• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Nintendo's "Midas Touch" with the Switch going to bring back a renaissance of core, niche IP's like 2D Metroid?

Marty-McFly

Banned
The thing with Nintendo is they only use their IP's based on new ideas and gameplay mechanics they want to implement and which franchise they feel will best implement that. It's the way it's always been.
So what makes Dread so vastly different than any other sequel?

I think you are talking about Miyamoto era Nintendo, which it is further detached from these days

It kind of is. At least compared to other Nintendo games. Look at how much it sells. No Metroid game has sold even 3 million.

MetroidConsole.png

In comparison,

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 37.08 million
Animal Crossing: New Horizons 33.89 million
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 24.77 million
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 23.20 million
Pokémon Sword and Shield 21.85 million
Super Mario Odyssey 21.40 million

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
It kind of is. At least compared to other Nintendo games. Look at how much it sells. No Metroid game has sold even 3 million.

MetroidConsole.png

In comparison,

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 37.08 million
Animal Crossing: New Horizons 33.89 million
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 24.77 million
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 23.20 million
Pokémon Sword and Shield 21.85 million
Super Mario Odyssey 21.40 million
Well I guess that settles that debate. Nintendo is doing great! DAMN! We'll see what the Midas Touch does for the industry leaders in regards to Metroid. I bet it becomes the best selling one!

Jeeves

The huge install base and general enthusiasm for Switch is definitely helping to remind Nintendo that great games will sell well if they're on a good console and marketed. I hope to see a few more IPs get to enjoy their day in the sun on Switch, because if they sell Nintendo will remember it when they decide on future projects.

Last edited:

Bridges

I would love to see another Chibi-Robo in the style of the original, or at least a remaster of the original, on Switch. Unfortunately, by most accounts Skip Ltd. seems to have quietly withered away after Zip Lash tanked.

Getting a new 2D Metroid was a surprise, but still not aswild as getting an F-Zero or Chibi-Robo or what have you. Metroid always finds its way back into the fold one way or another, Advance Wars was much more surprising to me,

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
FZero is a definate no.

Nintendo just feels like there isnt enough interest and/or they have already explored this genre to the maximum and cant do anything new with it.

Also Mario Kart sells so well I cant see them making any other racing games.

Its a damn shame. A GX with online racing would be incredible.

Zannegan

Why would Nintendo expect Dread to do the numbers of a franchise that costed so much more to make?

Expectations are relative :=>
Of course, but you're talking about a total change in strategy from Nintendo. For that kind of reaction, sales would have to greatly exceed their expectations.

As much as I obviously love Nintendo, I don't know if this is the case. They are terrible at letting franchises die off, arguably as bad as Sega. It kinda seems like wishful thinking to me. I guarantee after Dread and Prime 4, Metroid is gonna disappear for another 10 years.

Saying that, I'd love to see Mario RPGs make a comeback. Super Mario RPG 2 or a new Mario & Luigi game (though I don't know if the probability is very high now that Alphadream is defunct) would be cool. But what I want more than anything is a new traditional Paper Mario. A REAL followup to The Thousand Year Door, my favorite game ever. Maybe a Paper Luigi game detailing his adventures in the Waffle Kingdom during the events of TTYD.

GymWolf

2d metroidvania had a good success in the last years so nintendo is not really doing anything new.

I can argue that some of the latest metroidvania even looks better than the new metroid tbh.

Sure metroid is gonna probably sell much more but mostly because of the brand.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
FZero is a definate no.

Nintendo just feels like there isnt enough interest and/or they have already explored this genre to the maximum and cant do anything new with it.

I still have hope. That was more of the old Miyamoto era Nintendo, where he thought every new game needed some gimmick like an extra screen for Starfox, and the only franchise he was truly interested in releasing was Pikmin for the last decade because it reminded him of his garden.

I hate to say it, but as great as Miyamoto was in his prime, the company is doing better to move past his recent era of senior ambitions. He is out of touch with the current Nintendo gamer, but his contributions in carrying the company on his back in his youth will always be legendary.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So what makes Dread so vastly different than any other sequel?

I think you are talking about Miyamoto era Nintendo, which it is further detached from these days
So far it's probably going to be the A.I. of the E.M.M.I.'s in each of their designated zones that will start small but get bigger I bet. It's a natural evolution from the scripted SA-X portions in Fusion. Everything else is more or less the same for a 2D metroid. But you are also getting melee counters with momentum and free aiming. Alongside a new ability that adds stealth mechanics to the series as well. Which previously there was no game in the franchise that gave Samus a stealth ability.

And since it's Mercurysteam co-producing the game expect things to be more cinematic.

And I think it's a bit premature to answer what does Dread do so differently until the game is released since we have no idea how big the game is. I'm hoping it's a long one but I think it will be quite short.

Aldric

I think we'll likely see ports/remasters of lesser known series like what they're doing with Advance Wars. Kid Icarus Uprising HD seems like a no brainer, it's a shame a game of this quality and ambition is stuck on the 3DS and with a proper visual upgrade and gyro controls it'd easily become one of the best games on Switch.

Mozza

2D Metroid is so niche there's a whole genre named after it.

It's not niche.
The original Metroid on the NES sold around 2.4 million units, and the SNES game only sold around 1.4 million units, add this to the fact the prime games were all pretty low sellers considering the Wii's market share, and of course other Nintendo franchises sales.

I would say pretty niche at this point is a pretty accurate appraisal of the situation.

The fact internet minority gamers and gaming sites name all related games as Metroidvania clones, does not stop the franchise from being niche.

Last edited:

Porcile

FZero is a definate no.

F-Zero is definitely coming back at some point. They know people want it, so it will happen. Nintendo are actually pretty good with their bigger legacy IPs - Metroid, Lugi's Mansion, Star Fox all got another chance.

Top Bottom