• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone watching Watchmen

Good episode but I feel the logic is getting fuzzy the more Doc integrates into the story

I feel there is a lot to explain in one final episode and not sure it can be pulled off

also

couldnt help but notice that there were about 20 fucks or fuckings said in this episode, all but one by a female. Cmon writers, disproportionate cursing isn’t how you make females leads tough or edgy.

Cleared_Hot

Am i the only one who found it incredibly annoying and pointless in how they hid Jon's face the whole time? WHY?! Damn near ruined the show for me. But when he looks like Cal oh yeah lets show his blue face now like wtf

Last edited:
Is the finale only one hour?

I feel like there’s so much to cover, hopefully it’s longer.

also

where has LG been? Who is Lube Man?

Yeah I assume the finale clocks in at around the hour and 20 minute mark.

I’m also thinking we will see some sort of Looking Glass/Laurie Blake team up.

Also should all be fully prepared for some sort of insane cliffhanger setting up Season 2.

Cleared_Hot

Very tricky episode to pull off and im not quite sure they did. Dr Manhattan looks stupid with eyebrows and pupils. Then there’s the whole race change. That was handled “ok”, I guess.
Yeah... But it worked in that he was having trouble making sense of everything. To go from being this one guy for ten years then instanly living your entire (incredible) life at once. Would be absolutely insane and overwhelming..

As for the eyebrows... He did go back and forth when he was glowing he was almost OG dr manhattan with white eyes but still had the new face, then he would deliberately dim and his eyebrows and pupils would appear ... I thought of it like his mind having trouble letting go of the new identity and making peace with everything else.

Bottom line is this: they ( as i expected ) did a piss-poor job of explaining why he ended up back on earth... When he more likely never would have never returned... Let alone settled on europa for his new world when he more likely would have completely left our solar system or even galaxy ... Its like watching a human decide to go be with apes. Motherfucker is lightyears evolved beyond humans. This is all based on him acknowledging his newfound respect for humanity in the book... which is great but not enough to retain. And then a ridiculous chance premise of falling in love with Angela. But you accept the circumstances and they handled pretty well, i just couldnt get over them hiding is fucking face. Like... Zero good reason for that. It was annoying as fuck. I was watching his stupid hands. Dr manhattan wasnt very expressive with his hands outside using them to direct his energy let alone do stupid fucking magic tricks.

Wait, am i way off on my perception of dr manhattan? Maybe. But i thought by the end of the book, he completely lost touch and there was one saving grace. He had every reason to leave. Not return a mere 25 years later to go hang out at a fucking bar.

But like i said, you take that and go okay... Fine, he goes to bar, only then it isnt far fetched to think he'd talk to angela and spark something for fun and shes a very attractive individual (shes funny, smart, very critical, cery witty, a total smartass, and yet COMPLETELY vulnerable and lonely, i mean who wouldnt fall for her) and immediately makes him feel incredible guilt for all the pain shes experienced. So yeah, the dude even being a practical god would easily fall for her.

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

Whelp it ended. About as good as any "sequel" would be. Not could... but would. But I don't entirely like what they did with Manhattan. His portrayal, or rather the performance in the film, was fucking spot on. This continuation will never make sense because i don't think manhattan would've came back so soon just to go into a bar, let alone only gone as far as europa. But also, fuck no lube man at fucking all in the finale

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
Jeremy Irons and Reznor/Ross’s score stole the show.

This might be a sequel to Watchmen, but it ends much like the Killing Joke.

Last edited:
Just watched the finale.

I thought the first 50 minutes of the finale were fantastic and the last 15 minutes were....okay? I guess?

Overall I would rate the season an 8.5. At points it flirted with brilliance but would regress. I think EP6 and EP7 deserve Emmy nominations.

Overall very good/almost truly great television. Hope we get a season 2.

Rooter

Neo Member
One of the best standalone seasons of any show in the history of TV, much like everything Lindelof puts out. Leftovers S2 & 3 and this... jesus christ.

iorek21

Mixed feelings about it, seemed to me that the show didn't really know what it really wanted.

Nevertheless, some episodes were outright amazing, very high quality, specially Looking Glass's, Doc Manhattan's and Hooded Justice (coincidentally the ones that weren't that connected to the main plot)

One question I have

Did Dr. Manhattan give Will some of his power? For 105 years old, or whatever, he’s doing pretty good, and how did he get out of the handcuffs in Angela’s shop?

What I imagine as a theme for Season 2, if we get it

I can see it working out to where Angela/Manhattan try to create the idealistic society, they destroy all bomb and mass destructive technologies, but society will still have issues and we realize that there’s more to our problems than the weapons we use

I’m sure the trial of Adrian Veidt will take up most of season in bits and pieces and also provide a real morality debate

[/spoiler

Last edited:

DKehoe

Did it just name drop NIN’s next album title, or was it known already?

I'm guessing it's a title NIN came up with in that universe. Like how Spielberg made a movie about the squid instead of Schindler's List.

Karma Jawa

HBO said it's up to Lindelof if they do a season 2 or not, Lindelof has said he thinks he is done so HBO said they won't be moving ahead with anything more. I think it works pretty well to leave it there.

