• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is refusing to date people of certain races racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supast4r

My friend told me that he could never date a black girl. When I asked him why he gave no clear reason. Is the mere act of this racist? I always go back and forth on this.

FUME5

Having preferences is one thing, outright refusing to date anyone of a certain race is another thing entirely.

And that thing is racist.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Having preferences is one thing, outright refusing to date anyone of a certain race is another thing entirely.
That's the beginning and end of it. Maybe someone here can give you an argument besides calling him racist next time you see him.

Seesaw15

Yes.

We have this thread a few times a year.
People get defensive and say having a preference isn't racist. People respond that institutionalized racism informs preferences. People get more defensive. 2 pages in people start posting pictures of hot black women. Thread closes.

I don't see what's so different about it. Obviously ops friend doesn't prefer black girls, therefore he won't date them.

Refusal is yes. Acknowledging you have a type or preference of attraction is one thing. Refusal simply based upon skin color is by definition racist.

sphagnum

Banned
You can find certain features unattractive just because you do. For example, I find red hair unattractive. That does not make me bigoted against the Irish.

But to completely disavow any romantic interest in an entire group over their ethnicity/race instead of being willing to give people a shot on their own merits, especially when there is a ton of physical variety within ethnicities/races is racist.

I feel like there are people out there who aren't attracted to predominant features from certain races, or more attracted to some than others. I think blacklisting an entire race is a bit much, because there seems to always be an exception (...or many). But sure, rejecting an entire race (maybe attraction is there, but the person refuses to consider this other person an option, regardless) would be racist.

There's a difference between "I'm not attracted to x people" and "I refuse to date x people".

I think it's weird to generalize in both cases racially, but the latter phrase is definitely racist.

Gin-Shiio

You can find certain features unattractive just because you do. For example, I find red hair unattractive. That does not make me bigoted against the Irish.

Oh, so I'm Irish now because I have red hair? You're a bigot after all.
I'm just pulling your leg.

joelseph

Yes.

People get defensive and say having a preference isn't racist. People respond that institutionalized racism informs preferences. People get more defensive. 2 pages in people start posting pictures of hot black women. Thread closes.

See is a Wizard.

Ri'Orius

I don't see what's so different about it. Obviously ops friend doesn't prefer black girls, therefore he won't date them.

Blanket refusal is not a preference.

I'll admit, my swipe right rate is lower for black women than white, and higher for Asian women. But it's not an all-or-nothing thing: there are individuals of all races that I find attractive.

But to completely disavow any romantic interest in an entire group over their ethnicity/race instead of being willing to give people a shot on their own merits, especially when there is a ton of physical variety within ethnicities/races is racist.

You monster.

But really this post pretty much sums up all that needs to be said.

Always because that's the way it's worded
Also people who think that way would still not date someone if they were only half or a quarter of that race as well

Dreavus

Yes.

If memory serves, you've nailed the thread progression, lol.

I think preferences play a part but blanket statements like the one in the OP aren't a good look.

99Luffy

Banned
'Im generally not into black girls/guys' - not racist
'He/she is hot but I dont date black people' - racist

(Dont know why I used black as an example..)

RevoDS

You're allowed to have sexual preferences, that's not racist.

A blanket, firm "I don't date X" is.

FUME5

'I think X girls are the hottest and so would prefer to date people with features similar to that ethnicity' is completely different to 'I won't date women of X ethnicity'.

mrkgoo

Is not finding a particular physical attribute attractive, something that is predominant in a particular race and hence refusing to date them racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom