• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Beatrix the most interesting and admirable character in Final Fantasy?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
As a character, she has a great fighting stance, strength and always going forward.

UnfinishedDisguisedIcelandicsheepdog-size_restricted.gif

Her character and character design, despite not having played this installment, gives an aura of being, at least for me, the best character ever created in the franchise.

ff9_beatrix.jpg

Opinions of Beatrix?

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
season 1 loathing and tube socks GIF by mom

Also, you haven’t played IX?

Dallas Cowboys Football GIF by ScooterMagruder

Do so immediately, and then start a new thread praising the entire game, not just a supporting character you don’t know much about.

Also, Vivi is my favorite character of the game and franchise as a whole.

SvatpDR.jpg

In fact, finishing Breath of the wild, I want to start this Final Fantasy 9 game, I've never played it, but I read a little about Beatrix and I was struck by the personality and design.

As a character, she has a great fighting stance, strength and always going forward.

UnfinishedDisguisedIcelandicsheepdog-size_restricted.gif

Her character and character design, despite not having played this installment, gives an aura of being, at least for me, the best character ever created in the franchise.

ff9_beatrix.jpg

Opinions of Beatrix?
In my top 10 favorite Final Fantasy Characters. FF9 has some great characters, still my favorite FF of all time

Handel

If by most interesting and admirable you mean that she's the worst aspect of the entire game then sure. She cheats in all three of her boss battles that are badly done supposed to lose fights in that you can't just let her beat you but have to actually try+maybe expend resources, also it logically doesn't even make sense that she can beat the party in the third encounter but hey, girl power! On top of that, she's a war criminal who gets no comeuppance, that has a terribly executed heel turn from villain to hero in the span of a few lines of dialogue.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Most interesting? Emet-Selch in Final Fantasy XIV, and it’s not even close. Not admirable in the slightest though, given his body count is likely in the billions.

If we’re sticking with the ladies, then it’s Tifa, also not even close. Yuna would have been a close second, but FFX-2 happened so…

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Beatrix was cool. I saw she had Climhazzard and my young tiny teenage brain that was fanboying over VII still instantly loved her.

But I mean

She's the stereotypical badass guest member in FF games. Same as Leo, Sephiroth, Seymour, Edward, FuSoYa, Unne, Ricard, etc.

Akt

Banned
As someone who helped in killing countless innocent people, yeah, she's awesome.

On a serious note, well, she was unfortunate to serve a bad queen, but she does realize what she was done.

If their roles were switched, Steiner would have most likely done the same atrocities.

Beatrix definitely deserved more, but what she got was better than nothing.

If FF9 remake rumors really end up being true, it would be nice to expand her story.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
No it's obviously Hope the series most beloved character.

d5bo3tf-d55af078-0217-43f6-85d7-d518aff98a13.png

Hope became slightly better in XIII-2. Grown man who was the head of the de facto world government and his boomerang had an EM thing added to it. That was nifty.

Still nowhere near the level of truly cool characters such as Quina, or my personal favorite, ??? the ghost in FFVI.

SkylineRKR

I hacked Beatrix in my game with my VCD player annex gameshark back then. I powered her to max level and she was powerful. You could even equip the Save the Queen item on her (which she already had anyway), why was this item even in the game? But I think max level Steiner is ultimately more powerful and could do max damage attacks with Vivi like Doomsday.

Game would lock up after beating Trance Kuja lol.

Hugare

You call her the "most interesting and admirable" character of the whole FF franchise despite not having played the game? Only because of her design?

That's some next level simping, man

She is kinda boring honestly, but I agree that her design is great. Maybe in another FF game she would stand out, but FF IX has a lot of great characters.

Play the game, it's the best FF (imo)

Graciaus

I know a remake is rumored but I wish console players could experience the Moguri mod. Game looks amazing and there are even mods to add Beatrix to your party. Made me fall in love with the game all over again.

Teslerum

Opinions of Beatrix?

BTW Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme : There's a mod for the PC version that adds Beatrix as a permanent party member. This includes cutscenes, lines and the full shebang gameplay wise:

Note about the version "Beatrix-only"

That version is meant to provide additional content without changing the difficulty or the gameplay of the vanilla (non-modded) game. It includes:
- Recruitable Beatrix (with cutscenes, abilities, trance etc.),
- Hidden scenes cut by the devs,
- The optional stuff that Hades offers (4 extra bosses and their rewards; the extra bosses are slightly easier since they inflict less statuses, but their damage and HP are the same as in the main version of the mod),
- Thunder Slash fix (that's the only non-optional gameplay aspect I kept in that version).

Last edited:
Top Bottom