• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is knowing the actor for a character immersion breaking? (Troy Baker)

supernova8

Banned
This is a pretty good topic actually. Just kinda disappointed of the responses but it's to be expected. I think alot of people don't really care about voice actors like that in the gaming realm.

For me, it's tiring hearing the big 3 in all the video games. I wish the devs took the time to find new and underground talent. The problem is that the Union is backed by them. Which is why we hear the Nolan North's, Troy Baker's, Travis Willingham's, Laura Bailey's, etc. Might as well call them the Banana Crew cause they always with each other lol.

I think what was even worse was Kojima dumping Hayter for Sutherland. What a fucking cunt move. At least with PT/Silent Hills he wasn't necessarily replacing anyone because those games are sort of self-contained anyway.

Hayter is Snake and Snake is Hayter.

Anytime I hear troy or Nolan, I associate their voice with Nathan drake and Joel so yeah I would prefer new voice actors that we don't know about.

Hearing the same voices over and over again in so many games really breaks immersion.

Honestly, really just kind of sick of Troy Baker in general. He's a great VA, but instantly recognizable. That alone breaks immersion.

He's even the fuckin Maw in The Medium...

Yo look at this sick chase scene I hope Troy Baker doesn't catch me hahaha so fun

You always hear the same handful of famous voice actors in every single video game so it's a breath of fresh air to play RDR2 where relatively new voice actors get a chance and every single one of them does an outstanding job with their characters.

I play Arkham Knight occasionally to watch Laura Bailey and Troy Baker talk to themselves

Laura Bailey - IMDb

Troy Baker - IMDb

It can be, but only when the actor's voice is distinctive. Troy Baker and Laura Bailey's voices are quite malleable and they can do different accents and tones depending on the characters they play.

A much better example would have Nolan North. When he does Nathan Drake voice in non-Uncharted games it's just plain jarring. As a player, you can't get past the fact that you're hearing Drake's voice on a different character.

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
Doug Cockle - voice of Geralt - is the only one I can think of. I love him as Geralt, but when he turns up elsewhere doing the same voice, I'm just like 'oh, it's Geralt'. Jarring. You also hear Matt Mercer playing every NPC ever, which is kind of hilarious, but the one you hear everywhere, that no-one ever mentions is Fred Tatasciore.

Last edited:
I'm playing Avengers now, and it's a little distracting whenever Bruce Banner is talking. And his dialogue is extremely cringe in general so that doesn't help.

ParaSeoul

We really needed two threads about this,thanks for the bump
200.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's immersion breaking when the game directors make the actors use the same tone in every game.

Troy Baker has incredible range but most projects he's in, they just make him play the same kind of character.

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
Sometimes “not knowing” the character actually tell you more about them then an actual “story” built around. Look at Master Chief…. Nobody knew shot about him until books and other canon started apppeaeing. He was just a bad ass super human in an bad ass futuristic armor who kicked Alien ass who other than “I need a weapon”, didn’t even have to speak or have a story to knew exactly who he was, and I didn’t care about his back story, his race, his sexuality, none of it.

donkey Kong? All we knew was Mario was a plumber who was trying to save his lady from Kong.

Edit: I missed the “actor” part of the OP thread title. My opinion stands, actor nor character (see: Mario, PAC Man, Link) have any influence on my gaming habits or enjoyment.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

It does.
One of the reason I like watching foreign movies where I don't know any actors., especially korean or Argentine.

Vaelka

Imo I find that a lot of famous voice actors tend to emote too much, it's like actors who act like they're in a stageplay in movies and chew the scenery.
It's very obvious that they're '' a.c.t.i.n.g '' and are putting on a voice.
The best voice actors imo makes it sound totally normal, and I think a lot of the big and famous voice actors maybe get a bit full of themselves and try too hard to '' PERFORM ''.

The voice actress who played female V in Cyberpunk 2077 I dunno if she's famous or not but she and Jennifer Hale are good examples of that imo.
They sound too much like they're trying too hard to '' sound tough '' to a point of absurdity, and it's very obvious it's not their real voices.
Female V in particular sounds like she has constant tonal shifts and is being perpetually sarcastic to everyone, she chews the scenery A LOT to a point I can't take her seriously and I just find her voice acting annoying.

I think Troy Baker has this issue too, he's acting too hard quite often and it comes across as unnatural and like he's trying to have his oscar moment.

kyussman

I do find it a bit odd that the video game industry is so story/dialogue heavy these days and yet it uses such a small pool of voice actors.....it feels like they believe the voice actor is a selling point for the game.....if we get Troy Baker the game will sell more.....perhaps that's true,I've no idea......it doesn't make me buy a game though.

CosmicComet

It's a roll of the die if you get either Troy Baker, Steve Blum, or Nolan North.
Steve Blum's voice is instantly recognizable. Iconic even, with how many anime dubs he's been in.

The other two have bland voices that they can subtly throw off to sound different for different roles.

But not Steve. Steve is Steve everytime.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Troy baker to me seems to have gotten really lazy all his recent work just all sounds the same I think the last good perfor where he changes his voice was the joker in batman Arkham origins

Filben

Nope, I couldn't watch many films, too, otherwise. Story, world and characterization is usually the thing, when well-executed that makes me immerse myself, independently from the actors.

Ian Henry

I do find it a bit odd that the video game industry is so story/dialogue heavy these days and yet it uses such a small pool of voice actors.....it feels like they believe the voice actor is a selling point for the game.....if we get Troy Baker the game will sell more.....perhaps that's true,I've no idea......it doesn't make me buy a game though.
It's always something that I can't put my head around. The industry imo is trying to be like Hollywood, so maybe it's a phase we're in. Hopefully, we'll see a new era of folks that'll give rise to new voice actors but that would have to take a lot of change and charge.

Trunx81

Op, I assume you’re not German. We are used to hear the same voices on other characters over and over. Heck, the voice of Dr. House is one of the most booked voiceovers for documentations. Arnold and Stallone have the same voice. Was funny when they met in The Expendables.
Freaking Gaston in the original Beauty and the Beast was voiced by the guy who also talks for Samuel L Jackson. Was waiting for a “Beast, you motherf***” at one point.

Also, Nolan North is amazing. Especially in Pretty Little Liars 😏

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I usually play games in original language and since most stuff I play is Japanese I'm not affected.

Do you guys think it's frustrating for Troy Baker to be so pretty in his IMDb profile and still only to be asked for voice acting?

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
It can get a little grating to hear the same people over and over again, as if Troy Baker and Laura Baily are the end all be all of voice actors

Only if it’s someone I dislike because he’s a bad person or an idiot or so.Sometimes it can break an illusion for example you play as a badass hero but the voice actor is tiny and small no build body that can sometimes be on your mind but other than that it doesn’t and shouldn’t matter.One should enjoy what’s there and make the best out of it.

Hugare

Yeah, I always recognize Troy Baker instantly

But I think that this is a voice director problem. Hire these well known actors when you can do something different with them.

Troy was excellent as Joel. Laura Bailey was also amazing as Abby.

Same thing as Nolan North as David in TLOU. He was unrecognizable.

If you are hiring them to do their typical voice, please dont. Just hire some new talent.

As soon as I heard Troy's voice during that space game trailer in the Summer Game Fest, I sighed

PS: Troy is overrated af. He was only truly amazing as Joel, but only because Naughty Dogs voice directors are the best in the industry. Everyone had the performance of their lives, both in Part 1 and 2. Every other game with him he is just meh.

Last edited:
Yeah, I always recognize Troy Baker instantly

But I think that this is a voice director problem. Hire these well known actors when you can do something different with them.

Troy was excellent as Joel. was also amazing as Abby.

Same thing as Nolan North as David in TLOU. He was unrecognizable.

If you are hiring them to do their typical voice, please dont. Just hire some new talent.

