• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Japan's entertainment industry any better than America's?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
You do know that they are 20 and 19 now. And their new stuff is even better.

But they were about 13 when they started. Always seemed a bit creepy to me that adults were into them - a bit like adults liking S Club Juniors...

Dunki

But they were about 13 when they started. Always seemed a bit creepy to me that adults were into them - a bit like adults liking S Club Juniors...
They started in an idol TV program and they were not sexualized. They never did gravure shoots, photo albums etc. There was really no sexual atmosphere around them.

Cybrwzrd

Banned

As D Dunki says, they have never been sexualized though. I got to see them live back in May and it was seriously one of the best shows I've ever been to. Completely packed venue, and the crowd ranged from metal heads to otaku, to Japanese ex-pats who put Babymetal shirts on over their dress shirts and ties.

Elfstar

I see Japanese entertainment more as a way to escape USA's axfisiating cultural colonialism. I don't think it's necessarily better, it's just the kind of taste and sensibility that i grew up with.
I especially tend to like anime, manga and videogames way more than their american counterparts, even though i find their live action entertainment (most movies, tv content of any kind) terribly lackluster (of course, they have way lower budgets).
But, to be honest, i don't like the exasperated focus on otaku-ness in their modern pop culture, and i find it the least appealing of the last 40 years or so.
Still, i'd rather watch whatever dumb fujobait animeshit than any huge american blockbuster superhero movie.

Last edited:

Dunki

I see Japanese entertainment more as a way to escape USA's axfisiating cultural colonialism. I don't think it's necessarily better, it's just the kind of taste that i grew up with.
I especially tend to like anime, manga and videogames way more than their american counterparts, even though i find their live action entertainment (most movies, tv content of any kind) terribly lackluster.
But, to be honest, i don't like the exasperated focus on otaku-ness in their modern pop culture, and i find it the least appealing of the last 40 years or so.
Still, i'd rather watch whatever dumb fujobait animeshit than any huge american blockbuster superhero movie.
I think Japanese TV Series especially are more engaging. Yes there is a ton of shit there as well. But the big advantage is that it is mostly not done in seasons. There is one series which mostly has 11-12 episodes and then the story they wanted to tell is done. Yes very popular ones also get more seasons after years but there is not a constant need to watch them each week etc.

Also they feature more interesting characters, stories because they also end and even direction. The disadvantage is that because every thing ends there is a TON of series coming out every 3 months so to filter to all the trash is a bit time consuming. But literally everything with Takuya Kimura is worth Watching^^

Also there are a lot of different genre and variety here as well. It is ot only suspense, and comedy. There is drama, horror, romance, some really sad shows etc. Personally I think it has gone down since the golden 90-2000 but maybe that is just me and my taste. Still each year I always find something interesting to watch. With US series there is barely any.

Top Bottom