• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

is Garfield's popularity based solely on it's design? the fact that is marketable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Genuinely liked it. I rewatched that Halloween special a few times. I was actually pretty disappointed to hear it was frowned upon as a marketing grab when I got older.

I used that eye style for doodles for quite a while. That reminds me, Fallout 4 has a perk that uses it: Idiot Savant

jstripes

Banned
Then there was the week when Jim Davis did something truly bizarre:

http://www.retrojunk.com/article/show/417/the-death-of-garfield

KS8qOCQ.jpg

Mathieran

Banned
I was a huge fan of Garfield as a kid and basically learned to read by having my brother read and I would follow along. I had all the collections and watched the cartoon.

Sheroking

It was never Calvin and Hobbes, but the first decade or so was solid. The TV show was fun, too.

Garfield was kind of my first anti-hero. I'll always have a soft spot for it because it was a big part of my childhood.

Saying Garfield isn't funny isn't some dangerous stance to take or some shit though.

If you said Calvin & Hobbes or Peanuts or something, you might get some kind of reaction.

Mindblown.gif

Context: I owned over 39 garfield books as an aspiring cartoonist when I was young then never read them again after being exposed to calvin and hobbes. Of course I proceeded to buy all of the books in that collection.

My assessment: Garfield is for people who have been dulled by their soul being sucked away from the slave life, and Calvin N Hobbes is for people with lots of soul

bengraven

It was appealing to the demographic at the time.

- the design was good and creative

- he had quirks and people liked it

- slice of life type jokes

- like Sonic he was just a bit more attitude in a genre full of pure characters

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Fink

I used to have one of those books of his comics and would read them in the car as a kid. Not sure how old I was, maybe 7? These days I can only laugh at how bad they are.

This website has sketches from Jim Davis himself and the asking prices are pretty ridiculous. The original comic strip art is $2000 per strip. I wonder how often they actually sell these things.

Some of the fanmade things around it are great too, i.e. Garfield Minus Garfield. My friend and I are big fans of lasagnacat's re-enacting of the comic strips.

Sad thing is I think there actually might have been. Someone needs to find it if it exists.
Multiple Garfield comics explain that Garfield hates Mondays because they're his bad luck days.

Also, that Garfield without Garfield link has another link to the Garfield.com website. I can't believe those minigames are still there! I used to play the Scary Scavenger Hunts and Bean Me from time to time when I was in elementary school! How are those still up?

So the thing about Garfield is that something happened to it in the late 90s. And by something happened I mean that it stopped being in any way clever or funny. If you look at strips made before this time frame (as a kid I had a bunch of the compilation books!), they are actually pretty good. Not C&H or Far Side level of course, but that's not a fair comparison.

I always figured that was the time Jim Davis mentally checked out.

As for why it still exists -- are any comic strips funny these days? I feel like it's an inertia thing. What's going to displace it? Some equally awful comic strip without the name recognition?

Valhelm

contribute something
I think Garfield really latched onto the early-80s nihilism that emerged due to the materialism of that decade. The cast was as lazy and misanthropic as we all believe ourselves to be, and was rude to his superior in a way we can only dream of. And in 1980, his snark was pretty edgy and new compared to usual comic strip humor.

So the thing about Garfield is that something happened to it in the late 90s. And by something happened I mean that it stopped being in any way clever or funny. If you look at strips made before this time frame (as a kid I had a bunch of the compilation books!), they are actually pretty good. Not C&H or Far Side level of course, but that's not a fair comparison.

As far as I can tell, the 90s were when the rightsholders seriously started flooding the whole globe with licensed merchandising. Weird stuff like ice skating shows, store and restaurant chains, and plans for theme parks (which fell through because it wasn't Universal Studios, basically). Countries like China ate this stuff up just because it was a Western cartoon character.

As a result the comic had to be written so all the jokes were universally translatable in every culture. Of course, when you write (G-rated) jokes so that literally every person on the planet can get them, you have to cut out most of the remotely funny ones.

SNURB

I enjoy the Garfield comics up to a certain period. I say that the strip hit its peak in the 1980s when there was genuinely funny stuff but took a nosedive somewhere in the 90s (maybe sometime after the Saturday Morning cartoon).

The TV specials are great though. Especially the early ones since they have that Peanuts look to them (same artists/animators worked on both).

I still get a kick out of Jon drinking that cup of dog sperm at the vet.

Love Garfield and own a lot of books. Older stuff is better, and newer strips kind of just rehash old topics. Pretty sure the biggest breakthrough in recent times is Jon finally getting with Liz.

Watching Garfield and Friends on Saturday mornings was the highlight of my weekends growing up. Lorenzo Music was perfect.

"Hey, Jon. It's me, Gazorpazorpfield. Boy, fuck you, Jon, you fucking dumb, stupid idiot. You dumb, stupid, weak, pathetic, white, white... uh-uhh... guilt... white-guilt, milquetoast... piece of human garbage."

The fact that this entire episode was nothing but improv is the best.

Mr Swine

Banned
I still read Garfield from time to time. I agree that it's not what it used to be but it's enough for me, still my favourite comic series. I do like Calvin & Hobbes and Peanuts so yeah :p

As for why it still exists -- are any comic strips funny these days? I feel like it's an inertia thing. What's going to displace it? Some equally awful comic strip without the name recognition?

Yes, that's around the time where the strip didn't seem to be as funny or clever anymore. It's too bad, but occasionally I go back to read a bunch of them to see how it is, haven't read it in a while so maybe things have picked up? Who knows.

I still need to go back and get all of the older ones.

bounchfx

as a kid, i loved garfield. i had the comic strip books 1-26 or something like that. I found it entertaining, but I can't really remember shit Lol, there were some parts later on that were more story-like in those though, not sure if they were ever in the newspaper. stuff like going to grandmas for thanksgiving and whatnot - it was a lot more than just the 3 panel format. hell, my aunt even signed me up for the garfield can club and I think I still have my membership card, aha.

You have to keep in mind that Garfield's been around since the late 70's. Yeah, he's not funny now, but that's because the whole apathetic, sarcastic smartass schtick has been done to death by this point. In the 70's and 80's this was not the case and his strip was fresh and legit funny at the time. It was so much more hip/edgy than Peanuts, Blondie, Hagar, and Snuffy Smith, etc.

It's the same reason The Far Side and FoxTrot got super-popular a littler later on. They were bucking the trend of wholesome, gentle, lowest-common denominator comic strip humor. Both of those strips are better than Garfield but Jim Davis beat them to the punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom