• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sia dumb or does she just not care? Re: 'Music' /Autism

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Mixed race? She's just yellow like her costume and everything around her. It's paint.

Maddie always makes those annoying faces and movements in all her videos. Maybe she went overboard in this particular video because "autism" but whatever.

I think you were too influenced by outrage culture. Cancel Leo Dicaprio he played a retard in Gilbert Grape over 20 years ago lol!!!

TrainedRage

Banned
Ok so let me explain... This is NOT about being outraged, or cancel Sia or whatever. Maybe it is for YOU, but to me this is a much swept under the carpet subject about representation and ableism. Its about me spending nearly my entire life working with kids with autism or DCD or etc.

The problem for me is how this, like many other movies and media portray having a disability. Yes this movie offends autistic people. Yes there are autistic actors that could have actually played the role. Ask yourself why would Sia hire an autistic girl only to have said girl quit and be replaced by Maddie Ziegler? Wonder what happened and why?

I get upset when muh edgy bros come in and post memes about people being triggered yeah. It makes you look foolish. Have a conversation.

I guess it worked on ya huh? Jesus Christ do people seriously not know what ableism is?

I need to take a break. Thought people were better than this...
Nah, any time there's a topic about females(not game or movie characters), minorities being selected for something, or a celebrity getting flak for bad actions, some people love to jump in and ramble off their unrelated agenda while displaying their own insecurity. Pretty sure they don't interact much with anyone outside of their immediate family and Discord.

thefool

So you watched the video clip in OP and found nothing wrong with its depiction of Autistic people?
This type of light expressionism isn't dictated by right or wrong. I'm not a Sia fan, if that's what you're asking, but I'm not offended by her artisanship.

forzaAldi

Neo Member
I’m pretty sure there’s no intention to make fun of autistic people. It’s done in the weird, over-expressioned way that all of Sia’s videos are done. I don’t know the entirety of details that went on in the making of it, so maybe I’m missing something

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
This type of light expressionism isn't dictated by right or wrong. I'm not a Sia fan, if that's what you're asking, but I'm not offended by her artisanship.
I couldn't find a clip of the part where she has a meltdown then gets restrained on the floor. To me it was done in bad taste and really didn't need to be that disrespectful. Its also about a non autistic acting like an autistic person.

sol_bad

I couldn't find a clip of the part where she has a meltdown then gets restrained on the floor. To me it was done in bad taste and really didn't need to be that disrespectful. Its also about a non autistic acting like an autistic person.

Why is it an issue that a none autistic is acting in the role of an autistic person? Were you upset about Rain Man or Mercury Rising?

Last edited:

Ionian

Why is it an issue that a none autistic is acting in the role of an autistic person? Were you upset about Rain Man or Mercury Rising?

Did another Google for you. HTH! :D

"Why is it an issue that a none autistic", uh-huh. LOL.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
Yeah I thought they were pretty overdone and could have been acted by people with those disabilities. One of the reasons why I like American Horror Story is they have great actors who are great actors and have disabilities. There are plenty of great autistic actors you just don't know it... Again ask why?

These are some people you know who have autism...AND ACT!!!!
Daryl Hannah
Helena Bonham Carter
Dan Aykroyd
Dan Harmon
Woody Allen
Anthony Hopkins
.....Its almost like there are great actors with Autism who could have played the role. Hmmmm

Atrus

Gold Member
I had to do a little reading before understanding the OP.

If I have it right, Sia is directing a musical drama involving an autistic character named Music played by Ziegler. Ziegler plays an exaggerated version of an autistic character because the film is more about music, dancing, and superficial drama surrounding Music. In short, this is Oscar-bait designed in the style of a broadway musical.

Looking at the trailer, I'll say that I have no problem with it in that its using Autism as a theme to carry the plot like many movies have done with various disabilities. Its a shame the real-world autism acting is poor based on some reviews but I don't believe there was an intent to mock or dehumanize since a film like this would only have done better had that part been more accurate.

O-N-E

Lol, that does look fucked up.

Watching the trailer, it looks so bad that I kinda want to watch it now.

The sad part is even Ziegler was crying on set talking about how she didn't want to be mean or seem to be making fun of autistic people. If an 18 year old gets it it shouldn't be too hard to grasp.

Then Ziegler should have quit the production.

She should be sued for the fucking nightmarish facial expressions she unleashes on the world.

O-N-E

I'm not sitting through a 2:30min orange video, Trump's already left office and I don't wanna be forced to look at this shit color again.

So tempting to meme you...

Orange....mMmmamaaaan...BbbbabBBBBBbbbBbBBBaaAAAAaaaAaAaaaaaaaa....!

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I'm glad you could elaborate for Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes cuz apparently he could not have a proper conversation. The thing about all this isn't about canceling people, its about representation and people not knowing what the fuck they are doing.
I do not think this is the right tribune for representation, or even the right kind of representation to begin with.

Autism protection does not start by calling out (and claiming "rightly do") semi popular pop singers where its management only cares about the asset and its worth.
Validism ???
Is that even a word ? English is not my native language but even I know that doesn’t sound right.
Yes, that actually is a word. Its been picking up lately.

Funny that you say it does not sound right - that is close to what Validism is.
The shit people listen to these days is baffling. Is the chick dancing Sia ? First time hearing about this singer and her shitty music is enough for me to hopefully never hear any of her other songs.
God that’s awful
She also made Chandelier. Which is, imo a good poppy song, if a tad bland.

Ionian

Ah Sia has written some crackers both for others and herself. Had massive hits in both respects.

I always thought this one was catchy, not my type of music at all but she has undeniable talent for pop-music. Don't care for the more depressing stuff.

She's also been very open about having to struggle with addiction, depression and other hurdles. Quite saddening to hear her talk about it but I haven't listened to anything from her in years so don't know where her head-space is now.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
The problem for me is how this, like many other movies and media portray having a disability. Yes this movie offends autistic people. Yes there are autistic actors that could have actually played the role. Ask yourself why would Sia hire an autistic girl only to have said girl quit and be replaced by Maddie Ziegler? Wonder what happened and why?
The thing is...children that act like Maddie actually exist and no they would NOT be able to follow Sia's vision and do those complex dance moves and choreography. Those flashing lights and bright colors are supposed to represent "sensory overload" so of course it looks like that. Duh.

Maybe you would prefer if they only portray people with mild autism and Asperger like in the Good Doctor? Of course because that's positive representation. Autism=Genius. Let's hide the other side of the spectrum or else cancel/outrage.

You're not going to get that here. We have brains and we don't follow the mob. Sorry.

O-N-E

Weird coincidence, I remember watching this movie as a kid when it came on the TV.

Shia plays a mentally handicapped kid and does a decent job of it.

Ionian

Maddie always makes those annoying faces and movements in all her videos. Maybe she went overboard in this particular video because "autism" but whatever.

I think you were too influenced by outrage culture. Cancel Leo Dicaprio he played a retard in Gilbert Grape over 20 years ago lol!!!

'Retard'? again. Sure some thread responses ain't a honey-trap?

Sure seems like it to me.

Most feedback from people not saying "retard" were constructive and based on experience.

Apart from a few blatantly obvious troll posts, funny how they backed off once it was pointed out. Very odd indeed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom