• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it normal for Sony to ban your PSN account if it gets compromised?

A.J.

Banned
As a preface I have had 2FA enabled since it was first added and my password is unique to PSN.

So two days ago I was kicked offline while receiving the message my account had been banned. Confused as to what was the cause I checked my email. There wasn't any email about the ban, but I had received a refund from Sony on Paypal for my recent purchases from the last two days. So I called Sony support thinking that my Paypal was the problem, but the representative informed me that wasn't the case. They simply stated my account had been banned because it was compromised. The representative wouldn't give me any more information unfortunately and simply stated that a technician would unban my account in 24-48 business hours (Friday night being the worst time for this to occur obviously). And when my account was unbanned they would then let me reset my password.

So more or less my main point is the question in the title. Is it normal for Sony to ban a compromised account while they reset it? I can't seem to find any similar cases to mine from a cursory google search so I was hoping some of you could alleviate my concerns.

Ultima_5

after dealing with sony when my account got banned, i wouldn't be surprised. sorry you had to deal with that dude

Capella

Like others have said, it is normal for them to do that. Though, even though they said it wasn't your Paypal it kind of seems like they thought someone made unauthorized purchases since they refunded you your recent ones.

Chesskid1

Banned
yea i was hacked before, i caught it (they added $50), asked for refund (which was approved), next day i was banned

Top Bottom