• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is LG E8 Oled good for gaming?

dave_d

Asking because I'm seeing them on sale on Newegg. I was thinking of buying a B8, C8, B9, or C9 but saw that deal. I'm figuring it's probably the same as the other 8 series Oleds.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yes, it is great, BUT it’s one of the more expensive OLEDs and there are much better options.

The LG C9 is a much much better choice as it gives you HDMI 2.1 which is a big deal for next gen consoles.

If the C9 doesn’t fit your price range you can find good deals on the B8. It’s got the same picture quality as the E8, but will likely be much cheaper.

However the undisputed best choice for OLEDs at this moment is the LG C9 since it is currently the only OLED that has support for full bandwidth HDMI 2.1.

Last edited:

dave_d

Yes, it is great, BUT it’s one of the more expensive OLEDs and there are much better options.

The LG C9 is a much much better choice as it gives you HDMI 2.1 which is a big deal for next gen consoles.

If the C9 doesn’t fit your price range you can find good deals on the B8. It’s got the same picture quality as the E8, but will likely be much cheaper.

However the undisputed best choice for OLEDs at this moment is the LG C9 since it is currently the only OLED that has support for full bandwidth HDMI 2.1.

That's the thing though. At least on newegg the E8 is going on sale for $1280 while the C9 $1550. Just trying to figure out if I'm better off with the E8 for almost $300 cheaper or go for the C9.

Ulysses 31

Just make sure to check the settings!
1.0 Permanent Burn-In Risk

Permanent Burn-In Risk : Yes

The LG E8, just like all OLED TVs, has the possibility of experiencing burn-in. Each manufacturer implements different technologies in an effort to decrease the risk of burn-in. The LG E8, just like the B8 and the C8, has three features to decrease the risk of burn-in.

We recommend enabling Pixel Refresher and Screen Shift, and setting Logo Luminance Adjustment to 'Low'.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That's the thing though. At least on newegg the E8 is going on sale for $1280 while the C9 $1550. Just trying to figure out if I'm better off with the E8 for almost $300 cheaper or go for the C9.
I’d wait a little longer and see if the C9 goes on sale. It has in a few instances been close to that price.

Me personally if I had to have a TV in this moment I’d get the C9 as the feature set of HDMI 2.1 is too good to ignore.

But the price you quoted for the E8 is really really good and it will be a great TV for gaming.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
inb4 some fuckhead ignores valid concerns especially when it's used for gaming with a lot of hud's.

@OP Wait for microled, don't waste money on it.
This is a perfect example of someone who makes a FUD based comment and hasn’t done any research to back it up.

A lot of “fuckheads” who have been gaming and using an OLED for years will tell you that concerns for burn in are greatly exaggerated. If you vary the content on a semi-regular basis, combined with the TVs anti-burnin failsafes, burnin is virtually a non-issue.

Telling OP to wait for MicroLED is also terrible advice considering that we are probably a good 4-5 years away from it being even remotely close to affordable.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
MicroLED is still far off at living room TV sizes and it will be even longer before it becomes affordable. There may be other techs that come into play by that time.

I’m amazed at how many people assume MicroLED is right around the corner, when it’s still in the prototype stage at this point. Even if it comes out in 3 years at earliest it will be massively expensive and by then OLED will likely be so much cheaper that it will be hard to pass up.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Another advantage of OLED that is seldom discussed is the near instantaneous pixel response time that rivals (and I believe even exceeds) TN panel response time.

Once video cards and consoles start supporting HDMI 2.1 hooking up your PC and console to the C9 will probably provide the best gaming experience for close to 4K gaming.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
1 percent chance of a corner of a display looking like shit after retarded torchmode use, vs a 100 percent chance of your display looking like shit all the time because it's LED.

see you in 6 years and at 10 grand.
hahahaha
i will get one with my flying car when i pick one up on the moon

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I’m amazed at how many people assume MicroLED is right around the corner, when it’s still in the prototype stage at this point. Even if it comes out in 3 years at earliest it will be massively expensive and by then OLED will likely be so much cheaper that it will be hard to pass up.
Yes MicroLED is currently limited to very large displays and getting them down to 65" and 55" would require shrinking the LEDs even further which is currently impossible. Even if it becomes possible, the yields will be far worse and the cost will be much higher so it'll take a long time for pirces to get to where OLEDs are today. 3 years is super optimistic, more like 10 years, if it can be done at all.

Ulysses 31

1 percent chance of a corner of a display looking like shit after retarded torchmode use, vs a 100 percent chance of your display looking like shit all the time because it's LED.
OLED is LED also. :goog_unsure:

And what's with this OLED or nothing attitude? Only a sith deals in absolutes. :lollipop_grinning:

Don't know what you're smoking or just being hyperbolic but I found the QLED I'm using to be great for gaming and movie watching after going through the picture settings.

Spukc

OLED is LED also. :goog_unsure:

And what's with this OLED or nothing attitude? Only a sith deals in absolutes. :lollipop_grinning:

Don't know what you're smoking or just being hyperbolic but I found the QLED I'm using to be great for gaming and movie watching after going through the picture settings.

people buying "Q" lcd tv in 2019 be like

Horse-Power-Car-2-Horse-Pulling-Half-Car.jpg

oled users be like

147691-cars-news-elon-musk-tesla-drivers-can-turn-their-cars-into-self-driving-ubers-for-money-image1-f8skwrwalc.jpg

wel at least your tv has no imaginary burn in

Last edited:

Spukc

Wonder why there are so many 'fake' burn-in videos on tube if it's not an issue..

:lollipop_thescream: if you think imma click on a emoji plastered video thumbnail you must be a special kind of dense

10 reasons why i won't click on that video you won't believe what is number 1
clickbait

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yes MicroLED is currently limited to very large displays and getting them down to 65" and 55" would require shrinking the LEDs even further which is currently impossible. Even if it becomes possible, the yields will be far worse and the cost will be much higher so it'll take a long time for pirces to get to where OLEDs are today. 3 years is super optimistic, more like 10 years, if it can be done at all.
MiniLED on the other hand should be here soon. That’ll potentially be a nice stop gap.

Aidah

If you're the type of person who keeps the same TV for many years, then you should definitely go for the C9 even if it costs more.

This is a perfect example of someone who makes a FUD based comment and hasn’t done any research to back it up.

A lot of “fuckheads” who have been gaming and using an OLED for years will tell you that concerns for burn in are greatly exaggerated. If you vary the content on a semi-regular basis, combined with the TVs anti-burnin failsafes, burnin is virtually a non-issue.

Telling OP to wait for MicroLED is also terrible advice considering that we are probably a good 4-5 years away from it being even remotely close to affordable.

I've done my research. It's an issue. Ignoring it is an issue. I never said it was a major issue nor was I exaggerating. I was just replying with the same tone as my quote. Telling OP not to wait for microLED is worth as much as telling him to wait for one. You can't possibly have proof that it will come in 4-5 years just as I dont have proof it will come next year, however it's presumably, a much better technology, and it seems highly unlikely that several companies announced it just to release in 5 years to the public. OP needs to know of all possibilities.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I’ve had a uk B7 for over a year, 65”. I game on it a LOT, and my wife does too, with those crappy games like Aven Colony and shit... the kind of games that don’t just have a little hud, they have massive UIs that are static the whole time.

Not a single case of burn in, at all. And this tv is on like 12 hours a day at least what with having a 3 year old too.

HE1NZ

Banned
My friend has one of LG 4K TVs. The input lag he gets is horrendous, though I'm sure if he disables additional features it'll get better.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Does this tv have a simple essential feature like VRR?
Nope. The C9 and higher tier OLEDs from LG are the only series with HDMI 2.1. Not just from LG, but any manufacturer. Unless you are referring to Samsung's lower end FreeSync.

Next years TVs from other manufacturers should have HDMI 2.1.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I've done my research. It's an issue. Ignoring it is an issue. I never said it was a major issue nor was I exaggerating. I was just replying with the same tone as my quote. Telling OP not to wait for microLED is worth as much as telling him to wait for one. You can't possibly have proof that it will come in 4-5 years just as I dont have proof it will come next year, however it's presumably, a much better technology, and it seems highly unlikely that several companies announced it just to release in 5 years to the public. OP needs to know of all possibilities.
No. It's not an issue except in extreme cases of carelessness. If it was OLED an issue would be long dead, but it continues to gain more and more marketshare. Does that mean it can't happen? No, but you almost have to try to make it happen.

MicroLED not coming any time soon is a fact. We are several years away at best. Several years beyond that before it's affordable. This is based on people who have connections to the industry (HDTVTest) and comments by Samsung at CES.
My friend has one of LG 4K TVs. The input lag he gets is horrendous, though I'm sure if he disables additional features it'll get better.
That's interesting. LG OLEDs are known for having excellent input lag. Of course, it needs to be in game mode to get the best results.

Last edited:
I want a 50 inch oled. Don't like gaming on a ginormous tv, and space is limited. Where are the 50-43 inch oleds? I thought they would be out by now for sure.

Last edited:

AnotherOne

Sigh, I got a 2013 OLED with 11k hours and 80% of that is gaming and zero burn in. New oled are very safe and burn in isn't a issue if you don't abuse it.

dave_d

I’d wait a little longer and see if the C9 goes on sale. It has in a few instances been close to that price.

Me personally if I had to have a TV in this moment I’d get the C9 as the feature set of HDMI 2.1 is too good to ignore.

But the price you quoted for the E8 is really really good and it will be a great TV for gaming.

I can definitely wait a little to see if the C9 goes on sale again. I didn't realize they were getting down to those prices. (Which is why when I saw sub 1300 for any OLED it caught my eye.)

dave_d

Let me guess, first MicroLED then FED And SED a month after that.
:messenger_grinning:

Top Bottom