• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Dreamcast really more powerful than PS2?

Tain

I can't picture MGS2 or MGS3 looking very similar on Dreamcast. The differences in geometric complexity between scenes in the top PS2 games and Dreamcast games seem too huge.

kingkaiser

It's green yuck
mgs2_0223_screen011.jpg

more colors

sonic_adventure.jpg

Indeed, monochromatic textures were a trademark of most PS2 games, sadly.

The "Graphics Synthesizer" was really limited with only 4MB V-Ram and no hardware-based texture compression, which has been a bad joke, even back then.

Hey look, monochromatic textures everywhere!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I can't picture MGS2 or MGS3 looking very similar on Dreamcast. The differences in geometric complexity between scenes in the top PS2 games and Dreamcast games seem too huge.
Agreed.

The types of effects present in MGS2 were unheard of at the time. Things like depth of field were first experienced on PS2. Even the PC wouldn't catch up for a while on that front. The Dreamcast never proved that it could handle such things let alone matching the geometry.

0WYTTuR.jpg

i6dJvCh.jpg

mkgTCiX.jpg

YH0PlqX.jpg

9NfUFD2.jpg

It has 2D backgrounds. There's nothing even remotely impressive about it from a technical perspective.

Yep. Gradius V and R type Final were doing the same thing if not better, with 3D interactive environments. Shmups tend not to be technical showpieces, but that game is mediocre even by PS2 standards.

Daingurse

VGA box is amazing, I fucking love mine. Games looks perfectly fine on my HD TV. But back to the topic, I thought the PS2 was better in all aspects, interesting to hear that the Dreamcast had more VRAM.

dark10x

Indeed, monochromatic textures were a trademark of most PS2 games, sadly.

The "Graphics Synthesizer" was really limited with only 4MB V-Ram and no hardware-based texture compression, which has been a bad joke, even back then.

Hey look, monochromatic textures everywhere!
I know you joke, but if you really look at a lot of Dreamcast games, the textures actually tend to hold up worse in a lot of ways. Look at Shenmue (those shots I posted). The textures are obscenely low resolution.

Most DC games also used heavy mipmapping which resulted in a complete loss of detail as textures moved away from the camera. PS2 did not typically use this, which made for a noisier image, but ultimately gave the impression of sharper visuals. I believe this is how Model 3 arcade hardware handled textures as well (no mipmapping).

MGS3 on 7 GD-R. But even then, that game used some pretty funky wizardry even the PS3 has some issues with. This also went for Konami's SH and Zone of the Enders. Had to do with fillrates of the PS2.

Well, MGS3 is already od 3DS, and it's still the same game with slight alterations. Now, could DC do GTA:SA in fashion that the game would still be recognisable?

Dreamcast vs. PS2 is a lot like the discussion between PS3 vs X360.

X360 and Dreamcast are great capable machines that are easy to develop for and easy to squeeze great power from.

PS2, thanks to it's VU units and PS3, due to it's Cell SPEs, both dwarf the other two.

To all those who say the PS2 was VRAM limited, I applaud you and agree - it's a damned shame. Look at games like Shadow of the Colossus and witness 4bit textures everywhere - a real necessity to squeeze that game out at 480p.

A damned shame.

dark10x

Well, MGS3 is already od 3DS, and it's still the same game with slight alterations. Now, could DC do GTA:SA in fashion that the game would still be recognisable?
3DS is more capable hardware than Dreamcast yet, despite that, barely handles MGS3 with a maximum framerate of 20 fps with lots of slowdown, missing effects, all while operating at a lower resolution. It's a mess on 3DS.

The Dreamcast is not capable of matching the 3DS at all.

The majority in this thread are way off base. The Dreamcast had more RAM, faster RAM, more VRAM, a more powerful GPU, a better CPU with twice as many cores, and managed all of this with quieter cooling, an internal PSU, smaller form factor, and lower idle power utilization.

Not to mention, the Dreamcast had asynchronous gaming with the VMU, better online play, a much better (and larger) library, and lower price even with packed-in games.

Seriously, are people saying the PS2 was more powerful just trolling?

SkylineRKR

Textures of a lot of DC games are pretty much PS1 at higher resolution and framerate. They are really blocky, but a lot of color and high framerate saved it somewhat.

Look at the geometry of Headhunter, one of the final and better looking DC games:

images

dreamcast-40634-21325134630.jpg

Tain

The majority in this thread are way off base. The Dreamcast had more RAM, faster RAM, more VRAM, a more powerful GPU, a better CPU with twice as many cores, and managed all of this with quieter cooling, an internal PSU, smaller form factor, and lower idle power utilization.

Not to mention, the Dreamcast had asynchronous gaming with the VMU, better online play, a much better (and larger) library, and lower price even with packed-in games.

i can't tell with this post

False on all counts. Specs for both systems are already posted. The PS2 beats the DC in all of those areas.

edit: now that I see the "larger library" argument, this poster is either a time traveler or high on crack

3DS is more capable hardware than Dreamcast yet, despite that, barely handles MGS3 with a maximum framerate of 20 fps with lots of slowdown, missing effects, all while operating at a lower resolution. It's a mess on 3DS.

The Dreamcast is not capable of matching the 3DS at all.

Yeah, I played the demo and it's a shitty port, but dc should be able to handle similar port without needing 7 discs.

MGS2 is easily the most overrated graphic showcase of all times.

Fixed aerial camera, awesome poor texturing, low poly counts outside main characters, lots of 2D tricks, etc. On top of that extreme lackluster base, they throw a lot of backbuffer effects and it was enough to make most people happy. There is like 2 sets of textures in the whole game!

One of the saddest pages in gaming history is that media sold that as Dreamcast killer and people bought it.

SkylineRKR

Yeah, I played the demo and it's a shitty port, but dc should be able to handle similar port without needing 7 discs.

The 3DS version is shit, and is perhaps even more shit when hooked up to the big screen. You'll need to downsample even further from there. Essentially leaving a shell of the game. 3DS carts should still be bigger than DC GD-Rom as well. I believe MGS3 3D is a whopping 4gb, which is 3 or 4 times the size of a GD.

So its 'possible', like a Gameboy port of Killer Instinct was 'possible'.

Fixed aerial camera, awesome poor texturing, low poly counts outside main characters, lots of 2D tricks, etc. On top of that extreme lackluster base, they throw a lot of backbuffer effects and it was enough to make most people happy. There is like 2 sets of textures in the whole game!

One of the saddest pages in gaming history is that media sold that as Dreamcast killer and people bought it.

you know how i know you didn't play MGS2?

dark10x

Well, they would have to cut ALL of the post processing, seriously reduce particles, reduce geometry across the board (including more grass removal), among other things. It really wouldn't look much like MGS3. The visuals were designed for PS2. The game would have to be designed very differently for Dreamcast.

The 3DS is actually capable of effects that the PS2 was not, which it can use to make up for some limitations. I suspect that the Dreamcast would be capable of something more like Peace Walker, though, which actually has all of those missing elements (smaller maps, less geometry, minimal post processing, etc).

Couldn't possibly disagree more. It looked absolutely jaw dropping in motion. Nothing else looked like that at the time. Truly a remarkable visual feast.

You're wrong about the camera, though.

Into

Before commenting on games, you should probably play them first

There is no fixed aerial camera in MGS2, you would know this if you played just 5 min of the game.

SkylineRKR

Before commenting on games, you should probably play them first

There is no fixed aerial camera in MGS2, you would know this if you played just 5 min of the game.

I think he already declared the Dreamcast the more powerful console earlier in this thread.

You can try.

MGS2 didn't have a fixed camera. that camera was dynamic, and adusted itself on the fly based on what environment you were in. SOME points had an overhead aerial view, some were behind the back, some were 3/4. Depends on where you were.

here's a Gameplay clip of the big shell that demonstrates this.

On top of that, MGS2 could be switched to first person view for aiming and combat at any time. Fixed camera it was not.

That was a deliberate design decision by Kojima, as shown with MGS3. That view did not work well for the vast open environments used in MGS3- so kojima implemented an over the shoulder TPS view for that game.

SkylineRKR

You're right, not literally but you do deny that the Ps2 is more powerful:

PS2 have a stronger processor, but in every other aspect, it's a shitty design. Emotion Engine was squandered in such an awful console, everything in PS2 is bottlenecking that CPU. It should have been last Kutaragi design.

PVR2DC just nukes GS in every way and hole known by humanity. It's not as easy as to say any console is more powerful than another, but say PS2 is stronger than DC is just not true.

PS2 was squeezed to his last by every developer, meanwhile only AM2 took some advantage of Dreamcast. Sonic Team, for example, used a tweaqued Saturn engine for their games. They had no time to build an engine from scratch, and we are talking about 1st party here. Then we had a lot of upped ports, starting with Soul Calibur, and most of them were PSOne ports with just better resoultion. So a lot of people got confused with the system real capabilities.

Dreamcast is a better and more balanced design. In the long run it could have won easily the graphics race vs the PS2, both still way under the NGC. It lacks some raw muscle against PS2, but latter one have to brute force everything, so the gap is nullified.

Although I agree with the first part, same shit happened with PS3, the rest is rather far fetched and wishful thinking. But compare it to any other generation, and I doubt a geometry jump over time from DC games to Ps2 games shown here never happened on a single system.

Yawnier

Banned
Not enough God of War 2 screenshots in here, that game squeezed out every last bit of juice that the PS2 had probably (well, it released in 2007 too).

The Dreamcast was only on the market for a few years time - so we never got to see most developers pull off things with the system like Team Ico, ND, Insomniac, and SSM did with the PS2.

But fuck man, some of you guys are still salty over the DC aren't you?

The only people that believed the Dreamcast was more powerful than the PS2 were either people with buyers remorse or people that hated Sony. At least in my experience.

dark10x

You cant run and move camera on MGS2 as you can on shenmue or any other 3rd person game. There is a BIG difference.
No there is not. There's only a difference if the camera remains completely fixed. If the camera were selected for performance reasons you wouldn't be allowed to look around in first person.

Shenmue isn't exactly an impressive looking game, though, with its blurry textures and complete lack of lighting. It was also limited to rather small areas all divided by lengthy loading screens. Let's not forget that stuff...

The Dreamcast was only on the market for a few years time - so we never got to see most developers pull off things with the system like Team Ico, ND, Insomniac, and SSM did with the PS2.
See, I don't think that argument holds water simply because we saw so many impressive games on PS2 within its first two years on the market.

In my mind MGS2 is still more impressive than MGS3 graphically, maybe because it's cleaner looking and runs a bit smoother. I know technically MGS3 has more things going... But when I think of MGS2 I remember messing around at the tanker level enjoying the weather effects and character models and animations, and thinking wow, Dreamcast couldn't do this, this looks amazing. The jungle in MGS3 looked pretty messy in comparison, ugly textures and not enough polygons...

Gameplaywise DC could do both, but the particle effects are definitely out.

No there is not. There's only a difference if the camera remains completely fixed. If the camera were selected for performance reasons you wouldn't be allowed to look around in first person.

Shenmue isn't exactly an impressive looking game, though, with its blurry textures and complete lack of lighting. It was also limited to rather small areas all divided by lengthy loading screens. Let's not forget that stuff...

haha, the man.

You cant run and move camera on MGS2 as you can on shenmue or any other 3rd person game. There is a BIG difference.

There is also a "big difference" between a dynamic camera that can be switched to first person on the fly, and a "fixed aerial view."

MGS2 does not have a fixed camera, period.

You get a lot of people saying "If you gave them more time!" it would have been on par with the PS2... but I have to wonder, did the studios working on the DC even have the technical skill to produce these theoretical games?

Sure, if you gave them unlimited magical funds, they could hire enough people with skills to do better... but as those studios were at the start of the DC era, would they have been technically capable of pushing these supposed mad good DC graphics 5 years in? Looking at how "well" most of them transitioned into PS2/GCN development? I don't think so.

Top Bottom