• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Dragon Quest strictly a Japan-only franchise now or something?

Arzehn

Maybe the success of FFXIV will get SE to try DQX in the west. I mean even if it got a fifth of the FFXIV numbers it would probably be worth the localization costs. I think adding a PC version was the first stepping stone to localization.

clem84

Gold Member
2014 marks the 25th anniversary of the franchise in North America. Maybe SE has something planned for 2014? We can only hope.

NolbertoS

2014 marks the 25th anniversary of the franchise in North America. Maybe SE has something planned for 2014? We can only hope.

I doubt it. They released a Japanese Wii 25th anniversary collectors edition awhile back. The West usually gets scraps. Was hoping nintendo would turn that tide but seems they don't make much returns publishing DQIV through VI on the DS

sörine

Banned
The popular wisdom before August was that no monthly-fee MMO would succeed in the US again, so launching two a month apart (as would have happened if DQ10 PC had been worldwide) is kind of silly.
They just re-launched FF 14.
They probably don't want to have 2 competing MMOs out at around the same time.
Right. It's not the platform(s) that's keeping DQX away which was my point.

That seems really extreme. I can understand wanting to stagger the releases (even though I'd wager the RPG-hungry demo would totally gobble up both regardless) but I can't imagine a small nod assuring that it's coming, just ways away would hurdle the sales of their current game.
Seems less extreme than saying if it's not announced in 9 hours then it's never coming. I just expect if it's happening then we won't know about it until after BD.

Dragon Quest 9 outsold NNK but its nothing to shout about since DQ9 had a big marketing campaign behind it as well as being a known franchise. DQ iirc did 1 million and NNk in the west did 650k. However for some reaoson DQ never picked up in the West.
About 50k high on Ni No Kuni. It was 600k on DS, 800k on PS3 and around 200k of that in Japan. DQIX was 1.02m in the west.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Considering that DQ11 and ones after that will probably be mobile-only, it's hard for me to even care that it's only Japanese-exclusive. Wish we would've at least gotten DQ7 3DS before it happened though :(

KiTA

Considering that DQ11 and ones after that will probably be mobile-only, it's hard for me to even care that it's only Japanese-exclusive. Wish we would've at least gotten DQ7 3DS before it happened though :(

No, it won't. DQXI will most likely be 3DS, one of the last 3DS titles at this rate. It's not due out until 2015-2017 at this rate, unless DQX's development didn't affect DQXI's devlopement.

The DQ Mobile games are very obviously cash grabs. SE is kinda bleeding money, and they're getting desperate enough that they're casting Curaga -- DQ cash grabs. Next up, a FF7 remake and FF7-2.

Also:

christmaslime8dq10org.jpg

There is nothing in this world as adorable as a Slime wearing a Santa Hat.

Top Bottom