• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Nintendo getting ready to release a game they KNOW is terrible?

So, seemingly out of nowhere, Nintendo revealed Everybody 1-2 Switch.

x1x2jGQ.jpg

The game immediately started to take pre-orders for release within a month.

While this is the first Nintendo mentioned this game, it isn't the first we've heard about it. It was leaked a year ago and, apparently, was finished at that time.

It had been focus tested and did extremely poorly. Apparently, everyone who tried it, hated it. This included more serious gamers, as well as casual families and children. According to reports, players didn't even want to finish their mini-games, as they were frustrating and boring.

Here's an article from summer of 2022.

The theory was Nintendo canceled the game. Until it showed up out of nowhere last week.

While, it's possible Nintendo spent the year improving the game, I personally believe they've just sat on it, like they've been infamous for doing.

This game got announced and put up for preorder without even having a trailer.

I believe the game will be the same game their test groups told them is how garbage. But, Nintendo still wants to recoup any money they can by finding as many suckers as they can.

If I'm correct, this seems like a questionable move. Is it really worth burning whoever you can to recoup some losses, or would it be better just to keep this game from seeing the light of day.

At the very least, release a trailer and screen shots, so potential buyers have a better idea what level of quality they can expect.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Maybe? But ultimately, don’t buy trash games and Nintendo, or any other developer, will be less likely to make them in the future.

Simple.

L*][*N*K

Banned
If the game is not broken then I don’t see why not release it, limit the physical copies and whatever they sell digitally its just income, clearly they shouldn’t have developed it since the first one sucked but here we are

Chastten

Banned
They released several bad/mediocre games towards the end of the Wii U cause they were busy preparing their good stuff for Switch. My guess this is for the same reason.

Or maybe they fixed the game, who knows.

Fbh

Maybe? We won't know until it's out
If the game isn't broken on a technical level or relying on deceptive advertising then who really cares? It's not like this is some big anticipated title and maybe some people will find enjoyment in it. I'm sure there's plenty of shit products out there that have done well during focus testing.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
“Terrible” is too strong a word.
We already know it’s going to be a 6/10 that could entertain a family or a group of friends for a couple of evenings. And it will be $60, so a guaranteed commercial flop. But a terrible game? Nah.

blacktout

They're quietly pushing it out the door in the wake of Tears of the Kingdom and hoping to recoup at least some of the money they burned developing it. Lots of publishers do shit like this to cut their losses.

This is explicitly about bleeding low-information consumers and impulse buyers.

At least they're selling it at a reduced price and not heavily promoting it, I guess.

Woopah

Yes. I think they've sat on it and are dropping it as their June game just to recoup some of the cost.

Then in July they’ll have a Direct and release Pikmin 4 and hope everyone forgets about it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
To me these games are similar to Dance Dance Revolution, we are not the target audience for these type of games.

They don't care, this is for families and parties. It can be a 2/10 it doesn't matter as people reviewing the game are not the target audience anyway.
To me these games are similar to Dance Dance Revolution, we are not the target audience for these type of games.
The target audience played the game. They hated it.

They had families and kids try it. Those people said it was terrible.

Last edited:

Woopah

The target audience played the game. They hated it.

They had families and kids try it. Those people said it was terrible.
This is an important point, its not a fun game with a different target audience (like Wii Sports Resort or Ring Fit Adventure), it's a bad game. At least, supposedly.

MrA

Banned
This is an important point, its not a fun game with a different target audience (like Wii Sports Resort or Ring Fit Adventure), it's a bad game. At least, supposedly.
given the discount price and stealth announcement I'd say that it's likely it's bad.

BlackTron

Miyamoto never said that.

If you look around the Internet you will find that some have tried to nail down the real story here and found variants of the quote in old magazines that suggest the first step in a "telephone game" that led to this being erroneously attributed specifically to Miyamoto. But Miyamoto was questioned on this more recently (while discussing Star Fox Zero! lol) and his answers provide the context that he really did say it.

"People really like that quote! [laughs] I think I really meant to say was that when I make a game...."

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
They're quietly pushing it out the door in the wake of Tears of the Kingdom and hoping to recoup at least some of the money they burned developing it. Lots of publishers do shit like this to cut their losses.

This is explicitly about bleeding low-information consumers and impulse buyers.

At least they're selling it at a reduced price and not heavily promoting it, I guess.
12Switch franchises are cheap crud to make and Japanese peoples like party games my freinds

By June 2019, total sales reached 3.01 million.[24] The 2022 CESA Games White Papers revealed that 1-2-Switch had sold 3.63 million units, as of December 31, 2021.[25]

Last edited:
I like how you’re asking a Q when we all already know the answer.

Just look at how Nintendo is marketing it. $29 and quietly announced on Twitter with no fanfare, and no trailer upload.

Neo_GAF

Banned
12Switch franchises are cheap crud to make and Japanese peoples like party games my freinds

By June 2019, total sales reached 3.01 million.[24] The 2022 CESA Games White Papers revealed that 1-2-Switch had sold 3.63 million units, as of December 31, 2021.[25]
numbers sony and ms are dreaming off for the flagship-titles.

If I'm correct, this seems like a questionable move. Is it really worth burning whoever you can to recoup some losses, or would it be better just to keep this game from seeing the light of day.

At the very least, release a trailer and screen shots, so potential buyers have a better idea what level of quality they can expect.
The people who are gong to buy this don't look up games online, or look for reviews. 9/10 potential buyers (a made up stat, like so many but hear me out) are going to see the game in gamestop, walmart, etc and remember playing wii sports or the first 1-2 switch and pick it up. Then you got die hard Nintendo fans that buy everything 1st party Nintendo puts out no matter what. They will say it's good even if it sucks, just to run defense. These types are small in number but are loud and exist on all 3 platforms.

Really though, this looks like its marketed for children, tweens or parents with children and tweens. It may be crappy, but its up to Nintendo to release it. People have a choice to buy it or not. They will want to re-coup some of their loses. Why shelve a finished game, even if its not that great. Its no a mainline franchise so they don't have much to loose. Especially when other franchises are hitting it out of the park.

BlackTron

this is actually a good game. sad that most people seem to dislike this one.
As a huge fan of Starfox, I walked in with an open mind ready to grapple with the controversial aspects and enjoy it for what it is.

I'm sorry it really is that bad. The only reason it's hard to aim on the TV is to give the gamepad a point. It could have been used for really cool ideas but instead forced the fix to a problem that didn't exist.

Like StarCraft 64, even the best game of all time sucks with a broken control scheme.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Terrible? No.

I mean I would never buy this type of game but it has its audience.

Quality wise it is not terrible. Gameplay is gimmicky and very simple but it is not terrible.

What is terrible is Balan Wonderworld. That’s certified terrible.

Neo_GAF

Banned
Terrible? No.

I mean I would never buy this type of game but it has its audience.

Quality wise it is not terrible. Gameplay is gimmicky and very simple but it is not terrible.

What is terrible is Balan Wonderworld. That’s certified terrible.
absolutely this.

nintendo has a lot of other terrible games, which got released in the past and wont in the future and vice versa.
WHERE IS F-ZERO!?

UnNamed

Banned
1-2 Switch wasn't bad, it's still the best use of the HD Rumble in a videogame. But games were just minigames, a mere demo, and people didn't want to spend 60€ for some demo.

nordique

Covid has f*** everything and Nintendo is not immune to the long wave
That same logic would apply to another Nintendo launch title sequel, tears of the kingdom, but it is one of the greatest video games ever made lol

I guess we’ll see when this one comes out

Last edited:
Top Bottom