As soon as I heard Troy's voice during that space game trailer in the Summer Game Fest, I sighed

PS: Troy is overrated af. He was only truly amazing as Joel, but only because Naughty Dogs voice directors are the best in the industry. Everyone had the performance of their lives, both in Part 1 and 2. Every other game with him he is just meh.
It's funny because I easily see Troy Baker in Joel now but the same thing doesn't happen with Sam. I think Ashley Johnson and Troy Baker are so associated with TLoU that it's impossible to be reminded of them, but when I'm actually playing I forget about it.

Abby doesn't remind me of Laura Bailey at all for example and I don't think it's just about the voice.

Last edited:

Hugare

It's funny because I easily see Troy Baker in Joel now but the same thing doesn't happen with Sam. I think Ashley Johnson and Troy Baker are so associated with TLoU that it's impossible to be reminded of them, but when I'm actually playing I forget about it.

Abby doesn't remind me of Laura Bailey at all for example and I don't think it's just about the voice.
Seriously? Sam is just the typical Troy Baker voice, with no characterisation at all

With Joel at least he is trying something different (but you can still recognize him tho)

Laura is way more talented than Troy, imo.

Her Abby performance was amazing, but her Nadine portrail was also superb.

Seriously? Sam is just the typical Troy Baker voice, with no characterisation at all

With Joel at least he is trying something different (but you can still recognize him tho)

Laura is way more talented than Troy, imo.

Her Abby performance was amazing, but her Nadine portrail was also superb.
Like I said to me it has more to do with marketing than with the voice itself. Like you say Nolan North and I think about Drake but I know he is on a bunch of other games as well doing a great job but I only notice him on Uncharted.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Troy baker being in everything kinda annoys me and except for rare cases, i cringe everytime a super famous actor does VA for a videogame.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Steve Blum. His voice is the same in all his work. It kinda kills it for me. He has the iconic Spike voice from Cowboy Beebop, but I can’t .. i just hear Spike. That was during the 360 Gen too, so the immersion has been broken for me for a while.

Troy Baker does all those onstage performances like he did for TLoU1. Wasn’t he acting out his role with other cast members on stage years ago? Not to mention he played the guitar for some Silent Hill concert performance. If they didn’t want to break the immersion then why try so hard to attach your face with the property? God awful HD remakes of Silent Hill and they still celebrated. SMH

Last edited:

Thabass

Honestly Kojima is a bit of a weirdo. Last good game I thought he made was MGS3. Everything beyond that has just been weird bollocks that's just him waving his dick around.
I don't agree completely with this. Peace Walker, I feel was his last really good game. Though I haven't played all of Death Stranding, but what I've played of it is...yeah...

Naked Lunch

I hear the dude who voices Liquid Snake in a million games and animation.
I just hear Liquid in all the roles he does.

Same thing with Spike from Cowboy Bebop.

wolywood

Does a Souls game need to have Troy Baker? No, because Hidetaka Miyazaki doesn't let voice acting companies boss him around, like they do with other companies. Hidetaka EARNED the right to choose the voice actors, he personally wants.
To me every NPC in a Soulsborne game sounds like Salad Fingers.

Last edited:
Nope, not at all. Not something I even think about actually. You kind of just have to roll with it.

IDK if this is a relevant counter, but does anyone get distracted when they see "Spider-Man" not in a Spider-Man movie? Or seeing an American Psycho play Batman? or when Denzel was in fact not gunned down by the Russian mob, but is instead in witness protection and now coaches a highschool football team?

Soodanim

Gold Member
It might be because I know Critical Role so well, but when I hear Laura Bailey in a game I can't hear anything but Laura. I used to play Skyrim and Serana was Serana, but now it's just Laura. I watch a video of TLOU2 to see how that is, and it's just Laura.

manfestival

Only one that breaks my immersion in any of the things he does is Steve Blum. I hear his voice and I cannot imagine that the character I am staring at is anyone aside from gravely voiced Steve Blum.

Wildebeest

I guess the industry thinks some of these actors have earned their position as headliners. But it certainly feels like a comfort zone of the people doing the hiring thinking nobody will blame them if something goes wrong.

Top Bottom