• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is now a good time to buy an e-reader(specifically kindle)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanzou

The Paperwhite is a lovely device and the look and feel of it is about as close as it gets to reading an actual paper book without the real thing.

But honestly, I think it's hard to recommend an e-reader. I have one and never use it because there's a Kindle app on my phone and tablet that gives me full access to all of my purchased content from Amazon.
But then you have to read on a lid screen which for me, sucks. I spend at least 8 hours a day looking at a screen, lat thing I want to do is read on one.

I also have a nook and a kindle paper white but if you are willing to wait, there is new technology with colour coming out next year hopefully

https://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/e-reader-companies-will-adopt-color-e-paper-in-2018

Don't really see the value of a color e-reader unless you're using it for something like comic books, and even then an iPad would be better for that. Anyway, for basic novels I think the Kindle Paperwhite is really good, but I wish they made one a tad bit bigger like 7-8 inches.

ThisGuy

Huh, I wonder how well reMarkable is for class notes? I like the idea of having one notebook for every class. But, I dunno. Flipping back through pages on a kindle paper white is terrible. Can't see that being much better.

Anyways, paper white all the way. Best device I've ever had for reading. Aside from trying to thumb back to find a part you've previously read. Nothing beats an actual book for that.

I've been pondering this too, but considering how hard the FFXII:ZA guide is to read on a small screen, and in color, I keep wanting either a normal tablet or for Google to finally make a Nexus 7 successor.

Are there retailers that carry Kindles? Or is it only through Amazon. I'd like to try one first hand before spending any money.

I also have a nook and a kindle paper white but if you are willing to wait, there is new technology with colour coming out next year hopefully

https://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/e-reader-companies-will-adopt-color-e-paper-in-2018

I feel like I've been hearing color ereaders are right around the corner for half a decade. Plus like family guy I don't really see the point.

I've read rumors that next year's Kindles will have bigger screens though, which would be nice. My Kindle is also one of my favorite things but the small screen has always bugged me, if it was the same size as a typical paper back it'd be perfect, I think that'd be around 6"x9".

norm9

Yeah, I can't justify putting $700 on one of those, I'll keep printing my articles. They do look stunning though.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/digital-paper-notepads/dpt-rp1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072DXXXN1/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Oh man, I need to start saving. This thing looks incredible.

Buy any ereader asap and you;ll see yourself reading much more because reading from a nice e-ink screen is nice for the eyes. My sony ereader from years ago is still ticking and has more books than I'll ever finish in my lifetime.

noquarter

I've been pondering this too, but considering how hard the FFXII:ZA guide is to read on a small screen, and in color, I keep wanting either a normal tablet or for Google to finally make a Nexus 7 successor.

Are there retailers that carry Kindles? Or is it only through Amazon. I'd like to try one first hand before spending any money.
I've seen them in Best Buy before. Usually just have a little table with all of them and accessories.

I have an oasis. Easily the best electronic gadget I've bought in a few years. I know its expensive but it's really well built and small enough to never notice you're carrying it.

Jon Armdog

OP, Kindles aren't too different from year to year. Just make sure you get a Paperwhite. Check the website camelcamelcamel to get pricing history on the Paperwhite, so you can catch a good sale.

I was hesitant, as I like paper books. But the Kindle is so freaking convenient. You can even check out library books on it via Overdrive.

naib

It kickstarted a reading renaissance for me. Just the basic paperwhite.
The device I didn't know I needed.

Ignoring obvious benefits of the screen/backlight, I love that as I get more tired and/or inebriated I can switch fonts to octogenarian mode and slog further than I should.

edit: Holy shit. I want an Oasis.
State of unwanting shattered.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I might lay out a bunch of money for an Oasis one day but the real thing that would get me to buy another Paperwhite revision would be a bit more storage.

I'd second this. My original Kindle from 2011 is still trucking and does exactly what it needs too. Amazing value in the long run

This my experience, too. If you need an electronic book reader, the basic model is really good. It lasts forever on a charge, having no backlight to eat electricity. The navigation buttons are easy to learn and to use, the screen is as good as printed paper even in bright sunlight, and that's all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom