• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Learning 2D Sprites today just for Indie "Pixel Renaissance"? Or can it stand alongside 3D and be just as popular? Show me some Modern 2D Sprites!

Best 2D sprites of last gen:
L79PgC8Vcz_GaS9BW6jR4Yv0yjYtFs1tuaOZGq0-mMg.png

nkarafo

I don't think many modern 2D games would count as "sprites". Some use 3D with flat planes and textures on them that are animated in a similar fashion as sprites.

Blasphemous looks like it's using sprites. But other games like Ori seem to use a different approach. You can tell by how the animation looks most of the time.

Fbh

I think sprites or 2D look in general can have a place in modern games, specially when studios finally move past trying to make everything look like a NES or SNES game.

The last night was supposed to use sprites right?
TLN_Crowd_01_compressed.png

Sadly it completely disappeared

Eiyuden Chronicle Looks awesome too:
rzmsnr5.gif

Soodanim

I prefer Shovel Knight to Hyper Light Drifter.
The latter uses oversized blocks as its style, and it doesn’t really do it for it.
The former is a bright and colourful game that is a love letter to the past.

Diddy X

Actually there is a lot of amazing stuff that could be done with sprites that for some reason nobody is doing, I see a great opportunity.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'd go as far as saying that 2D sprites are more prominent in most popular games today, remember that mobile is king on quantity

Holammer

2D that looks like it could have been done on 16/32bit hardware can still be good, Record of Lodoss War for example looks great (and might become one the best metroidvanias since SotN).

86C59BD6ACC116A7629F4E249FEA7F171DB32474

But in the spirit of OPs question I would suggest Yoku's Island Express. It's not Ori, but damn close and the pinball metroidvania fusion is certainly unique.

422CAC45334D93DA1FCE32545B59E25AEFD5567C

telechy

Neo Member
I still love to render my games in 2D but with with lots of effects and particles to give it a modern feel, such as I did in Throwdown Boxing 2 (an updated original punch out, love that game 🐐 )

throwdown1.png

However, I took a different approach in Zonot's Challenge by rendering the sprites in 3D to give a modern feel, then animating them in 2D. Hope this helps you out.

zonot1.png

Soltype

My problem with modern 2D is the animation quality.They spend so much time making beautiful art, and then they animate it like qwop.Recently the only 2 games to really stand out are King of Fighter XII/XIII and cuphead.
Chinkofxiii.gif
29695ca18d4a5ffa8f0b4e52a158acd6.gif

337skeleton.gif
337dragon.gif

Manus

For some reason I just adore Stardew Valley's sprites. Their's just something about them that makes me so nostalgic, it's just so cozy. Also super impressive that it was all done by one person.

l0C9jQa.jpg

TLZ

Banned
I think sprites or 2D look in general can have a place in modern games, specially when studios finally move past trying to make everything look like a NES or SNES game.

The last night was supposed to use sprites right?
TLN_Crowd_01_compressed.png

Sadly it completely disappeared

Eiyuden Chronicle Looks awesome too:
rzmsnr5.gif
These look beautiful ❤️

Sophist

Can 2D sprite be just as successful 3D without being.....old fashion?
This is back from 2015

Recently the only 2 games to really stand out are King of Fighter XII/XIII and cuphead.

King Of Fighter 2d sprites are based on 3d animated models; They animated 3d models then drew 2d versions of the best frames.

more at https://kofaniv.snk-corp.co.jp/english/info/15th_anniv/2d_dot/creation/index.php

I find pixel art, when done right, more impressive than the latest AAA game trying to look real. In a few years even the best looking AAA game will show it's age, meanwhile Symphony of the Night will always look as good as it did the first day.

Soltype

This is back from 2015

King Of Fighter 2d sprites are based on 3d animated models; They animated 3d models then drew 2d versions of the best frames.

more at https://kofaniv.snk-corp.co.jp/english/info/15th_anniv/2d_dot/creation/index.php

wonder why more people don't do this, it animates leaps and bounds better than most 2d games out there.I know capcom rotoscoped some for SF3.
meisqltgirma4keiytde.gif

Self

Those thick outlines look ugly though
It's an art style, so fair enough. I didn't like the aesthetics at first glance myself, but after playing it for a while it has grown in me. I haven't seen such huge sprites in motion since.... well, since KOF 12. Love it!

mortal

Gold Member
Came across these and was reminded of this thread.

Seize the Day was a calendar program made by in 1994 by Buena Vista software. It features graphics that at the time, were revolutionary because of the way they handled color cycling. These images were static bitmaps, but by changing color values, they appear animated. What is also impressive about these images is that they had full day night cycles built in, rendered also through color cycling.
A few years ago, a html5 version was made. A copy was uncovered online and there is a way to use the program through DOSbox. As well, one of the original programmers for the project, Iam Gilman, has thought of the idea of remaking it, open sourced, for modern machines.

D.Final

Banned
I love 2D Sprites, but i feel like they are in a niche, mostly indie, group of gaming.

Is a graphical style that's timeless yet always deemed as "so retro" or "sooo nostalgic!!

Can 2D sprite be just as successful 3D without being.....old fashion?

give me some examples or just some really good 2D sprites over the years!

You can also learn both

Top Bottom