• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Persona 5 Royal the best JRPG ever?

LakeOf9

I went back to this because of the hype around the P3 remake, and it's just so good!
  • Gorgeous graphics
  • Amazing turn based combat
  • Great enemy and monster designs
  • Probably the best cast of characters in a game
  • Such a great story that has so much relevance in today's world
  • Probably the best music in any game ever
  • Incredibly addictive gameplay that is unlike anything else, I love that blend of daily life and supernatural
  • So many cool mechanics
  • Great bosses
I can't think of anything wrong with this game. It's probably the best turn based game ever, probably the best JRPG ever. Its so beyond anything else.

I dont think I can think of any other JRPG that comes close, maybe Yakuza: Like A Dragon, but even it is not on this level.

I can't wait to see what Persona 6 will be like.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

MV5BNmRlZTNkYmUtOGFlOC00NzNkLWFjN2UtYWIzNWIyMTU3MzM4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA3NjAwMDc4._V1_.jpg
xenogears-1516859489850_319402_d3x3.jpg
header.jpg

Last edited:

Puscifer

It's not even the best Persona. Shockingly once Persona 4 hit it's stride it was smooth sailing for the entire game, the 80 hours flew by.

Persona 5 was dragging it's heels, I loved the art style but holy shit it was a slog and I hated how it took Royal to actually get the same level of player agency you had in P4 and P3 by default.

Now let's talk Persona 2 and Mecha Hitler

Puscifer

No way. With about 30% of the story editing out / summarized in passing it would have been perfect. It's massively self indulgent and the pacing after the half way point drops off a cliff.
Just to add the game opened up with it's strongest writing and villain from the jump, it's wild how much no one else was half as intimidating as he was. There was also a serious sense of danger of him being a teacher at school presented to the students, it felt really personal.

Last edited:
I’m less excited for Persona 6. My understanding is that the creatives behind 3-5 all left the team to do other stuff.

Already the Mother series is clearly the best JRPGs ever (especially Earthbound IMO).

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

LordCBH

I’m less excited for Persona 6. My understanding is that the creatives behind 3-5 all left the team to do other stuff.

Already the Mother series is clearly the best JRPGs ever (especially Earthbound IMO).

They’re making the Metaphor game that got properly announced like a week or two ago! It’s gonna be sick!

• Fire

StereoVsn

It's not even the best Persona. Shockingly once Persona 4 hit it's stride it was smooth sailing for the entire game, the 80 hours flew by.

Persona 5 was dragging it's heels, I loved the art style but holy shit it was a slog and I hated how it took Royal to actually get the same level of player agency you had in P4 and P3 by default.

Now let's talk Persona 2 and Mecha Hitler
That is true, P4G has the best characters and story, IMO. P5 dungeons were great, but they dragged on way too long.

Plus P5(R) pacing was just damn slow in places.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Dragon Quest V
3. Suikoden 2
4. Dragon Quest XI
5. Dragon Quest VIII
6. Final Fantasy IX
7. SMT Nocturne
8. Final Fantasy VI
9. Xenogears
10. Grandia 2
11. Final Fantasy VII
12. Trails in the Sky 2nd
13. Persona 3
14. Persona 4
15. Wild Arms 2
16. Shin Megami Tensei IV
18. Ys VIII
19. Nier Automata
20. Lost Odyssey
21. Trails from Zero
22. Persona 5

Nope. Not even top 20. Sad!

Sad Donald Trump GIF

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I enjoyed Persona 5 a lot but I’m much bigger fan of mainline SMT, especially when it comes to its turn based combat.

For me Press Turn is absolutely superior to Persona‘s Once More system.

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Dragon Quest V
3. Suikoden 2
4. Dragon Quest XI
5. Dragon Quest VIII
6. Final Fantasy IX
7. SMT Nocturne
8. Final Fantasy VI
9. Xenogears
10. Grandia 2
11. Final Fantasy VII
13. Persona 3
14. Persona 4
15. Wild Arms 2
18. Ys VIII
19. Nier Automata
20. Lost Odyssey
21. Trails from Zero
22. Persona 5

Sad Donald Trump GIF

It would be on the tail end of my top 100 personally

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Shame on you OP. The JRPG community is so opinionated and clique-ish. Trying to proclaim any game to be the “best JRPG ever” is inevitably going to spark a big nerdy argument.

• LOL

SSfox

It's hard to say something like this cause there are few that are iconic too. But it's definitely up there among the top of the tops of JRPGs

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm still to play it. Can I 100 percent it without using a guide first time?..it always puts me off to hear you have to make certain friendships by certain chapters or your fubared.

Last edited:
Probably? On a personal level it will always be stuff like FFT and 8, and now Octopath 2 that I prefer… but it would be hard to make an argument against P5R without coming off like an angry hipster. Game is pretty close to flawless.

Thief1987

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Dragon Quest V
3. Suikoden 2
4. Dragon Quest XI
5. Dragon Quest VIII
6. Final Fantasy IX
7. SMT Nocturne
8. Final Fantasy VI
9. Xenogears
10. Grandia 2
11. Final Fantasy VII
13. Persona 3
14. Persona 4
15. Wild Arms 2
18. Ys VIII
19. Nier Automata
20. Lost Odyssey
21. Trails from Zero
22. Persona 5

Sad Donald Trump GIF
You have two Trails games and none of them is Trails to Azure. Your opinion should be disqualified and never to be listen again.

• LOL

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
No. I think the original release was better. Also uncensored. Cant show lgbt people being anything other than perfect angels in modern day after all.

Last edited:

SSfox

I lasted about 20 hours and just couldn't get myself to jump back in. The game looks and sounds great, it just doesn't respect the players time or intelligence. Too handholdey and too chatty. 10 years ago I probably would've stuck with it through to the end, but there just isn't enough time in the day to play games I'm not fully enjoying.
You stopped right when it was about to get really interesting and next level.

Man it's one of the games i wish i can forget to re-experience like the first time.

Nico_D

OccasionalAdoredIraniangroundjay-size_restricted.gif

Not even in my top 10. Probably. Haven't really counted.

Well, let's. In no particular order

Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Xenoblade 2
SMT III
SMT V
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantaxy XII
Kingdom Hearts 2
YS VIII
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep

Yeah, no. But somewhere there. It's one of the most stylish ones though. And mechanics are good but even those are better/the same in SMT.

Go_Ly_Dow

Don't get me wrong, I love P5, but I don't think its close to being the JRPG ever.

I much preferred Persona 4 for a few reasons, one being that P5 feels like its trying a bit too hard. The rural setting feels more unique compared to Tokyo. The characters are better, the general premise/plot feels much more tighter and defined than P5. Combat, graphics, exploration and dungeon wise for sure P5 trumps P4. But P4s pacing nails it, whilst P5 feels so drawn out and had long sections that left me quite bored.

I'd also place Xenoblade 1, Xenoblade 3, Dark Chronicle, FF7, 8, 9 10, 12, Persona 4, Chrono Cross, NieR Replicant/Automata above it.

Last edited:

Mayar

Neo Member
No, it's a very solid game but far from best. They have created a game that the mainstream audience likes.
Chrono Trigger, Suikoden 2, Xenosaga, SMT - Just out of my head. Also in the 5 part, a very mediocre and weak plot, in this regard, that 3 and 4 parts were better.

No way. With about 30% of the story editing out / summarized in passing it would have been perfect. It's massively self indulgent and the pacing after the half way point drops off a cliff.
as are a couple of other relatively recent 'best ever!' games (tlou2/gow). welcome to now, a time when many gamers apparently enjoy massive self-indulgence in their games...

• LOL
Don't get me wrong, I love P5, but I don't think its close to being the JRPG ever.

I much preferred Persona 4 for a few reasons, one being that P5 feels like its trying a bit too hard. The rural setting feels more unique compared to Tokyo. The characters are better, the general premise/plot feels much more tighter and defined than P5. Combat, graphics, exploration and dungeon wise for sure P5 trumps P4. But P4s pacing nails it, whilst P5 feels so drawn out.

I'd also place Xenoblade 1, Xenoblade 3, Dark Chronicle, FF7-10, FF12, Persona 4, Chrono Cross, NieR Replicant/Automata above it.

Persona 4 also has a better villain

Not to mention I can really relate to him. Yes he does some terrible stuff but let's just say life can be a bitch at times so I totally understand his motives. He did act out in unhealthy ways though.

Persona 4 also has some of the most unique and memorable cast I have seen in a JRPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom