• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it fair that (OG/Slim) PS4 users have to install patches for the Pro?

Coxy100

Banned
We all have limited space on our hard drives. Personally I have a 2TB hard drive, but many PS4 users still have the stock 500GB.

Now unless I'm wrong - I've noticed all of the updates / patches coming through the last couple of days. These patches are for the Pro update.

Now I have no idea how much the additional Pro update takes up for each game (it might be peanuts). But if it's a big one (and going forward they may well be).... is it right that us non Pro owners will have to have more space on our hard drive for all of these patches which we won't be able to take advantage of?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
All PS4 Pro patches also include HDR support for "OG" users, so it's not just wasted space.

Lnds500

Is it fair that players that didn't play multiplayer got multi patches? Same for DLC content, side quest content etc. Besides, I don't think Pro patches have been this big so far.

Does the actual size of the game get raised by a lot?

OddSockZA

Well yes, as they're essentially the same games. The only way to split it up would be to have them listed as separate games, which would kill interoperability and multiplayer between Pro/Non Pro versions.

Is it fair that players that didn't play multiplayer got multi patches? Same for DLC content, side quest content etc. Besides, I don't think Pro patches have been this big so far.

Does the actual size of the game get raised by a lot?
This.

And doesn't patches for most games overwrite older patches?

Orayn

Most Pro patches aren't large because they don't include new assets. Also, everyone is getting HDR thanks to the firmware update.

nOoblet16

Well yes, as they're essentially the same games. The only way to split it up would be to have them listed as separate games, which would kill interoperability and multiplayer between Pro/Non Pro versions.

Should it not be optional though? Considering it'll only benefit people with Pro/HDR TV and makes no difference for people who don't own either of those.

I could see this being a pain for folks with metered connections at the moment - lots of very large patches for otherwise dormant games.

I don't think they'll take up much extra space on the hard drive though.

M3d10n

These patches are only code and modified shaders (which are tiny pieces of code). Games won't be using higher quality textures, models, FMV and sounds (which are the things that take actual space) on the Pro, because that's not what the increased specs are for. Increasing the resolution doesn't need to increase texture resolution (and it wouldn't even be possible since the Pro has the same amount of RAM as the standard).

Now, the downloads themselves may end up being big due to the stupid way many PS4 games are packaged (where changing one small file causes a whole bunch of large unchanged files to be re-downloaded).

Alucrid

Banned
uh, going forward that shit will be baked in and aside from the launch titles you probably won't be seeing a plethora of titles being updated for the pro

Fliesen

Devs want every owner of their game to be on the same version of the game, and not some weird "1.06" and "1.06p" shit

Every game's gonna be a 'pro' game going forward anyways.

bombshell

These patches are only code and modified shaders (which are tiny pieces of code). Games won't be using higher quality textures, models, FMV and sounds (which are the things that take actual space) on the Pro, because that's not what the increased specs are for. Increasing the resolution doesn't need to increase texture resolution (and it wouldn't even be possible since the Pro has the same amount of RAM as the standard).

Now, the downloads themselves may end up being big due to the stupid way many PS4 games are packaged (where changing one small file causes a whole bunch of large unchanged files to be re-downloaded).

The extra memory on PS4 Pro allows us to activate our ultra textures that have higher resolution over the standard PS4. The ultra textures add extra surface detail to everything in the game including first person weapons, arms, zeds, and the levels themselves.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...ancements-detailed-open-beta-starts-tomorrow/

Should it not be optional though? Considering it'll only benefit people with Pro/HDR TV and makes no difference for people who don't own either of those.

Are dlc and multiplayer patches optional for those that don't use them? It is the same thing. The game is being patched, whether you use them or not is up to you.

Arkeband

Banned
This.

And doesn't patches for most games overwrite older patches?

They aren't additive - patch size is based on what files are being replaced with newer files. So if there's one line of code being changed in some behemoth 2GB file, the patch is 2GB, but there's no overall size difference after it's applied.

nOoblet16

Are dlc and multiplayer patches optional for those that don't use them? It is the same thing. The game is being patched, whether you use them or not is up to you.

??
The vast majority of DLC downloads are indeed optional. Infact they are optional even if you own them.
For example you can buy the COD DLC or season pass and you won't really have it installed until you specifically download them...for non DLC owners they never have to download them.

Multiplayer patches aren't since they affect everybody including non DLC owners, here they don't as they only affect pro/HDR owners so it's not the same.

I think this will only affect launch titles and old titles. From November and forward, games will release with the data on the disc. I also doubt that the ps4 pro features addition will take a lot of space.

First world problems. Is it fair that extra space is taken up on my hard drive for other languages when I only speak English?

Harp

The games most likely need to be the same version. Also if they didn't do it this way. We would have a monthly thread about why they don't just patch the games to include the pro patch every time some buys a pro and does a hard drive transfer.

Fbh

Lots of devs put entire DLC's in their patches (for everyone, even those who don't own the DLC) and have been doing so for years.

I don't see how this is different.
If anything it's better as the update sizes should be smaller and you are still getting something from it (HDR support even on the regular Ps4)

Ricker

Regular PS4s can use the HDR features that are also found within those patches.

Not if you dont have a HDR set or in other words a 4K HDTV because there are no 1080p HDTV's with HDR...OP has a good point,why will I be forced to install patches that will have zero effect on a OG PS4 on a 1080p HDTV with no HDR.

antibolo

Banned
A lot of games are already wasting our bandwidth and storage by including all DLC assets in patches.

Not having to worry about different "versions" of the game installed makes things simpler for devs. It also makes sure the end-user has everything it can possibly be able to use, without having to go get more stuff.

Top Bottom