• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it possible to restore yellowed NES and SNES systems?

I was just cleaning my NES and SNES and I noticed that with time and contact with sunlight, parts of them have become kinda yellowed. Is there any way to restore the casing to its original grey color? Will bleach work, or would that just turn it white? Can anyone help me fix this, or am I stuck with a yellowed NES and SNES for the rest of my days?

Edit: Also, what year did SNES come out? 19991 or 1992?

Well, fuck. I found this on some random message board:

i talked to an old man who restored old am radios as a hobby and he
told me that you can get the yellow out of old plastic by dunking the yellowed part in 100% un-diluted chlorine bleach overnight. according to this old
timer, it turns white by morning. then just give it some polish to restore it's shine.
he says it works for those old 50's plastic radios so if it does
in fact work then i don't see why it won't work on a snes.
I'm willing to take apart my SNES to get it to at least white, since it seems like I won't be able to get it back to grey without painting it. But, what the hell kind of screwdriver do I use to get the case open?

WordAssassin said:
Edit: Also, what year did SNES come out? 19991 or 1992?
1990 in Japan, 1991 in US, and apparently 1992 in Europe (going by the 1992 UK release for Super Mario World listed at MobyGames.)

Well, thanks for the US release date. I've done some google searching and it looks like I'm going to have to make my own GameBit screwdrivers to take apart my SNES, and then repaint it. I'm afraid if I try soaking it in bleach it'll either melt the shell, or cause it to become very brittle and crack.

I guess I just need to find out what kinds of paints stick to plastics now. (There must be some, as there are all kinds of console-modders and painters out there, right?)

Oh, and for those of you wanting to make your own GameBit screwdriver, check this action out.

HA! I thought only my SNES turned yellow, I guess I'm not alone out there. Classic Adidas also turn yellow...none of my other shoes ever have and no I didn't piss on them.

Apparently the first batch of SNESes were made with cheap plastic that, when it oxidizes, turns yellow. Nintendo corrected the problem, but there were lots of spare parts from the shitty run left. So there are SNESes out there that are all yellow, part yellow and part grey, and all grey. I have a first batch SNES that's still pretty grey, and a middle batch SNES that's all yellow except for the cart slot and the controller ports. So I'm going to have to take it apart and spraypaint it grey.

:(

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I have a SNES where the top piece if yellow and a SNES where the bottom piece is yellow. I've considered pulling them apart to make a PERFECT SNES, but I figured I should get a working power cord first :(

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Yes, put in the microwave at 30% power for 6-8 minutes.

[/xbot]

XeMinus

The only piece of my PAL SNES (Super Nintendo as we called it here in Spain) that remains grey is the piece at the front with the Nintendo and SNES logos.

The SNES was launched in Spain in June, 1992.
("En Junio llega a España el Cerebro de la Bestia" = "The Brain of the Beast arrives to Spain in June")
(Those were great times...)

Grug

Europe/Jap/Australian SNES >>>>>>>>>> US SNES

snes.jpg

Way better design than the US atrocity.

snes.jpg

Top Bottom