• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it time for Valve to take another crack at the Steam Machine?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
What with Phil overseeing the apparent destruction of the Xbox as a console, and Jim turning the Ps5 into a GaaS guzzling machine, is it time for our lord and saviour Sir Gaben Of Newell to have his company take another crack at the Steam Machine?

The Steam Deck has been a massive success. How about a much more powerful machine (that can rival any kind of Ps5 Pro), with the same OS as the Steam Deck, slapped underneath your TV?

I'm buying one, that's for certain. Neither Sony nor Microsoft have exactly been doing a good job of being gamer and consumer friendly in recent times. I would love a competitor with a more open source format. There might well be a space in the console market opening up, and I think valve are the best suited to slide into it.

8Tmdbgq.jpg
UJxmcmm.jpg

Last edited:
Powerful enough, though? Surely there's a good argument for an extremely powerful home console that rivals what Sony can do.
Most people don't want another box under their TV, but are open to portable experiences in the modern age. Apple iPad made it mainstream. Only mainstream alternative is VR glasses in the distant future. Some might argue streaming direct to TV, but the infrastructure is not there.

Last edited:

RickMasters

For who? It’s no replacement for an Xbox. A steam box is still just a pC in a small form factor and comes wit PC like problems for time to time.

That said… if ASUS, Corsair or gigabyte take a stab at it I’m all. I actually like their Pre builds ( like the Corsair one or any of ASID current pre builds) but if like to see it a console size form factor. With the same cool ROG or or aorus design language.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Most people don't want another box under their TV, but are open to portable experiences in the modern age. Apple iPad made it mainstream. Only mainstream alternative is VR glasses in the distant future. Some might argue streaming direct to TV, but the infrastructure is not there.

Not so sure about that. Ps5 is selling very, very well.

I think people would be interested in a Valve Steam Machine at this stage. It'd kind of be Xbox... but done properly.

And I'd love to see how Sony would cope with having to go up against a machine as powerful as theirs that isn't constricted by the idiotically high digital prices they charge.

Sony needs to be leant on hard. I think a powerful and direct Steam based rival to the Ps5 would do that job very nicely.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Nah, it's not worth it. Steamdeck works because you can't build yourself a handheld, but you can however build a minipc and install steamos on it (or use windows with bigpicture which is even better).

At what cost though? I'm talking about a dedicated games machine, the same way a Steam Deck is, at a price point to rival or beat the Ps5.

tusharngf

APU's are powerful enough. Steam box can be done cheap if AMD develops something for Steam. Another option is Nvidia as they are also bringing ARM CPUs into the market.

Slimboy Fat

I think Microsoft should release a "controller" or "gaming mode" for Windows that can be set to the default launch. Then the next "Xbox" should just be a PC at a good value which you plop down next to your TV and which acts basically like a console with the option to enable "desktop mode". If the rumors are true they're done with the console wars anyway but Windows is still going strong. They could develop their games to run well at that hardware. It might be a way for them to finally get some guys into their windows storefront on PC (if they give it an overhaul) and there they would finally have all that middleman and gamepass money they wanted so bad.

I guess the memory for such a powerful APU would be a bit unusual. Afaik there is no precedent among modern Windows PC's for a large gaming APU running GDDR as a unified pool. However, AMD is releasing "Strix Halo" which is rumored to use 256-bit lpddr5.

Microsoft has a chance to get rid of the Xbox dead weight and go all in on windows while competing against both valve and Sony for the high margain gaming revenue they've always wanted: that sweet 30% cut from the store.

Last edited:

EekTheKat

The Steam Deck right now is actually a fairly component device plugged in to a TV or monitor with a wireless controller. HDR is even working on quite a few titles when connected to an external monitor on an LCD Steam Deck, with VRR also being an option that's exposed to compatible external monitors.

Doubling down on a Steam Deck 2 and refining its docked and/or external monitor output capabilities would probably be the better play than making a dedicated standalone non mobile Steam Machines at a "low" price point. Just off the top of my head an extra USB-C like port that allows for thunderbolt/egpu on the next Steam Deck device would largely tick the box for a Steam Machines like experience.

I'm not exactly suggesting Valve make an egpu docking station for the Steam Deck, but merely adopting/adding support.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think so, considering the advancements in SteamOS and Proton, but I think a lot of their work lately on SteamOS is custom for the Deck and they'd need to generalize it, and, well, we're talking about Valve...

Sorcerer

Valve probably won't do it themselves, but once Steam OS 3 is released to the wild, we will see vendors offer machines with Steam OS built in. Of course, you can build your own.
Now the only reason I want Valve to do it is because they will make a Steam Controller 2 so it can have parity with the Steam Deck. If Vendors take on offering Steam OS 3 themselves with pre-built machines, we probably will never get that controller.

Last edited:

Bry0

Built with a modified and heavily optimized AMD amd APU like a scaled up steam deck. Small form factor mini pc and with a transmitter for wireless VR for the index 2, and call it the Steam Port.

Mr.Phoenix

All Valve has to do is make a version of their Linux-based steam deck that can be installed on anything. Intel, AMD, Nvidia... etc. But there is no reason for them to do it.

What exactly are your issues with MS/Sony?

If its games then, Valve also doesn’t make any games besides some GAAS titles.

Sorcerer

All Valve has to do is make a version of their Linux-based steam deck that can be installed on anything. Intel, AMD, Nvidia... etc. But there is no reason for them to do it.
The team that just finished the Steam Deck OLED is the same team who is going to be responsible for making Steam OS compatible with any device it can be installed on. So now that the OLED is done, the team should have started work in full force on this.

Nerd Nest Video quoting Lawerence Yang:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I made this exact type of thread a few months ago and people were not open with the idea

But now the state of Xbox is so fucking dire that people are willingly open to an all digital Steam console if it means that Xbox can fuck off forever. I love this.

Mr.Phoenix

The team that just finished the Steam Deck OLED is the same team who is going to be responsible for making Steam OS compatible with any device it can be installed on. So now that the OLED is done, the team should have started work in full force on this.

Nerd Nest Video quoting Lawerence Yang:

I have said this before, MS has been so fixated on sony that they allowed Valve literally come into their house and fuck their wife.

The second valve releases a version of Steam Deck/OS that you can install on desktop PCs and have the polish of a proper desktop OS, Microsoft and windows, will be in serious trouble.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Microsoft and windows, will be in serious trouble.
Windows will be in trouble. Microsoft? eh. I think they're so focused on their cloud and service endeavors that they really don't care what happens to Windows at this point.

A more user friendly and compatible Linux would revolutionize the desktop gaming space, but we'd need for Nvidia to be on board

I have said this before, MS has been so fixated on sony that they allowed Valve literally come into their house and fuck their wife.

The second valve releases a version of Steam Deck/OS that you can install on desktop PCs and have the polish of a proper desktop OS, Microsoft and windows, will be in serious trouble.
I wonder how much Valve actually wants to antagonize Microsoft though. It's not smart to actually make Microsoft think you're a threat to their Windows monopoly, they have a long history of destroying anyone who they even imagine threatens Windows.

Windows will be in trouble. Microsoft? eh. I think they're so focused on their cloud and service endeavors that they really don't care what happens to Windows at this point.

A more user friendly and compatible Linux would revolutionize the desktop gaming space, but we'd need for Nvidia to be on board
amd is fine on linux.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I wonder how much Valve actually wants to antagonize Microsoft though. It's not smart to actually make Microsoft think you're a threat to their Windows monopoly, they have a long history of destroying anyone who they even imagine threatens Windows.
Who said Valve wants to antagonize MS? If Valve wanted to twist the knife and damage windows they'd remove the Windows client of Steam entirely and tell everyone using Win10/11 to suck it.

They're just doing this to advance Linux gaming. If MS ever felt threatened by that, it will simply be their fault for not adhering to the demands of their consumers. And even then, with all the Office 365 money, I'm sure they don't give enough of a shit.

amd is fine on linux.
yes. That's the issue. Most people use Nvidia.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Why are people acting like stramos is not open today? Do you all understand that the reason steam os has such compatibility is because they can optimize the drivers and mods for a single configuration? Wasn't steam deck multiple machines configuration by multiple companies?

Also, if they couldn't get valve index to be a runaway success, I don't think valve machines will have a better future.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’ll take any opportunity to talk about the Steam Machine. I was lucky enough to receive one of the 300 original Steam Machines, and this was well before Big Picture was fully stable. But even with the jank of the software, the build of Valve’s Steam Machine is still easily one of the greatest, most well-built, impressive pieces of hardware I’ve ever owned. The case was made of steel, and the internal mounting was entirely bespoke (which unfortunately makes it impossible to alter/upgrade most of the hardware).

But it, to date, is the absolute best form factor of a PC I have ever seen, let alone owned. I wish a thousand times that they would revive the Steam Machine, because it was truly a wonderful piece of hardware. And now that Big Picture is fully fleshed out, it could absolutely be a legitimate competitor to consoles.

rZhVgCO.jpg

Yr82MCz.jpg

uqtvKzK.jpg
5VXbOOc.jpg

(That prototype controller was dogshit though lmao)

Soodanim

Gold Member
If they did a Steam Machine again, they would need to revive the Steam Controller project and make a successor with Steam Deck parity. I'm not too fussed about the former, but I've wanted the latter for a long time.

Sorcerer

The way Steam OS is setup with one having to re-boot to the desktop will never compete with Windows. I understand it's great for gaming to have that out of the way, but anyone who does actual work on their computers will never accept this. Valve understandably doesn't seem to care about that aspect of the OS that much.

Red5

I think Steam machines are worth another shot, back when they first released Steam OS was in its infancy and Proton was practically non existent. A Steam OS machine with Proton that can play the majority of Steam releases sounds like a great machine.

Like a supped up Steam Deck in desktop mode.

Last edited:

Three

They were just prebuilt gaming PC's. What would be the point?
Are consoles that much different? With a mass produced standardised product they can lower BOM cost of a prebuilt PC and make development and support easier. That would be the point I'd imagine. A good way of getting your steamOS platform out there, appealing to console users and possibly increasing steam store sales. What was the point of the steamdeck?

At a £400 price point I'd buy one. I have no interest in spending £000s on buying a PC but I'd like to play older PC games not available on consoles.

Top Bottom