• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it easy getting a professor to change a grade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
First of all, the blame for my grade rests entirely on me, and I can honestly say that I've learned my slacker lesson. :)

I hardly did any of the homework and I hardly studied for any of the quizzes (although I decided to DO all of the homework in preparation for my Midterms/Final...which hardly made any sense, especially since it obviously doesn't count for anything after the fact). The only thing that saved me from failing was my Midterms.

I got a D+. I'm only 10 points away from a C- (which is the minimum requirement for my major) and I think I got cheated out of 6 points on a midterm anyway. Besides, my TA fucked up his adding on 6 exams in my class (including mine) and we all missed out on 12 points, until we all recognized his mistake. Honest adding mistake.

I really, REALLY regret being so lazy this quarter.

Anyone ever been in this situation? How flexible do you think my professor would be toward me? Any tips?

Matlock

Banned
1. Talk to the professor
2. Talk to the head of the department
3. Talk to your parents
4. ????
5. shoulda went to kent state

MIMIC

Banned
Matlock said:
1. Talk to the professor
2. Talk to the head of the department
3. Talk to your parents
4. ????
5. shoulda went to kent state

You think they would change my grade/allow me to do something to up my grade?

D+ eh? Time for remedial courses.

I was temporarily lazy, not dumb. :p

demi

ai.gif

MIMIC

Banned
demi said:

My professor IS pretty fruity, BTW.

I'll never be that desperate, though. :) (unless I was sure I could blackmail him for accepting a sexual favor in exchange for a grade....BEFORE I did anything, of course :p)

MIMIC

Banned
But seriously guys, I'm feeling like shit cause 1) my parents would go insane and 2) the course credit wouldn't count.

Anybody think I have a shot at leniency (in regards of being allowed to do whatever for the C)? I'm just looking for some hope (false or not :p)

cubanb

Banned
If you didnt do most of the homework (turn it in I mean), then in my experience, the professor will have little sympathy

what course is it? did you go to most of the classes? is there attendance taken in any way? (daily quiz)

MIMIC

Banned
cubanb said:
If you didnt do most of the homework (turn it in I mean), then in my experience, the professor will have little sympathy

what course is it? did you go to most of the classes? is there attendance taken in any way? (daily quiz)

Math.

I went to all but 2 classes (out of the entire quarter).

cubanb

Banned
in my experience, math teachers are pretty anal.

Despite that, it is in your best interest to try as hard as you can to get your grade changed. Go and plead with the professor, tell the professor about the missing points if that is indeed a dealbreaker for you getting credit. And if the professor refuses to do so, call the math department or your counselour for whatever your school has and look into a petition for a grade change citing the error in midterm grading as the reason

ChrisReid

Just tough it out and accept the grade you got. Just remember that you'll be able to graduate with occasional D+'s, but when firms are trying to narrow down applicants, college grades can be a deciding factor. Also much harder to get into graduate school with poor grades. If you don't have a major yet, it's also much harder to get into the competive programs if you have bad grades.

MIMIC

Banned
cubanb said:
in my experience, math teachers are pretty anal.

Despite that, it is in your best interest to try as hard as you can to get your grade changed. Go and plead with the professor, tell the professor about the missing points if that is indeed a dealbreaker for you getting credit. And if the professor refuses to do so, call the math department or your counselour for whatever your school has and look into a petition for a grade change citing the error in midterm grading as the reason

Well, both my professor and my TA are pretty nice guys, so there just MIGHT be some hope with them if I seem legitimate in my plea.

MIMIC

Banned
ChrisReid said:
Just tough it out and accept the grade you got.

Just remember that you'll be able to graduate with occasional D+'s, but when firms are trying to narrow down applicants, college grades can be a deciding factor. Also much harder to get into graduate school with poor grades. If you don't have a major yet, it's also much harder to get into the competive programs if you have bad grades.

Huh?

Well, anyway, I'm gonna try my luck with both guys. Gotta get some sleep if I'm gonna plead my little lazy heart out. :)

lexy

You should be 100% honest with your teacher. Tell them exactly what work you have done and why you didn't do the work when you were supposed to. Even though it was after the fact, you still did the homework and that counts for something. Most teachers don't want you to fail. I've found that if you communicate with them they usually give you the benefit of the doubt.

cubanb

Banned
worst case scenario is the grade won't change, but you take the class over and get a grade way better than the d+ or even c- you might have got. This should replace the other D+ grade in the gpa calculation. Id check that with your counselor too because all schools differ

goodcow

A D+ is basically a "you failed, but I'm passing you anyway."

I don't think you'll get it changed... but I suppose it can't hurt to try. Unless he decides to change it to an F.

Rorschach

MIMIC said:
First of all, the blame for my grade rests entirely on me, and I can honestly say that I've learned my slacker lesson. :)
No, you haven't. Not yet, anyway. Maybe a couple more Ds or a Fail and you might get it. This thread proves that you haven't learned shit. This is a lesson you needed to learn in HS, but since you dodged it, it's catching up with you now.

Wendo

Vasectomember
Bring in all of the homework. Do corrections on past exams. Basically show him that you're totally ready to take the next course in the series, and that despite low grades in the course, you've still learned a good deal and are ready to move on.

cubanb

Banned
Wendo said:
Bring in all of the homework. Do corrections on past exams. Basically show him that you're totally ready to take the next course in the series, and that despite low grades in the course, you've still learned a good deal and are ready to move on.
that is probably a very good idea. Because all he will want to know is that you are ready for the next course. good advice wendo

MIMIC

Banned
Rorschach said:
No, you haven't. Not yet, anyway. Maybe a couple more Ds or a Fail and you might get it. This thread proves that you haven't learned shit. This is a lesson you needed to learn in HS, but since you dodged it, it's catching up with you now.

Out of all the advice, I think that this is the most helpful. Seriously thanks.

You've given me a lot to mull.

EDIT: And furthermore, are you suggesting that I should have slacked off in high school and learn my leason THEN?

Wow...again, thanks for that indispensable pearl of wisdom.

Wendo said:

Thanx. I'm definitely going to bring my homework that I didn't turn in.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
MIMIC said:
Out of all the advice, I think that this is the most helpful. Seriously thanks.

You've given me a lot to mull.

Thanx. I'm definitely going to bring my homework that I didn't turn in.

He has a good point though. You slacked off all semester and are now trying to get your grade changed. Meet with your professor for sure, but it'd be best if you accepted your grade and prepared to move on from here.

MIMIC

Banned
levious said:
He has a good point though. You slacked off all semester and are now trying to get your grade changed. Meet with your professor for sure, but it'd be best if you accepted your grade and prepared to move on from here.

It's not like I failed miserably and I'm asking for a passing grade. I'm only 10 points away from a C. And I'm just now remembering my TA saying that our professor is pretty understanding about changing grades if you're really close to something desirable...so, I fit that criterion, AND I'm willing to work for it.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
MIMIC said:
It's not like I failed miserably and I'm asking for a passing grade. I'm only 10 points away from a C. And I'm just now remembering my TA saying that our professor is pretty understanding about changing grades if you're really close to something desirable...so, I fit that criterion, AND I'm willing to work for it.

Should I be an ass and point out (something already pointed out and something you already know) that if you had done just a little more work during the semester you wouldn't even bein this situation.

No I won't point that out.. cause you already now.

Damn slacker. ;) Seriously though I wish you luck on getting that grade change.

Dilbert

Rorschach said:
Quoted for truth.

MIMIC, you can call him an asshole all you want, but he's exactly on point. College is all about making your own choices...and dealing with the consequences. You admitted to slacking off -- if I were your professor, I wouldn't cut you ANY kind of deal. Being lazy is not an extenuating circumstance.

MIMIC said:

Only 10 points? Isn't 10 points a full letter grade?

Try if you want, but if he doesn't seem willing to change your grade in the beginning, I wouldn't chase it. I've gotten bad grades before, and I'd rather not be known to the faculty as a guy who whines to get better grades.

keeblerdrow said:
I think your mom could probably help.

I agree. She'd probably be better at giving head :)

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
-jinx- said:
Quoted for truth.

MIMIC, you can call him an asshole all you want, but he's exactly on point. College is all about making your own choices...and dealing with the consequences. You admitted to slacking off -- if I were your professor, I wouldn't cut you ANY kind of deal. Being lazy is not an extenuating circumstance.

Indeed. I hope you don't get that C, you certainly don't deserve it.

Get on your knees, fool :D

I got a D- in Calculus. For most of the semester, I had no idea what the fuck was going on (Implicit Differentiation and Related Rates were impossible for me to do and fucked up my whole semester). The only thing I had to do was to retake the class. I went with a whole new format (small class this time vs. lecture last semester) and am doing much better overall.

I think you should take your losses, retake it again, kick ass at it, and have it replace your crappy grade.

MIMIC

Banned
Only 10 points? Isn't 10 points a full letter grade?

10 points woud equal two percentage points.

-jinx- said:
Quoted for truth.

Indeed. I hope you don't get that C, you certainly don't deserve it.

Fortunately, none of you pessimists² have any say in it.

I went in to see him, and he wasn't there, so I left him a note. One of his friends (who is also a professor) was there, and we got to talking and the conversation eventually took us to talking about my present situation.

He would have allowed me to make-up the work right then and there; he was really helpful and understanding and told me how I should go about it.

I mean, damn...I KNOW I don't deserve it but you guys are like really digging deep to play Mr. Asshole Professor.

Dilbert

MIMIC said:
I mean, damn...I KNOW I don't deserve it
Look, guy, YOU are the one admitting that you don't deserve a better grade. So why are you trying to get a better grade?

It's called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY, and I don't know what the fuck they are teaching the kids these days, because you don't seem to have it.

MIMIC

Banned
-jinx- said:
Look, guy, YOU are the one admitting that you don't deserve a better grade. So why are you trying to get a better grade?

I don't deserve to be HANDED the credit.

So MIMIC, how'd it go?

MIMIC said:
I went in to see him, and he wasn't there, so I left him a note. One of his friends (who is also a professor) was there, and we got to talking and the conversation eventually took us to talking about my present situation.

He would have allowed me to make-up the work right then and there; he was really helpful and understanding and told me how I should go about it.

He won't be back until Monday.

shoplifter

Bitch about the 12 points. Take a copy of the test in, and prove it. You earned the points, they should be counted.

Other than that, lesson learned.

edit: I fail to see how people can say 'you don't deserve a C-' when he actually earned one when the 12 points are counted. Dont' even go into the 'well he doesn't deserve them' shit, because he should get credit for everything he did, regardless of whether or not you think he worked hard enough to deserve them.

\/\/ then strike the whole of my post, you deserve what you get. i know from experience.

MIMIC

Banned
shoplifter said:
Bitch about the 12 points. Take a copy of the test in, and prove it. You earned the points, they should be counted.

Other than that, lesson learned.

No...they WERE counted. We all pointed out the error after he passed back the exams.

It's the 10 points that I'm trying to get.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
thought of another option... tell him you're willing to take an incomplete (or whatever your school may call it) and work independently next term on some project that he chooses for a better grade.

A few posters suggested getting your parents involved. I'm not sure whether or not they were serious, but I'll assume they were giving honest advice. Here's mine: don't. There's nothing teachers hate more than a kid getting his bitchy parents involved in an educational matter. I was in my high school's 'advanced program' (style over substance, style over substance), and, let me tell you, my fellow students' parents were absolute assholes to teachers. My uncle, who happened to teach at the same school as a physics/science dude was very vocal about how much he was annoyed by students circumventing the student-teacher relationship to get the parents involved--parents who would often complain about little Willie not getting a 98% on a test, or how young Stephanie's average no longer was 99%.

Be up front with your teacher, only resorting to mommy and daddy should more serious things come into play like discrimination, sexual harassment, etc.

To the parents at this board: having a healthy relationship with your child's teachers is good, but when you start doing shit for them, you've overstepped your bounds.

But since you never planned on going through your parents, my advice is worthless :). And As Will Smith says when he's having sex, "You brought this on Yoself, woman!"

MIMIC

Banned
OpinionatedCyborg said:
A few posters suggested getting your parents involved. I'm not sure whether or not they were serious...

They were kidding; it's an old joke that this forum just won't let go. :)

MIMIC said:
They were kidding; it's an old joke that this forum just won't let go. :)

Much like 6.8, C-, and 'teh Megaton'? Yeah, I've noticed this community has its fair shair of inside jokes, but that's to be expected when it's been around for so long.

It's not a joke. It's a fuckton of bad Karma MIMIC and his mommy sent out into the educational system his senior year in high school.

Diablos

MIMIC, this is quite the opposite from your previous attitude towards school. They're tearing you apart. You should have never posted this.

nitewulf

usually it's easier for girls. during my engineering schooling, girls always nagged the professors to death and got Cs raised to Bs and Bs raised to As.
then there were the guys that nagged. that was just sad.

MIMIC

Banned
keeblerdrow said:
It's not a joke. It's a fuckton of bad Karma MIMIC and his mommy sent out into the educational system his senior year in high school.

Everybody seems to forget: my mother actually never got involved.

The irony. The totally forgotten irony.

Diablos said:
MIMIC, this is quite the opposite from your previous attitude towards school. They're tearing you apart. You should have never posted this.

This is an isolated incident. :p

So if 10 points is 2% of your final grade, you had a chance for 500 points over the semester? If that's the case, it'd have helped if you said that earlier. I thought you were expecting the professor to be lenient over 10 percentage points. And that would be entering blow job + reach around territory for sure.

miyuru

If I was the prof., I wouldn't give you the mark. To me, you got the mark you deserve...so why would I give a fuck past that?

Hopefully your teacher is a softie though. It's also the fact that you may not be the only person in your situation, so in a sense it'd be unfair to bump up your mark, y'know? Even if you're the only one to go in and ask. IMO it doesn't prove much when you'll come in wanting to discuss getting a better mark, seeing as to how the rest of the semester, you wouldn't hand in your homework.

I don't mean to be an asshole or anything, honestly, and yeah for your sake, I hope you get a better mark. It's just annoying to people like me who actually try hard in school :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom