to explore much important and deeper aspects of human existence and our western societies that are almost timeless, reducing the whole story to current racial and police brutality issues is the kind of shallow political nonsense that will turn a rich and complex world like Watchmen from a classic into a boring cliche-filled forgettable preachy hackjob. But of course why should we expect more from a "woke" writer, they are NPCs who are incapable of any type of critical or deep thinking.

Kadayi

Banned
I kind of dug episode 2. A bit of insight into what happened with the White Night and the subsequent response (as well as explaining the adoptions), more of a sense of unease about the whole masked Police thing in terms of accountability (Red Scare just seems like an unhinged lunatic) confirmation that Ozyimandias has some cloning project on the go (which makes you wonder who the originators are) plus the reveal about JGJs relationship to Angela, that Jed had secrets and then topped off by that crazy ending (you think Dr Manhattan...but nope...something else entirely).

Last edited:

Tenaciousmo

I identify with the Rorschach-ians than the Black people cops, and I'm unsure how to feel about that. but then again, blacks cops can do no wrong, white men are the problem, all hail anyone but white men. - haven't seen EP 02 yet

Last edited:

sol_bad

How can you feel for the racists?
All the cop did at the start of the episode was pull a guy over for a routine check. Are you drinking and driving? What's in the back of your car? Normal procedure. But then he saw the mask in the glove box and he knew what it meant. That's when he went a bit mental. But then the racist shot him in cold blood. If races were reversed, I wouldnt feel sorry for a black man if he murdered a white cop either.

Top Bottom