• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Punch-out!! doomed to never return again?

JordanN

Banned
I forgot this series existed and damn, now I can see why.

A game where every character has unique personalities but they're also stereotypical ones. But damn, I wont lie that's what made the series fun. I died laughing watching the Aran Ryan boxing match. But in today's climate would Nintendo even allow such light hearted jokes anymore?

And I wont forget at one point the developers wanted to add Princess Peach as a final boss but they pussed out in favor of using Donkey Kong. And that was 11 years ago.

Edit: But then you could box against her anyway in all the Olympic games.

Last edited:

Super punch out is one of my favourite games of alltime
if they do remake it they need to stay in the original format...but dont add no silly gyro or waggle shit

The Wii Punch Out is low-key one of the best games of its gen. Pure arcade pleasure. The game franchise still kicks my butt on the higher difficulties / boxers, though. It would be cool if they finally added a multiplayer mode, some option that lets one player control the opponent. I wouldn't expect a full moveset like Mac's, but it'd be fun to play as the boss and shake up the normal "tells" for moves.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The Switch is a good way to reintroduce the franchise and add some more Super Punch Out guys in it, as well as newer boxers.

H2x1_NSwitch_Arms_image1600w.jpg

Sethbacca

It peaked with Super Punch Out. Id get down with a 2.5d version a la new super Mario but I have no interest in the Wii version.

Former undisputed heavyweight champion Mike Tyson is looking to satisfy the hunger for a new boxing game.

The most famous boxing video game on the map - "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out" - made it's debut on Nintendo's NES system 33 years ago.

After Nintendo's license to use Mike Tyson as a special character expired, it replaced Tyson with a fictional character called Mr. Dream and re-released the game for the NES as simply Punch-Out in August 1990. There were sequels released for some of Nintendo's later consoles, but none of them had the fanfare or the nostalgia factor of the original.

During a recent interview with Shacknews, Tyson expressed heavy interest in releasing a new video game based on the famous 'Punch-Out' title. He wants to use his cannabis licensing and branding company, Tyson Ranch, as the backbone for the venture.

"Hey listen, we're going to start our own Punch-Out game and our own Tyson Ranch computer game and bring it back to life, man. Bring back Mike Tyson's Punch-Out," Tyson said.

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
The OG Punch Out! Arcade game and Mike Tyson’s punch out were something of my favorite, and most fun games. When I beat Tyson it was one of the most satisfying accomplishments in gaming. Kudos to Nintendo, I seriously hope this series makes a return.

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
Urgh, give me Fight Night 2021 instead please. It would instantly be my most wanted next gen game.

100%, but two different games. One is a really fun arcade style game, the other is a Boxing sim. Fight Night Champion still the best Boxing game of all time, one of my most wanted next gen games too.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
No. Eventually they will develop another game. Remember that before the Wii, only the SNES got one

clem84

Gold Member
If Nintendo had balls, they'd go all out with the stereotypes. That would be refreshing in today's market place. Imagine all the most politically incorrect things you can think of about every country. Put that in there. I'd buy it just on principle.

Besides, Punch-Out! has always had polished and really fun gameplay. A new instalement would be welcome.

iconmaster

Banned
Punch-Out occupies a strange niche where it's kind of a reflex-action game and kind of a very precise rhythm puzzler. Next Level did a fantastic job with Punch-Out!! for Wii (video on its fantastic animation linked below) and while I respect it, I can't say I really enjoyed it.

It's just a really weird series that doesn't have a clear path forward, IMO.

I believe the last release sold under a million on the Wii, so probably not.

I don't think the chracters should bother people though. Names like Pizza Pasta and Vodka Drunkenski were changed a million years ago and none of the "stereotypes" are done in an offensive way.

clem84

Gold Member
Man they should remaster Punch-out Wii for the Switch, playable with sticks and buttons as it should be. I know this might be a weird reason but I never got into the Wii game because of that.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
I forgot this series existed and damn, now I can see why.

A game where every character has unique personalities but they're also stereotypical ones. But damn, I wont lie that's what made the series fun. I died laughing watching the Aran Ryan boxing match. But in today's climate would Nintendo even allow such light hearted jokes anymore?

And I wont forget at one point the developers wanted to add Princess Peach as a final boss but they pussed out in favor of using Donkey Kong. And that was 11 years ago.

Edit: But then you could box against her anyway in all the Olympic games.

I wish for a big return

Pejo

Gold Member
I think that since Treehouse has got it's filthy censoring mitts all over Nintendo, we'll never get another Punch-Out. It's a game based on a lot of silly stereotypes that i'm sure are "harmful" in Treehouse's sanctimonious eyes. Fuck them, seriously.

Top Bottom