• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it just me or is this movie year very boring?

Trilobit

Years past I always looked forward to the summer popcorn movies. Transformers 1 and The Dark Knight are some of my most cherished movie theater memories. But I don't think we'll get something like that until Marvel and Disney movies die.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I mostly agree. For me:

Dune 2 - matinee
Deadpool 3 - opening weekend!
Furiosa - matimee
Ballerina - matinee cuz Ana De Armas
Bad Boys 4 - skip
A Quiet Place Day One - skip
Twisters - skip unless it gets good reviews
Alien Romulus - opening weekend!
Madam Webb - lmao
Joker 2 - skip, don’t care how popular this is or the reviews it gets, this did not need a sequel!
Joker 2 as musical 🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮🤮. What a great way to ruin a movie.

Valedix

I mostly agree. For me:

Dune 2 - matinee
Deadpool 3 - opening weekend!
Furiosa - matimee
Ballerina - matinee cuz Ana De Armas
Bad Boys 4 - skip
A Quiet Place Day One - skip
Twisters - skip unless it gets good reviews
Alien Romulus - opening weekend!
Madam Webb - lmao
Joker 2 - skip, don’t care how popular this is or the reviews it gets, this did not need a sequel!
Perfect description of madam webb lmao

Doom85

That's funny, I already went 6 times this month lol.
Anyway you can find the list of my visits below, in reverse order, I don't really feel like going over all of them, but you can ask about specific ones:

friday ice GIF

That’s a really impressive list!

Tnis year, I absolutely loved Oppenheimer, Spider-man: Across the Spider-verse, Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, The Boy and the Heron, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, and Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning
Part 1.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, The Flash, The Creator, Transformers: Rise of the Beasts, and M3gan were a lot of fun. And there were some fairly good ones like Knock at the Cabin, Scream 6, Renfield, and Talk to Me.

Some I would consider just okay were Shazam 2, Ant-man 3, Aquaman 2, Blue Beetle, Mario Bros, Five Nights at Freddy’s, and Insidious 5. Only superhero film I thought was weak was The Marvels (should have just been a Ms. Marvel film, Brie is good in other roles but sucks as Carol, and Monica needs more development elsewhere before trying to shove her in a team).

Still want to see Air, Plane (pun not intended with those first two movies, LOL), Wonka, Evil Dead Rise, Creed 3, Puss in Boots 2, Cocaine Bear, Barbie, Last Voyage of the Demeter, Godzilla, and Haunting in Venice.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Still want to see Air, Plane (pun not intended with those first two movies, LOL), Wonka, Evil Dead Rise, Creed 3, Puss in Boots 2, Cocaine Bear, Barbie, Last Voyage of the Demeter, Godzilla, and Haunting in Venice.
Puss in boots was super, super good, definitely watch that one.
Cocaine bear was pretty fun, because the premise is so silly
Wonka I enjoyed quite a bit, it's very well made; it's production values reminded me of a series of unfortunate events on netflix.
Air was a very compelling watch, interesting to see what Nike had to do to turn things around
Plane was very cool, just a kickass action movie
Barbie I enjoyed as well, I don't watch trailers/previews so I didn't expect it to have so many comedic/surreal elements.
Creed 3, was alright, the fights were good but everything in between is just fluff.
Haunting in venice was well made, but I didn't think it was super great, just a decent watch overall
Last voyage of the demeter I thought was pretty awesome, mostly because of the setting and the nasty/brutal look of the vampire
Godzilla was really great, a bit predictable though.
I'm a big fan of the evil dead franchise and I thought Rise kicked ass, but that could just be my bias.

Edit: also yeah, I didn't expect to love dungeons and dragons as much as I did, it was totally awesome.

Last edited:

Doom85

Puss in boots was super, super good, definitely watch that one.
Cocaine bear was pretty fun, because the premise is so silly
Wonka I enjoyed quite a bit, it's very well made; it's production values reminded me of a series of unfortunate events on netflix.
Air was a very compelling watch, interesting to see what Nike had to do to turn things around
Plane was very cool, just a kickass action movie
Barbie I enjoyed as well, I don't watch trailers/previews so I didn't expect it to have so many comedic/surreal elements.
Creed 3, was alright, the fights were good but everything in between is just fluff.
Haunting in venice was well made, but I didn't think it was super great, just a decent watch overall
Last voyage of the demeter I thought was pretty awesome, mostly because of the setting and the nasty/brutal look of the vampire
Godzilla was really great, a bit predictable though.
I'm a big fan of the evil dead franchise and I thought Rise kicked ass, but that could just be my bias.

Edit: also yeah, I didn't expect to love dungeons and dragons as much as I did, it was totally awesome.

Great Job Reaction GIF

Sounds like I’ve got plenty to look forward to!

Top Bottom