• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Dating Someone Who Lives With Their Parents A Dealbreaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chojin

My wife was 28 and living at home before I married her. She moved in with me after we got married. Seems to work fine.

Really depends on the details.

If it's someone with zero drive, zero ambition just content to pretend they're 18 forever...probably a dealbreaker.

If it's someone that's working, trying to save they money and just at home because of the economy or whatever and they seem to have an adult head on their shoulder...not a big deal.

Really depends what the person is DOING while they live with their parents.

It's 2016, the stigma's gone, everyone understands the struggle.

And this. Rent is like 1600 a month for a shithole. Pay that, or just wear headphones when you masturbate....

nullset2

Is it really much different if you live in a place with 6 roommates? I had a friend in that situation and frankly the only difference between that and living at home seemed to be everyone's age.

Nah, not a difference. Living with roommates sucks as much as living with the parents.

Man there's really nothing like living alone. Again --let us fuck freely! let us masturbate whenever and wherever we want! Let us be in the nude!--

RockmanBN

Depends if they in someway are working or are continuing school. It's good to stay in some cases as it can be cheaper to live with your parents than alone or with roommates. Makes it much easier to pay off college debt or other things similar in that manner.

yes

But if I was in his position I'd totally hate me.
Well, he should probably be understanding of your current situation and work around it if he actually wants to spend time with you... It's totally possible to have a healthful sex life while living with your parents/roommates. Best wishes.

Dehnus

I saw a response in the "GF Wants Kids" thread about a poster breaking up with someone who was still living with their parent. There were other things involved I'm sure, but one of the points was that they were still living with their parents.

Do only emotionally stunted people still live with their parents? Can you be considered by a partner to be "normal" because you still live at home? Would you swipe right or whichever direction if that was something on their profile? Or after getting to know them on a date or two, does it give you pause after you find out? If so, why?

There's a cultural aspect; In the west, 18 is seen as freedom and the folks kick you out and you spread your wings. It's in tv shows and movies where the guy finally leaves the nest to make their mark on the world. It's almost as big a deal as getting a license when you hit 16 back in the day. In some eastern cultures, respect for your elders mean sticking with them and taking care of them. That means living with them as they grow older. That can be a sticking point in dating, especially if you plan on dating people immersed in western culture and norms.

Is that a dealbreaker when looking for a potential mate?
Would you find them immature?
A mama's boy/girl?
Not a real adult?
Would you posit that they are not ready for primetime and therefore not one you would consider for longterm dating/relationships?

Not really we are all different people, as long as they are nice and he is nice... then I'm happy about it.

No. My wife was living at home with her parents when I met her. Shit happens sometimes and you don't have other options or maybe you are helping to take care of them. There are a lot of reasons why you would live with your parents but the short answer is no.

There's nothing wrong with living with your parents as long as they still want you there. My brother is 26 and still lives with our parents yet he's also a qualified teacher and has a successful career, he's just staying home because it's easier for everybody financially. Honestly, this is a silly question and if it is a dealbreaker to anybody in this thread I will be surprised as I thought Gaf would be better than that.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Of course not. There are too many variables to just outright call such a thing a deal breaker.
Drowns puppies in burlap sacks, has an I love hitler tattoo, believes homosexuality is a sin, watches two broke girls and laughs at the jokes, watches my little pony, is a herion addict. These are the unforgivable things that are dealbreakers.

I wouldn't date someone who isn't building towards their future. That certainly doesn't exclude people who are living at home. It excludes people who are doing nothing with their lives.

Mark L

I think it's a potential deal breaker. Maybe I'd call it a prima fascie deal breaker, which can be challenged depending on the circumstances.

Foffy

Banned
Context is key.

Why are they home? Is there aversion from moving out?

Simply saying "anyone in X situation is automatically Y" is catastrophically dumb and absurd.

Madao

the way things are going, getting a home to live alone doesn't sound appealing at all. it's tooe xpensive and most cities are a clusterfuck. i'd rather stay at my parent's home and help with expenses.
not gonna piss away my life at a stressful job until i'm an old fart. much easier to keep a much lower income in a more relaxing job and help with anything i use up.
i'm getting to the point dating is too hard and not worth the trouble.

so, if this is what's making it a deal breaker for me, tough luck. not gonna bend for some society stuff.

studyguy

West = North America.

Moreover the free spirit 18 year old who got the boot and makes ends meet by their own bootstraps seems by and large a culturally white American phenomenon. Nothing against it but also from a cultural stance I don't think I could find it in myself to boot my kid out when they turned 18. That happened to my girlfriend and it seems so strange that her parents basically cut her off while she flailed about for a good few years struggling.

Anyway, it all depends as I posted before. A lot of things can be deal breakers to some people. I find not liking dogs a dealbreaker personally.

Amory

So it's a dealbreaker for you. Is there an age cutoff?

I'm not sure I'd call it a deal breaker, but I think by the time you're in your mid-20s you should either live on your own or at least have a plan to.

I've dated 26 and 27 year olds who lived with their parents, and it usually was indicative of some degree of immaturity (though I don't think that's always the case).

Mesoian

No.

But I would question what they're goals for their life are going forward. But there are plenty of good reasons to live with your parents.

azyless

There's a cultural aspect; In the west, 18 is seen as freedom and the folks kick you out and you spread your wings. It's in tv shows and movies where the guy finally leaves the nest to make their mark on the world. It's almost as big a deal as getting a license when you hit 16 back in the day. In some eastern cultures, respect for your elders mean sticking with them and taking care of them. That means living with them as they grow older. That can be a sticking point in dating, especially if you plan on dating people immersed in western culture and norms.
If by "west" you mean the USA lol. Plenty of people in various countries of Europe stay at their parents' as long as it's convenient and no one has a problem with it. My cousin is 25 still living with her mom, they get along well so there's no need to pay for some crazy high parisian rent (she just finished school).

That said I saw the post you're talking about and if a 30 year old woman still didn't want to move out of their parents' by the time they're 35... yeah I'd have a hard time with it too, there would need to be some serious extenuating circumstances.

Depends on age and other circumstances. I'm in my early forties and I live at home, and nobody should date me. It's a clear sign that I'm a fuck up and I don't begrudge any woman who thinks "uh, no thanks."

But with changing patterns in education and the economy, I dunno if there's a general rule. Some people might be continuing school, or saving for a down payment, or have lost their job etc etc. I think you have to exercise your own judgement about what living at home actually reflects: a kind of "defect," or just circumstance.

Also culture too! Don't forget that in lots of cultures it's considered less weird to live at home as an adult.

Depends on age and reasons, I guess, but would be a huge turn off for me. If there was an actual relationship and they moved back for a decent reason, then it's something to work around or discuss, but early dating? Not appealing at all, so probably not.

I dated a woman in her early 30's who lived with her mom after going through a bankruptcy. At first, the lack of financial responsibility was a big concern but she seemed to have learned from the experience. We broke up eventually but the living situation was never a big deal.

norm9

Not necessarily.

Because anything over 25 is just fucking weird

I think it's a potential deal breaker. Maybe I'd call it a prima fascie deal breaker, which can be challenged depending on the circumstances.

Having lived at home with my mom for a really long time while saving up my money, I'm sure it affected my dating prospects. The asocial personality didn't help me either.

There's a cultural aspect; In the west, 18 is seen as freedom and the folks kick you out and you spread your wings. It's in tv shows and movies where the guy finally leaves the nest to make their mark on the world. It's almost as big a deal as getting a license when you hit 16 back in the day.

This ain't true at all, at least not any more. Most millennials consider themselves lucky if they can move out when they're 21.

Not at all.

If they believe they're not financially stable enough to live on their own, then what's the big deal? I have more respect for someone that can admit their flaws rather than attempt to struggle it out for some superficial reason.

On top of that, I'm dating the person - not they're living situation. Their home doesn't change who they are and what I like about them.

There are situations where living with your parents is a symptom of an overarching problem, and that could potentially be a deal breaker.

Zoe

I would question why they're not living with a roommate instead before going any further.

I'm 28, living in SoCal and i live with my parents. I help them out with rent and bills since theyre retired and dont own a house...

trixx

so long as they have a job and pay for their own stuff, I don't see a problem. Sometimes it's a cultural thing, sometimes taking care of parents etc.. but I guess age could factor in

Greddleok

Deal breaker. I know it's hard out there, that's why the mature people have moved out and aren't sponging off their parents.

Theres a difference between living with your parents and be completely dependent on them. I still live with my parents for free and am fed, though I buy my own car, insurance, cell service, tuition, etc. I know its not viable for me to live on my own and goto school which is why I live at home.

My ex on the other hand.. rich spoiled only child, emotionally and financially dependent on her parents. They got her a 30000$ car, insurance, tuition, cell service, everything. She was a horrible human being and because of her priviledged life sought to create drama so she had something to complain about. I tried my hardest to make her have an idea of independence but nope. her rich dad also wanted to buy her an apartment.

These are two kinds of people who live at home

kevin1025

Banned
What if my parents are living with me?

latest

scotcheggz

At my age is pretty unlikely (34) but I'd say no, it's not really a big deal. There might be a small part of me that thinks maybe they're not a 'real' adult in terms of money and budgeting, as horrible as that is, but I don't think it would really bother me. I just assume we'd spend most of the time staying at my place, which is fine. A very tiny, issue? Perhaps, but certainly not a dealbreaker and as others have posted, context certainly counts for a lot here...

Squalor

Deal breaker. I know it's hard out there, that's why the mature people have moved out and aren't sponging off their parents.
Specious reasoning (but what else would one expect from NeoGAF) as there are plenty of immature people who don't live with their parents.

norm9

Depends on age and other circumstances. I'm in my early forties and I live at home, and nobody should date me. It's a clear sign that I'm a fuck up and I don't begrudge any woman who thinks "uh, no thanks."

But with changing patterns in education and the economy, I dunno if there's a general rule. Some people might be continuing school, or saving for a down payment, or have lost their job etc etc. I think you have to exercise your own judgement about what living at home actually reflects: a kind of "defect," or just circumstance.

If there's other fish in the sea, wouldn't it just be easier to move along to the next person who actually lives by themselves instead of figuring out their circumstances?

I would question why they're not living with a roommate instead before going any further.

Is there really a difference?

C.Mongler

I mean, depends on the situation. My girlfriend has been in and out of her mom's place while we've been dating the past two years, but it was entirely because she's had shit luck with her job situation. We now live together as of two months ago.

For me it's more about the other person's drive, life/career goals, and aspirations. I couldn't date someone who lives with their parents just because they're content working a minimum wage job, or no job at all even, and just not paying rent. That just says to me they're looking for a parasitic relationship and not a mutual one.

Entirely depends on the situation. So not explicitly no but if you are in your 30's and still living at home its not a great look.

Pretty much. It's becoming increasingly common in recent years for reasons that are obvious.

Just depends on the person and the situation. Someone with no aspirations who still gets their laundry done for them would be a big no-no. Someone with goals who handles their own shit, probably fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom