• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Emo Music Still Around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be the first to admit that I never cared for the fashion aspect of the emo scene but I loved the music. Brand New, Straylight Run, Fall Out Boy (Early), My Chemical Romance (Early), Taking Back Sunday, Jimmy Eat World, Panic At the Disco (Early), Hawthorne Heights, etc.

So if it's still around, what bands should I check out?

Zombine

Banned
Most of the Emo bands have already broken up or have re-branded/changed their sound because it's no longer a hot ticket.

Yep, it's definitely more akin to 90's emo now than to 00's emo. You Blew It, Dads, Dikembe, Empire Empire (I was a lonely estate), Hightide Hotel and the likes. Then you have bands like American Football, Braid and The Jazz June that are reforming. They're just a few of the more mainstream "emo revival" bands. Pitchfork is really getting into emo revival bands.

00's emo is pretty much packed away for now.

Last year's best album was an emo album

NjmtWtL.jpg

(Home, Like Noplace Is There by The Hotelier)

kris.

Banned
Yep, it's definitely more akin to 90's emo now than to 00's emo. You Blew It, Dads, Dikembe, Empire Empire (I was a lonely estate), Hightide Hotel and the likes. Then you have bands like American Football, Braid and The Jazz June that are reforming. They're just a few of the more mainstream "emo revival" bands. Pitchfork is really getting into emo revival bands.

00's emo is pretty much packed away for now.

Last year's best album was an emo album

(Home Like Noplace Is There by The Hotelier)

I like you a lot, GAF.

Aren't bands like Chiodos, Parkway Drive, Pierce The Veil, We Came As Romans, etc. all emo?

Oh god no, those are all post-hardcore/metalcore bands.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Are The Wonder Years emo or more straight punk? Their lyrics on some of their albums def drift towards emo.

It was a trip to find out about the emo and hardcore kids going at it in Mexico. Is that still a thing?

I still see kids dress the part here.

I don't know if there's a point in making the distinctions, but I'd argue that Touche Amore fits the bill of something I'd describe as being more traditionally emo.

I enjoy it.

Brand New still holds up for me. They're the only "emo" band that I still listen to leftover from my high school days. I actually just saw them live last October and they put on a great show. I heard rumors about a new album, but those pop up every time they announce a tour. I'm of the opinion that they haven't been emo since Deja Entendu but classifying music genres is weird and something no one can agree on.

Ban Puncher

I thought all the kids were into something called trap now, which somehow manages to sound even more like robot farts than dubstep.

I guess it depends on your definition of emo. If emo means "emotional hardcore" music, and includes hardcore punk music that people call screamo, then emo is still around.

That kind of music seems pretty popular in the math rock scene today. And there are still a lot of bands. "Twinkle daddies" seems to be a new emo genre today. If it counts as emo.

I think it's neat that there's a screamo band named Iselia, that was inspired by my favourite video game of all time, Tales of Symphonia.

leakey

Thedevilandgodareraginginsideme.jpg

I can still listen to this album every once in a while. That's about as far as it goes for me. I'm sure some folks out there are still rocking out to TBS or old Dashboard, or whatever you defined as emo in middle/high school.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I will be the first to admit that I never cared for the fashion aspect of the emo scene but I loved the music. Brand New, Straylight Run, Fall Out Boy (Early), My Chemical Romance (Early), Taking Back Sunday, Jimmy Eat World, Panic At the Disco (Early), Hawthorne Heights, etc.

So if it's still around, what bands should I check out?

My Chemical Romance is about the only band I would label Emo...but I always hated the genre term Emo...all music is emotional.

MCR are no longer together btw.

I can still listen to this album every once in a while. That's about as far as it goes for me. I'm sure some folks out there are still rocking out to TBS or old Dashboard, or whatever you defined as emo in middle/high school.

Excellent album. my cousin lent me her copy when I was just starting to get into music.

zert

Brand New's The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me is one of my favorite albums ever. I still really enjoy every song in that album.

There is a huge difference between 90's early 2000's emo and what came beyond that though, so one persons Emo is the Get Up Kids and Braid and the other person thinks that My Chemical Romance and all those x-core bands are emo.

Braid released a new album last year and it was brilliant. I'd also advocate Modern Baseball and I am not even sure what category the Front Bottoms fall under but they are really great despite the odd name that seems to put lots of people off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom