• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is NFT finally dead?

Is NFT finally dead?

• Yes

Votes: 80 70.8%
  • No

Votes: 33 29.2%

• Total voters

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Glad to see it happen.

That said, I don't think it's dead, the hype just died out. The stupid Ape NFTs are still "worth" thousands of $, sometimes $tens of thousands.

It's going to continue to chug a long and grifters will continue to grift.
Literally the cheapest is “worth” like $50k still.

It’s hilarious

UnNamed

Banned
NFT in gaming was a nest idea used in the worst way possible.

In theory, it was like having a digital but unique Amibo no one have, and you can use in many games. You purchase a sword, you can use it in any action game but also in driving games and FPS, because it's yours and it's platform and game agnostic.

In practice, buy very expensive NFTs for one game in development that probably will never be released.

In theory, it was like having a digital but unique Amibo no one have, and you can use in many games. You purchase a sword, you can use it in any action game but also in driving games and FPS, because it's yours and it's platform and game agnostic.
Anyone who actually believed that even for a millisecond has no idea how games and game development actually work.

Red5

NFT bros moved to pumping out AI generated images, stories and voices by the buttload, saturating a market that barely exists thinking they would be the first to strike gold. I saw some selling framed AI generated images in a booth near my workplace, wasn't surprised that no one was buying stuff anyone can make with a click of button.

I still see some techbros evangelizing NFT's, but now with AI generated images too. I keep asking them where's the value in these images that have no copyright and that I can't own? They always seem to fumble and never give a straight answer.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I think some are "only" worth a few $K, but could be wrong. At least it's not $millions anymore. So stupid.

You might have done the same thing I did and expected google to do a conversion from ETH but it always just spits out the 1ETH price which is over $1800.

So that "floor" bored ape is actually "worth" 33ETH is actually around $60k.

It's funny that google basically refuses to do a currency conversion lol

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Anyone who actually believed that even for a millisecond has no idea how games and game development actually work.
Ironically they never promoted NFT in this way, which was very interesting at least.

They just said "buy our NFT before the development is over, so when it will be released, you sell them for profit and make REAL MONEY!!"

MetalRain

Companies don't need any crypto token to sell players some gaming related virtual things. Valve & EA has done it for years before NFT was a thing and I'm sure many others will in the future.

Last edited:
I believe that for as long as human nature gives humans the capacity to be greedy and deceitful, NFT's and S-coin scams are going to be there. People have short memories and in a couple years all the people who got scammed will have moved on and a fresh, new, and naive group of folks will get pulled in by the sharks. It sucks but I think it's inevitable. Best you can do, imo, is arm yourself with information just in case a family member or friend becomes a potential victim.

Red5

Companies don't need any crypto token to sell players some gaming related virtual things. Valve & EA has done it for years before NFT was a thing and I'm sure many others will in the future.

Bioware Points I think was the original gaming NFT.

StereoVsn

You might have done the same thing I did and expected google to do a conversion from ETH but it always just spits out the 1ETH price which is over $1800.

So that "floor" bored ape is actually "worth" 33ETH is actually around $60k.

It's funny that google basically refuses to do a currency conversion lol
Ahh, maybe that's it. Kind of nuts that its still worth that much.

DiGiTMerc

Banned
If talking about microtransactions, if they were decent, worth the keeping, I would understood it, but since a lot of them are just the opposite of being "a keeper", I find it to be a "soft scam" with potential being a "hard scam" at the end. I doubt NFT will last long either. Should it get put down into the grave, then something else, something newer would/will appear.

Last edited:
nope, during bull markets things are popular and expensive, during bear markets things are "dying".
During crypto next bull market, NFTs will be on headlines again.

TransTrender

Gold Member

This still exists and I still don't really understand what it is.
I wonder if there's a way to view the NFT transactions for this on da Blockchain to see how it's doing.

If this is real then it seems like it's very dead and very unsuccessful.

The GameStop experiment seems to have flat lined

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

It was never alive anyway.

vU73rEf.jpg

TransTrender

Gold Member

This still exists and I still don't really understand what it is.
I wonder if there's a way to view the NFT transactions for this on da Blockchain to see how it's doing.

If this is real then it seems like it's very dead and very unsuccessful.

The GameStop experiment seems to have flat lined
Alright looking at this again it seems like Symbiogenesis is a total flop.
This site said their total transaction volume was 30 ETH.

Compare that to the GameStop NFT experiment and their total transaction volume is 12090 ETH. That's a little over 400x the volume of Symbiogenesis.

I could be reading this all wrong

kubricks

NFT probably won't die, but it doesn't change the fact that it has absolutely no value in the first place.
They just add a lot of barrier and entry cost to something that has no intrinsic value, then try to charge you for their "work".

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
As long as we are alive companies are going to continue to try to sell digital goods and create artificial scarcity around them. So maybe it wont be NFTs but it will be some other bullshit I can guarantee that.

Top Bottom