Agreed. I thought it was a great series with a satisfying conclusion. It’s always natural to want more of a good thing, but in this case it simply doesn’t seem necessary.

Karma Jawa

At first I was like “gotta have S2” but after letting it settle for a bit now I’m fine with it being a one a done. Fantastic television storytelling.

end on a high note

I was the same. They did such a great job creating a new world within the Watchmen universe. It felt like an original yet faithful sequel to the graphic novel / film, and I wanted to see more characters, more mystery, and more flashbacks. But really it was an unexpected and wonderful epilogue.

Makes me wish that Lost had been neatly concluded in three seasons. I’d have probably have watched it several times since then.

I was the same. They did such a great job creating a new world within the Watchmen universe. It felt like an original yet faithful sequel to the graphic novel / film, and I wanted to see more characters, more mystery, and more flashbacks. But really it was an unexpected and wonderful epilogue.

Makes me wish that Lost had been neatly concluded in three seasons. I’d have probably have watched it several times since then.

Yeah, I’ve always said that I think LOST just collapsed from its own weight. There were so many loose ends that became dead ends, they probably just said “fuck it, let’s take the easy way out.”

really disappointed me, loved that show

Karma Jawa

Yeah, I’ve always said that I think LOST just collapsed from its own weight. There were so many loose ends that became dead ends, they probably just said “fuck it, let’s take the easy way out.”

really disappointed me, loved that show

Very true. I think they should have gone one of two ways. Either the easy ‘purgatory’ and redemption plot which was obviously the original intention, or just make it clear that it was going to be a weird mystery with enough hints to allow the viewer to draw their own conclusions.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Watching it right now. The opening episode got me really invested the pod scene in particular gripped my by the balls in a good way. The dialogue with Looking Glass and the trailer trash, Looking Glass' Southern accent, that score by Reznor and Ross. I loved it.

As it progressed it's slowly made more sense with the setting and sliding the remaining pieces of the original Watchmen into play. I'll be honest, I always thought the comic was overrated stupid shit so I had no immediate attachment or rejection to what was going on. I was really enjoying it so far but watching episode 6... A lot of that is really hard to swallow.

While what the show had currently was moving forward into 2019 in the Watchmen universe it never bothered me. This retcon and switching stuff around does actually seem like a big fuck you to Alan Moore and I'm not even a fan. lol.

nkarafo

I haven't watched any episode yet but i didn't like a few standalone scenes i did watch. Some of the action scenes looked like fan made projects. And is it me or they woke the fuck out of it?

Kenpachii

I hear it's terrible.

reKoi3C.png

Sounds about right.

Brave stunning courage the series.

Fbh

Finally took the time to watch this last week.

I enjoyed it but IMO it lost a lot of steam in the second half, and the finale was underwhelming.
Felt a bit unfocused. First it's all about the racist cult but then they sort of become almost irrelevant from one chapter to the other and it all shifts to Lady Trieu and Dr Manhattan. The finale was meh, Dr Manhattan whose entire point is basically being a God gets captured and killed in a surprisingly easy way (did he want to get killed?) and the whole seasons of buildup ends with the racist cult getting killed quickly and Trieu having her machine fall on top of her.
The whole Veidt part had me intrigued from the start but there wasn't much to it either. Almost felt like they just needed something to fill up time and keep audiences guessing

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
If anything to take away from me watching this and all of you is that the OST is fucking amazing.

I just finished it, the finale wrapped up in a way I didn't hate. The end game result does do a heavy shift away from how the series started itself, it went from current year shit to "Oh wait this is Capeshit lmao" and tried to emulate the final conclusion of the original comic in a big epic sort of way. First five episodes I was gripped in hard, I thought the premise was an interesting one on a smaller scale but keeping in touch with the in universe events that happened in the comic.

After the reveal/origin of Hooded Justice and who Doctor Manhatten was, it just lost its way hard and suddenly felt a need to close things up. No wonder there's no second season, they ran before they could walk. It all started off so well too...

Its got a lot of the woke politics attached to it, but I enjoyed it. I am starting to dislike show series that have a couple central mysteries that they just drag you along confusing the fuck out of you until they reveal in the last 2 episodes...this is one of those shows.. Also, Jeremy Irons as an old Ozymandias is perfect.

Grinchy

Banned
Take a break from this show to go watch some Westworld season 3 if you need more education on how women are powerful and badass and men are incompetent at their worst and evil + incompetent at their best.

The only successful man is one who has taken credit for a woman's work and did so with evil intentions and deserves to die. This is what I'm learning from all of these great new shows.

Ymir

Starting watching this because it's free and it's really... not good. It's really scattered and the plot twist in episode 7 is really dumb. It has so little to do with the actual watchmen that I'm not sure why they didn't make it as a completely new idea. The music is also really jarring and almost always subtracts from or lessens the scene. Very weird to have loud pop using playing during everything emotional event or death.

Ymir

Yeah.... this is hands down one of the dumbest shows I've seen in a while. It has parts that are cool or interesting but it always takes a left turn and has the dumbest explaination or resolution to anything that's happening.

Last edited:
Top Bottom