• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is is unreasonable to complain about the new Zelda's textures?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So while the main complaint everyone seems to have about the new Zelda is its overworld (I for one, will be cautiously optimistic), my biggest grievance was some rather poor quality texture work, mainly on the rocks.

Poor ground textures plagued Twilight Princess, which was an otherwise pretty dang good looking game. But I was willing to give that a pass since it was on gamecube hardware. But with this new Zelda? It's got twice the amount of RAM than either the 360 or PS3 and with a pretty rocking GPU. As such there should be no excuses. We should be at a point in gaming where blurry textures were a thing of the past.

Compare it to Kameo where the rocks were not only not low quality, but had some absolutely kickass parallax mapping. And that was done on weaker hardware than the Wii-U.

Thoughts?

before anyone goes 'well it was offscreen' there were plenty of instances of textures on the ground and on other surfaces that looked like they were just painted in with something like Sims 3's ground texture painter tool. The game is still in its early stages though so I wouldn't worry too much.

LiamR

I don't really think it's worth getting up in arms about textures or anything like that yet. The game has a while to go still.

Not

Banned
They'll fix it. Jeez, now I'm starting to see why they don't show stuff early.

I bet the whole game world will eventually have the same level of polish as that initial area in the E3 trailer.

It is off screen footage of a game that has about a year of development left. Don't think the textures are too bad aside from a few that look unfinished (textures stretched vertically on the mountain)
I think it would be best to say "I hope they fix those textures by launch" instead of "Zelda U has ugly textures"

Fiktion

Banned
Well yes, unless you genuinely think those are final and not part of a work in progress.

This is precisely why we get overdressed CG trailers.

RomanceDawn

So while the main complaint everyone seems to have about the new Zelda is its overworld (I for one, will be cautiously optimistic), my biggest grievance was some rather poor quality texture work, mainly on the rocks.

Poor ground textures plagued Twilight Princess, which was an otherwise pretty dang good looking game. But I was willing to give that a pass since it was on gamecube hardware. But with this new Zelda? It's got twice the amount of RAM than either the 360 or PS3 and with a pretty rocking GPU. As such there should be no excuses. We should be at a point in gaming where blurry textures were a thing of the past.

Thoughts?

Oblivion you fiend. Just wait until the game comes out. You know Nintendo games get prettier by the time they release. Just relax and wait a bit. Though if it bothers you that much get on Miiverse and complain away. Those developers read our nonsense.
-Caterkiller

I just got done complaining about the crappy wall texture in this Witcher 3 scene. All games need work.

20920_2013-10-10_0004gfua5.jpg

Also, by using my past experiences with water and ground textures in Zelda games, I'm worried too

Links-Awakening-1.jpg

Nibel

Since the game is coming out tomorrow, no, it's actually reasonable to complain about the textures.

I'd wait to complain until you start seeing egregious issues in screens that pop up a few months out from a confirmed release date. OoT3D saw significant improvements between March 2011 and its June 2011 release.

That said, unless you have complaints about something you saw in the E3 2014 screens, I'd definitely hold off. Off-screen footage is no way to judge a game's finer visuals.

I believe there's a reason they weren't comfortable showing it in a more direct capacity. Nintendo aren't normally ones to present tames in the manner in which Zelda wii U was. I'm hoping there will be massive improvements ahead of a greater e3 showcase, and potentially a story trailer in an upcoming nintendo direct.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'd like to remind everyone that Nintendo never fixed the ground textures in Ordon Village.

xandaca

It is unreasonable because the only footage we've seen of the game being played was off-screen, which never does visual quality any favours. When direct feed footage is released and we see the game how it will look when we play it, complain away if you're unsatisfied.

cacildo

Bad textures on a rock can kill a game for me.

So i think nintendo should just give up the game already. In fact im gonna call nintendo right now

Sure people can complain. But just remember that the game is a year away and if you think Nintendo isn't going to make adjustments then your ignorant to how Nintnedo works. So if someone states the following, "Those are PS2 level ground textures downgrade confirmed" expect to be met with criticism by those who have been paying attention to Nintendo and specifically the Legend of Zelda series when it comes to graphics.

15strong

It was unfinished. Yes the textures were not very good, but the game just did not look like it was in a state to show. Hence the reason they showed it off screen. It was a weird way to showcase the new Zelda because it did not highlight what will make the game another fantastic Zelda.

Not

Banned
Oblivion you fiend. Just wait until the game comes out. You know Nintendo games get prettier by the time they release. Just relax and wait a bit. Though if it bothers you that much get on Miiverse and complain away. Those developers read our nonsense.
-Caterkiller

Well, in the Japanese thread, at least

sn00zer

Compare it to Kameo where the rocks were not only not low quality, but had some absolutely kickass parallax mapping. And that was done on weaker hardware than the Wii-U.

Thoughts?

Poor texture quality in an off screen video of an unfinished game?

Wazi the pa

Neo Member
The general fanbase of Zelda is completely toxic. Why would they complain about it when what they saw was obviously an early build of the game?

Don't jump to conclusions. Wait for more updates on the way. Simple as that.
Consider that gameplay footage as a tease of whats to come.

Nicktendo86

If it looks as is when released, no it is not unreasonable to complain.

As of today? Yes it is totally unreasonable, the game is a year away from release. People have been screaming for early footage, get it, then complain it looks unfinished. The mind boggles.

They got foliage right already, which is something few games do. How come people don't complain about crappy foliage? It's more noticeable than some lowres ground textures, IMO.

Nightbird

Maybe you should wait until it's done before you start complaining.
There is a reason why they only showed Off-Screen Gameplay, you know?

Haunted

It is considering the nature and quality of the footage we have and the fact that it is a clearly unfinished game.
I agree with this.

That said, I'll put forward that they will most likely still look bad in the final game, the last couple Zelda games have been pretty rough with earthen ground textures, here's hoping there's enough grass to hide it all. >_>

Astral Dog

First, its the Wii U, 1 GB of RAM is not much for everything in the game.

then, i dont know why you came to that conclusion after low quality off screen footage. :/
i thought the rock textures were the best shown,wait for a trailer, at least.

ghibli99

Still too early to complain. I actually think they should have left the first part out. Maybe just show the map, but the Gamepad look/zoom stuff was so janky, and those trees in the background were hilariously terrible. I can't complain about the textures, etc., since there's so much time to improve that stuff. I liked what I saw on a macro level, giving us a look into where they're going, but I didn't take any of it to be indicative of the final product. I have lots of faith. As far as I can tell, Nintendo hasn't let us down on the Wii U with their major franchises.

Poor texture quality in an off screen video of an unfinished game?

Say it ain't so!

I'd like to remind everyone that Nintendo never fixed the ground textures in Ordon Village.

And I'd like to remind you that you made this thread, thus reiterating why everyone else gives us CG trailers all the time

The next time a thread pops up about the overabundance of those trailers, think on your sins

JordanN

Banned
Poor ground textures plagued Twilight Princess, which was an otherwise pretty dang good looking game. But I was willing to give that a pass since it was on gamecube hardware. But with this new Zelda? It's got twice the amount of RAM than either the 360 or PS3 and with a pretty rocking GPU.
Textures require a lot more than that.

Bandwidth is a huge factor. The bigger texture size = more mb needed to move. At high resolutions, that becomes very heavy (512 x 512 requires 768kb of data whereas 1024 x 1024 uses 3mb). Textures also have a CPU/GPU cost.

CPU comes from calculating UV Islands (more unique textures = more polygons). GPU because you are sending more lighting instructions to be calculated per pixel (i.e bump maps, specular maps). Though some of these problems can be mitigated through the use of instancing and tiling (although tiling increases draw call costs which again, requires more power from the CPU).

Porcile

Of all the things I remember about a game, the ground is probably the last thing. I think your priorities may be a little screwed up in all honesty.

Sciz

Why would you even shoot a PR video like that with off-screen footage?

It boggles the mind.

Because they want the lead developers onscreen and it's faster than cutting together a trailer, I'd imagine.

Also because they know good and well that people will take absolutely any Zelda footage they provide regardless.

Top Bottom