• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it time for the return of the Duke? Xbox Controllers are too small..

Fitzchiv

I'm a big fan of what Xbox has done with controllers. The 360 controller remains one of the very best ever made, and Xbox have rightly stayed close to that design since...but why are they so small? Now I'm no 6ft 5" beefcake swinging his cyber-wang around about the size of his hands...I'm a normal sized western male and I've got to say the ergonomics of the Elite 2, for example, leave my hands aching not because of the paddles (a great innovation) but just the overall size.

So recently I picked up an excellent condition OG Xbox, and with it came a Duke. My god...it's like a duvet for my hands. Just miles, miles better than the more modern claw hand efforts. I've noticed the difference also with the Wii U Pro Controller vs the Xbox ones. The extra size, albeit subtle, makes a big difference to the feel.

Is it just me? Or are Xbox controllers just a bit on the small side and do they need to stop trying to cater to every demographic with the same SKU? Sorry Sony fans, i've not held a Dual Sense yet but my views extend to the PS4 controller also, but there's no historical big version to get nostalgic about.

(As of writing I have just seen there's a Hyperkin Duke for the Xbox One...gamechanger)

Freaking yes please. As it stands I keep thinking I'm going to break my controllers. I have an Elite, it's by far the most solid of them all that I've ever owned, (except for the duke) but I still worry about pressing a button or pulling a trigger too hard. I can feel it squeaking and flexing like I'm torturing it or something.

OrtizTwelve

I don't see Microsoft making a larger controller nor Sony. Their sizes are as is.

The "Duke" was a hideous controller and only a small vocal minority like it. This is why quickly after launch they made the Controller S from Japan standard for all regions.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
dragon-quest-slime-wireless-controller-for-nintendo-switch-596837.1.jpg
What on earth is that monstrosity

I'm a big fan of what Xbox has done with controllers. The 360 controller remains one of the very best ever made, and Xbox have rightly stayed close to that design since...but why are they so small? Now I'm no 6ft 5" beefcake swinging his cyber-wang around about the size of his hands...I'm a normal sized western male and I've got to say the ergonomics of the Elite 2, for example, leave my hands aching not because of the paddles (a great innovation) but just the overall size.

So recently I picked up an excellent condition OG Xbox, and with it came a Duke. My god...it's like a duvet for my hands. Just miles, miles better than the more modern claw hand efforts. I've noticed the difference also with the Wii U Pro Controller vs the Xbox ones. The extra size, albeit subtle, makes a big difference to the feel.

Is it just me? Or are Xbox controllers just a bit on the small side and do they need to stop trying to cater to every demographic with the same SKU? Sorry Sony fans, i've not held a Dual Sense yet but my views extend to the PS4 controller also, but there's no historical big version to get nostalgic about.

(As of writing I have just seen there's a Hyperkin Duke for the Xbox One...gamechanger)
Eh. The current controller fits the vast majority of hands. I like that the Series controller is slightly smaller then the XBO controller and if it wasn't for the haptics and triggers on the dualsense I'd much prefer it.

I think the "new" Duke controller was a cool novelty and was fun to play an old Xbox game on but it's just that a novelty because of how gigantic it is.

Buggy Loop

iu

I’m not kidding when I say I kind of miss this controller. Played so much FFXI (MMO) on it on PS2 back in the days.

In fact, I prefer controllers that let you have your arms distanced, like the above, the Wii, the joycons detached. Bringing back my arms so close for a controller is not as comfortable.

bring on the duke XXL

Calverz

Eh you can already get the Duke for xbox series consoles. It was by hyperkin, and officially licensed. Mine is black but you can get transparent green and red. It comes with an oled screen!

EDIT: I can see you have found it. Recommend it.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

That would be a hard no.

I remember when the first S controller was introduced, it was literally like they finally got the actual design through, and had just winged it up until that point.

This is a service that Gamestop could provide. Like shoe store need to really try on before you buy.
Have various size contollers and features to try out then order up the colors your want.
I'm lucky that the new Series controller fits me just fine.

Fitzchiv

This is a service that Gamestop could provide. Like shoe store need to really try on before you buy.
Have various size contollers and features to try out then order up the colors your want.
I'm lucky that the new Series controller fits me just fine.
I guess if enough people are happy with the current size profiles there's no point, but in a future Elite iteration I'd like to be able to choose from small, medium, large for example. Subtle sizes make a big difference - for all those saying no in the thread I bet a few get some form of hand ache (from gaming...this is Gaf after all)

intbal

I don't think the current controllers are too small, but I definitely preferred the Duke to the S. And I also prefer the black/white buttons to shoulder bumpers. And I also liked the slanted cross button configuration of the Duke. And the trigger feel. And the stick shapes.

Lone Wolf

They made a Switch version of this? I almost broke down and ordered the PS2 version a couple times but then I smacked myself and realized I dont need it.

to the OP didnt they re-release the Duke controller just a couple of years ago?
Hyperkin Duke Wired Controller for Xbox One/ Windows 10 PC (Green Limited Edition) - Officially Licensed by Xbox https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GC2YSBG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They did and you can still get them. Works with Xbox one and series X/S

Last edited:
Can Microsoft please make a more affordable controller with paddles where the buttons can still be mapped? Shoot I'd pay $100, but I can't afford the Elite Series 2 at its current price. I already broke my original Elite lol. There should be an xbox controller that doesn't completely break the bank but is still a step up from the standard xbox controller. Doesn't have to have fancy grips or multiple savable profiles/configurations.

Last edited:
I liked the duke EXCEPT for the black & white buttons. Felt good in the hands. I don't necessarily miss it by any means, but I wouldn't be mad it exists either.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Let me just say that I never owned a 360 and its been 12+ years since I held one of those controllers so I don't remember.

The Duke is great, but it doesn't work for modern games with 4 shoulder buttons. I recently picked up a series controller for use with PC and it feels great, probably the nicest controller overall with "active" (palm swells and curves) ergonomics.

The button layout of the Duke should come back though. All 4 buttons were right under your thumb.

FWIW I still occasionally play my original Xbox with my brother when he's in town. We both use dukes.

Last edited:

Roufianos

The Series X controller feels kind of light and cheap, like the Sixaxis in a way. I ended up getting the Elite controller instead.

Kimahri

Banned
I loved the duke, best controller. I'm a tall guy, but it's not like my hands are monstrous, just proportionate to my body.

Controllers are too small. I cramp up if I play for long. I really wish there were options available. I mean , think about it. My and my wife have very different hand sizes, but we use the same controllers. For me they're tiny, for her they're probably what the duke was for me.

FeldMonster

While I think the Duke is too big to ever become the mainstream option again, I think the Series controllers have gone too far in the other direction. I prefer my One controllers (especially those with rubber grips and the Elite V1) over my Series X controller.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't see Microsoft making a larger controller nor Sony. Their sizes are as is.

The "Duke" was a hideous controller and only a small vocal minority like it. This is why quickly after launch they made the Controller S from Japan standard for all regions.

I think his only choice would be third party, yet I doubt he'll find something as big. But why not try customizing it yourself? Doesn't need to be so much stuff but adding size to the sides would push your hands a little bit away and probably give your fingers a more comfy reach? As I understand that his hands/fingers are being cramped.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

iu

I’m not kidding when I say I kind of miss this controller. Played so much FFXI (MMO) on it on PS2 back in the days.

In fact, I prefer controllers that let you have your arms distanced, like the above, the Wii, the joycons detached. Bringing back my arms so close for a controller is not as comfortable.

bring on the duke XXL
giphy.gif

Top Bottom