• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it just me or is this movie year very boring?

Spyxos

Gold Member
I usually look forward to several movies every year. And there are also a few surprises that I discovered unexpectedly. This year looks very grim, apart from Dune 2 there's nothing I want to watch at all. I have a cinema year pass, but it looks like I will be using it very little. Is it just me or do others feel the same?

The Big Lebowski Reaction GIF

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I mostly agree. For me:

Dune 2 - matinee
Deadpool 3 - opening weekend!
Furiosa - matimee
Ballerina - matinee cuz Ana De Armas
Bad Boys 4 - skip
A Quiet Place Day One - skip
Twisters - skip unless it gets good reviews
Alien Romulus - opening weekend!
Madam Webb - lmao
Joker 2 - skip, don’t care how popular this is or the reviews it gets, this did not need a sequel!

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Hollywood producers and studios are way too stuck up in their own ass to greenlight original material. Been that way for quite some time now.

I can’t believe people are still watching super hero movies… Damn, I mean even if I’d like them I’d be sick of them by now. Is there any big actor who hasn’t had a Marvel role yet. Everyone’s cashing in. 20+ years ago no one with self respect would have done this… Clown show.

Only Dune 2 for me because I liked part one and Villeneuve is my favourite director.

Last edited:
Probably my lot this year from the look of things. I'll definitely see these at the cinema and hopefully a physical purchase further down the line.

Dune: Part 2
Deadpool 3
Joker Folie a Deux
Alien Romulus

I haven't been since 2004.
I have never seen a digitally-projected movie.

For me, it's not the issue of it being digital, just 99 percent of movies have been agenda pushing crap for the past 10 years. Even if they they change their tune and start to aim stuff at me as a straight brown man, I'm done, Hollywood had fucked around too much, letting me know how much they hate me as a customer. I'm never going back.

There are other factors too, but that's one of my main factors

Last edited:

manfestival

It's just you, I went to about 80 movies last year, there's a lot more good stuff out there than just the few big releases.
Yo that is wild... so like what were the best movies of last year? I saw only like 4 in theaters I think but it really felt like a dry year for watching different movies compared to the years of past.

Yo that is wild... so like what were the best movies of last year? I saw only like 4 in theaters I think but it really felt like a dry year for watching different movies compared to the years of past.

I didn't watch these in theaters

But I loved Oppenheimer, Super Mario Bros Movie, John Wick 4 and When Evil Lurks

I know there were a few Horror movies that came out last year that I loved too

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
best movies of last year:

killers of flower moon
ferrari
oppenheimer
the holdovers
the killer
anatomy of a fall
past lives
reality
society of the snow
dumb money

haven't seen yet:
american fiction
zone of interest

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
That's funny, I already went 6 times this month lol.
Anyway you can find the list of my visits below, in reverse order, I don't really feel like going over all of them, but you can ask about specific ones:
  1. IN THE LAND OF SAINTS AND SINNERS
  2. NEXT GOAL WINS
  3. IT'S A WONDERFUL KNIFE
  4. AQUAMAN AND THE LOST KINGDOM
  5. MIGRATION
  6. WONKA
  7. PLEASE DON'T DESTROY
  8. SILENT NIGHT
  9. THE BOY AND THE HERON
  10. GODZILLA MINUS ONE
  11. FREELANCE
  12. THANKSGIVING
  13. WISH
  14. THE MARVELS
  15. LORD OF THE RINGS: RETURN OF THE KING
  16. LORD OF THE RINGS: FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
  17. KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON
  18. DEAR DAVID
  19. FIVE NIGHTS AT FREDDY'S
  20. THE KILLER
  21. DEAD SHOT
  22. SAW X
  23. DOGGY STYLE
  24. THE EXORCIST: BELIEVER
  25. RETRIBUTION
  26. THE CREATOR
  27. EXPEND4BLES
  28. IT LIVES INSIDE
  29. A HAUNTING IN VENICE
  30. THE NUN II
  31. THE EQUALIZER 3
  32. COBWEB
  33. BLUE BEETLE
  34. TALK TO ME
  35. THE LAST VOYAGE OF THE DEMETER
  36. MEG 2: THE TRENCH
  37. OPPENHEIMER
  38. BARBIE
  39. ELEMENTAL (OV)
  40. MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - DEAD RECKONING PART ONE
  41. RESIDENT EVIL: DEATH ISLAND
  42. INSIDIOUS: THE RED DOOR
  43. JOY RIDE
  44. INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY
  45. THE FLASH
  46. RUBY GILLMAN, TEENAGE KRAKEN
  47. HYPNOTIC
  48. NO HARD FEELINGS
  49. THE FLASH
  50. TRANSFORMERS: RISE OF THE BEASTS
  51. THE BOOGEYMAN
  52. SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER VERSE
  53. TRANSFUSION
  54. RENFIELD
  55. FAST X
  56. KNIGHTS OF THE ZODIAC
  57. GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3
  58. EVIL DEAD RISE
  59. THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE
  60. EVIL DEAD RISE
  61. SUZUME
  62. AIR
  63. THE POPE'S EXORCIST
  64. THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE
  65. DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: HONOR AMONG THIEVES
  66. JOHN WICK 4
  67. 65
  68. SHAZAM! FURY OF THE GODS
  69. SCREAM VI
  70. THE OLD WAY
  71. CREED III
  72. COCAINE BEAR
  73. MISSING
  74. ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA
  75. KNOCK AT THE CABIN
  76. PUSS IN BOOTS: THE LAST WISH
  77. PLANE
  78. OPERATION FORTUNE: RUSE DE GUERRE
  79. DEVOTION
  80. M3GAN

Last edited:

DKehoe

It's already out in the US but for the rest of us The Iron Claw is out soon;

Really looking forward to this. It was annoying to have such a delay between the release in America and here in the U.K. but like you said it’s nearly here.

The “everything is shit now” doom and gloom attitude some seem to have is so dull.

bitbydeath

There’s a few I’m interested in:

Lisa Frankenstien
Ghostbusters
The Fall Guy
The Claw
If
Ballerina
Twisters
Deadpool 3
Borderlands
Alien Romulus
Beetlejuice 2
Gladiator 2
Nosferatu

Zelduh

Every year has been a terrible movie year for a while now, and people are crazy and have lost their theater manners ever since 2020 so it's not even worth going anymore

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Every year has been a terrible movie year for a while now, and people are crazy and have lost their theater manners ever since 2020 so it's not even worth going anymore

Weird... The theaters I've gone to have been perfectly fine with well behaved adults and teens.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
The only movie that I'm looking forward to is Dune 2 and the new Planet of the Apes. Only good movie last year for me was When Evil Lurks. Oppenheimer was horrible and underwhelming. Has that hack ever put anything good out besides Memento, Prestige and cape shit?

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I mostly agree. For me:

Dune 2 - matinee
Deadpool 3 - opening weekend!
Furiosa - matimee
Ballerina - matinee cuz Ana De Armas
Bad Boys 4 - skip
A Quiet Place Day One - skip
Twisters - skip unless it gets good reviews
Alien Romulus - opening weekend!
Madam Webb - lmao
Joker 2 - skip, don’t care how popular this is or the reviews it gets, this did not need a sequel!
There's a Twister sequel coming out? Wow, that's gonna be a rare trip to the cinema for me. I loved the original and I'm generally a sucker for tornado flicks. I even enjoyed Into the Storm despite several dumbass scenes.

Top Bottom