• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Hillary up for the biggest Presidential landslide victory in history?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the recent favorability polls, many Republicans potentially staying home over choosing to vote for Trump, and even the slight possibility of historically red states like Utah going blue, I'm wondering if this is potentially the biggest gap in polls we'll see in history come this voting season?

I still feel strongly that we've only really seen a vocal minority pour support for Trump, and once the real voting wave comes in for the Presidential election, they'll be crushed into obscurity as well as having been exposed for supporting a racist.

No. The nation has become far too polarized for true landslides to happen anymore. Trump despite his poor favorability will still get at minimum 45% of the popular vote and will carry the great plains and most of the South.

Hillary's best-case Scenario is Obama's 2012 map + Missouri, Arizona, and Georgia.

Grexeno

No. Reagan-esque blowouts are no longer possible due to polarization. A landslide for her looks like Obama 2012 + NC + one or two more.

kavanf1

She'll win for sure. I think if she gets over 60% of the vote that's enough to count as a landslide.

Kusagari

The best case scenario for Hillary is Obama's 2008 map and a couple more states and a 55% popular vote victory.

We've had numerous elections with bigger landslides.

rjinaz

No. But it's going to be a clear win, that I'm sure of. I think we're going to see some new blue states, hopefully Arizona where I live.

Patryn

No.

349px-ElectoralCollege1984.svg.png

RPGCrazied

He will get 40% regardless. That said I hope he gets his ass handed to him in the general to show people we don't want hate, racism, bigotry. That will never win in the USA.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL no. No president from this point forward will ever see a landslide like Reagan/Mondale. Our country is way too polarized.

I don't think so. She also has a fairly low favorability rating and Trump has done a good job getting his supporters to the polling booths. I think she'll win, but it won't be a landslide (even though it really should be, given Donald Trump is her competition)

Nobody will ever beat the complete thrashing Mondale took. The guy lost so badly he barely carried his home state by less than half a percentage point, and that was the only state he won.

entremet

No. Why do people underestimate the Republican Party?

You may not agree with their policies and rhetoric, but they're massively successful.

BamfMeat

I don't know that she will win at all.

Polls are wonderful and all, but until the actual election day, I'm not confident about anything and fearful about everything.

Also this:

You may not agree with their policies and rhetoric, but they're massively successful.

40% of each party would vote for their candidate if one side was putting up Jesus and the other side was putting up Hitler.

Because Jesus would be for/against gay marriage, for/against tax cuts for the rich, etc.

legacyzero

Banned
Stop underestimating Trump. Dude is pulling popularity from a large base of toxic, racist, intolerant people. Its gonna need a bit more effort than coasting into the oval office.

No, but it seems to be headed towards a very comfortable one. I feel like it could go as high as like 8 points or something.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I hate threads like this so early in the election, it makes people complacent and easy to forget they still have to vote. NOTHING is a sure thing, this might seem like it, and hopefully it is, but imagine what happens if a new issue arises even more crazy then the email thing? She's already on thin ice and untrusted by a lot of people, too many screw ups and she could lose.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Although I don't believe it's to the same extent as Trump, a lot of people are disillusioned by her candidacy.

rjinaz

Because Trump is their candidate?

I mean I agree with you a landslide isn't happening, but you think Trump is going to win with the crap coming out of his mouth?
I hate threads like this so early in the election, it makes people complacent and easy to forget they still have to vote. NOTHING is a sure thing, this might seem like it, and hopefully it is, but imagine what happens if a new issue arises even more crazy then the email thing? She's already on thin ice and untrusted by a lot of people, too many screw ups and she could lose.

I mean to be fair, even if every single person that read this thread decided not to vote because of it, it really wouldn't effect her chances.

pigeon

Banned
People are offering a lot of conventional wisdom in this thread.

That conventional wisdom assumes that we have two presidential candidates. We don't.

Donald Trump is not a presidential candidate. He does not do any of the very basic stuff that presidential candidates are supposed to do, like raise money, organize communications, get support from his own party, or in any other way demonstrate an interest in running for president of the United States.

Donald Trump, the nominee, exists because the GOP is collapsing and its coalition is breaking apart. In any normal year they would be able to actually choose a candidate, but not this year.

Because Trump is not a real candidate and is not running a real campaign, we can't assume anything about how badly he will lose. It is pretty clear that he is going to lose, but beyond that, I think almost anything is possible.

I would not be surprised is the Republicans somehow manage to stop Trump at the convention and nominate a more moderate candidate that'll give Hillary a harder time. .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...dcf74e-3491-11e6-8758-d58e76e11b12_story.html

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/anti-trump-gop-delegates-224495

This would probably be equally bad for the GOP in terms of losing, since all the devout Trump supporters will completely freak out.

RPGCrazied

Because Trump is their candidate?

I mean I agree with you a landslide isn't happening, but you think Trump is going to win with the crap coming out of his mouth?

He will lose on just his unfavorable's with non white people. Its like 4% for African Americans and 11% for Hispanics. Don't forget how much the women base hates him. There isn't enough white men to vote him into office.

He is not going to win.

Cromwell

Banned
After listening to the latest Slate Political Gabfest, yes. John Dickerson is saying behind closed doors that the entire GOP has been expecting a huge loss since even before he was the presumptive nominee, and they're all extremely aware how incompatible "textbook racist statement" and "he shouldn't have the nuclear codes" are with claiming to support him. The party fracture is so utterly insane and his support so abysmal that he won't be able to field a defense against the Clinton powerhouse. She's going to destroy him.

The Republican Party is against Trump.

BiggNife

I don't think he's going to win but I also don't think we should assume a landslide 5 months away from the election. Shit changes on a whim.

3 weeks ago there was a poll showing Trump in the lead and suddenly everyone was declaring the end of the world. Now there's polls with Clinton having a sizable margin and suddenly people have decided she's gonna steamroll him.

5 months is a long amount of time where a lot of stuff can happen. Wait and see.

kmfdmpig

Their popularity as a party has been significantly damaged by Trump and many moderate members of the party do not support him and will either vote for Hillary or stay home. That combination will make this election quite different from the relatively close elections we have seen in recent years, I think.

Toparaman

Banned
I feel like it could end up a 60/40 split. Trump is a better showman and entertainer than Hilary, and there's a sizable chunk of Americans for whom that's reason enough to vote for him, combined with hatred of liberalism/Hilary.

Ha, I see many others are predicting 40%. Great minds think alike. ;)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's possible.

And during those 5 months millions of people will magically like Trump and vote for him?

He is probably the most unelectable candidate in US history.

Hey, given time and the right kinds of triggers, enough could be convinced to tip the scales as far as the electoral college is concerned. I feel it's a bit too early to be so certain of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom